SU Needle Dimensions

Started by Shrimps, May 27, 2018, 10:02:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shrimps

Anybody have the dimensions of the BFM 0.100" needle?

Mintylamb is currently non-functional so I've been graphing needles in Excel but the charts I've found online don't list the BFM needle.

Thanks.

Shrimps

Dang, nobody has the little SU needle book?  Guess I'll put one on my next order and post the specs here for future reference.

Also I figure we can use this thread if people want to know other needle dimensions as well.

MiniDave

Hang on, I have it....BFM

1. .099
2. .0962
3. .0933
4. .0905
5. .0876
6. .0849
7. .082
8. .0788
9. .0756
10. .0725
11. .0695
12. .0665
13. .0635
14. .0605
15. .0575
16. .0547
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

Since the "mintylamb" site went defunct (stopped working correctly due to software updates), I made an Excel page for manually doing needle comparisons.

Caution!  It does take a large screen presence or scrolling around to see it all.  It will compare several needles whose profiles are entered in the upper rows.

Feel free to modify as needed for your own personal uses.

Edit:
It does NOT have a library of the needle profiles.  It only has the few I was comparing for my 998.  You will have to replace my entries with ones of your own for the needles you want to visually compare.

MiniDave

I have the little blue book of needles, so if anyone needs me to look up a few, let me know......

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

jeff10049

Quote from: MiniDave on June 01, 2018, 09:54:25 AM
I have the little blue book of needles, so if anyone needs me to look up a few, let me know......

Ah I was wondering where you got the specs I searched for hours online for the BFM for Shrimps and gave up all my trusty sources of info did not show a BFM.

MiniDave

Ve have vays........ ;D

I can't believe how many needle profiles are in that book, did they make all of them? By grinding, or drawing thru a die or????

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Shrimps

Quote from: jeff10049 on June 01, 2018, 08:41:10 PM
Ah I was wondering where you got the specs I searched for hours online for the BFM for Shrimps and gave up all my trusty sources of info did not show a BFM.

Thank you Dave for posting the dimensions!

Also thanks Jeff for looking online as well.  I had done the same and found a lot of 0.100" needles but could never find anything about the BFM.

I just recently installed a BBW and had previously ran a BDL for a short time before the BFM.  My plugs were very white with the BFM and low and behold it's the leanest of all three!  I need to tune my idle on the BBW but otherwise what little I have driven it I did feel it had more pull at the top end.  The BFM seemed pretty flat higher up.

John Gervais

I've the SU needle book as well, and I have complete Excel charts which WinSU used as the source needles.  I got them from Scott Bevis.

Another fantastic option is Ian Hamilton's 'Needles' program:

http://mk1-performance-conversions.co.uk/technical_carb.htm

Yes, I helped Ian with testing it during development, corrected a few minor issues and it's quite frankly, MUCH better than mintylamb ever was.  In fact, Ian showed it to Berlen Fuel Systems not too long ago, and they loved it.
- Pave the Bay -

jeff10049

Quote from: MiniDave on June 01, 2018, 08:50:35 PM
Ve have vays........ ;D

I can't believe how many needle profiles are in that book, did they make all of them? By grinding, or drawing thru a die or????

Swiss screw machine style lathes a mechanical Version of a CNC these days CNC versions exist.
Swiss laths have a moving headstock and the cutter only moves in and out the work is supported by a bushing near the cutter adding support for small diameter stock.
The taper is cut in one pass then the needle parted off the bar feeder advances stock and repeat the old mechanical swiss machines can give the most modern CNC's a run for the money they crank out parts like you wouldn't believe.
Cams run everything on the mechanical machines master cams are made for the travel of x, y, and z  off a handmade part once the profile cams are made parts can be cranked out.
I'll try to post some videos soon