Fitting a fusible link to my Mini

Started by BruceK, June 09, 2018, 09:46:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BruceK

It's always bugged me a little how few fuses there are on our Minis.  Granted, Minis have pretty simple electrical systems, but preventing complications when something shorts out is always a good idea in my opinion.

I've never heard of any problems with the postive battery cable running up underneath the car to the starter solenoid, but that cable is carrying a lot of amps and it terminates in a pretty vulnerable location right behind the grille.  So I decided to fit a fusible link to add a little margin of safety.

I chose a fusible link module that fits early 2000's Mitusbishi Lancers (and some other Mitsubishis).   It's a compact design that sits right on the positive battery termininal and is readily available and cheap (under $20).   And if it ever blows unexpectedly, it is simple enough to bypass it until I get a new one.

It took about 15 minutes to install.   And I got to use a cable crimping tool I purchased a while ago!

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MiniDave

That's a pretty slick deal!

How many amps is it rated for?
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Willie_B

Good idea. It looks neat and tidy.

Where did you source the fusible link? 

BruceK

Quote from: MiniDave on June 09, 2018, 10:40:36 AM
That's a pretty slick deal!

How many amps is it rated for?
It's rated for 120 amps.  Which I think should be plenty.  The only way I see it blowing would be if the battery cable became grounded - like in an accident.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

BruceK

Quote from: Willie_B on June 09, 2018, 10:46:48 AM
Good idea. It looks neat and tidy.

Where did you source the fusible link?

You can get the fusible link at any auto parts store (AutoZone, O'Reilly's, etc.).  It's also available on Amazon.    It fits
2002-2007 Lancer w/2.0 non turbo Lancer, 2004-2006 w/2.4 Outlander, 2004-2006 w/2.4 Endeaver, 2004-2009 All Galant, 2000-2009 All Eclipse. 

Here it is for $15.99 at Advance Auto Parts.

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/dorman-oe-solutions-battery-fuse-926-012/11381694-p?c3ch=PLA&c3nid=11381694-P&adtype=pla_with_promotion&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIuqTAxZ3H2wIVDTZpCh28RwB5EAQYASABEgIlafD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I found the battery terminal clamp on eBay - it's for a Toyota/Lexus but it fits the Mitsubishi fuse perfectly.  I'm guessing it's sort of a Japanese standard battery terminal clamp, so it should be available lots of places. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Positive-Battery-Terminal-Clamp-Assembly-fit-Toyota-Lexus-Nissan-P-N-90982-05035/192369613676?hash=item2cca1f5b6c:g:yPgAAOSwHYpaEkQB

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

jeff10049

Good Idea that long cable run concerns me.
On my car I took it to the shop and put it on the lift to check it out after the first 100 miles. I had intended to add an extra layer of protection over the cable before fully bending the tabs over so they were just loosely bent over the cable.

The cable had come out and was melted to the exhaust when I pulled it off there couldn't have been more than 2 thousands of an inch of insulation left before disaster I could see the wire strands it was so thin.

My friend Daves 62 almost burnt. He was working in his garage and saw a glow under the mini something in the floor start button had shorted to the housing and the whole switch was bright red and starting to flame up He pulled the battery cable quick and put it out.
Had he not been in the garage the car and probably the garage would be gone.

After thtat we both put 200amp fuses on our cars at the battery.

Vikram

That happened to me on one of the first days out with the car after the restoration. Cable shorted against the exhaust and killed the car instantly. The high current severed the terminal camp and fortunately isolated the problem. Changed the battery, put in a new line and installed it well away from the exhaust and secured it firmly with p clips. Even still, that fuse seems like a great idea.

BruceK

Quote from: jeff10049 on June 09, 2018, 12:03:12 PM
Good Idea that long cable run concerns me.
On my car I took it to the shop and put it on the lift to check it out after the first 100 miles. I had intended to add an extra layer of protection over the cable before fully bending the tabs over so they were just loosely bent over the cable.

The cable had come out and was melted to the exhaust when I pulled it off there couldn't have been more than 2 thousands of an inch of insulation left before disaster I could see the wire strands it was so thin.

My friend Daves 62 almost burnt. He was working in his garage and saw a glow under the mini something in the floor start button had shorted to the housing and the whole switch was bright red and starting to flame up He pulled the battery cable quick and put it out.
Had he not been in the garage the car and probably the garage would be gone.

After thtat we both put 200amp fuses on our cars at the battery.

Quote from: Vikram on June 09, 2018, 12:03:12 PM
That happened to me on one of the first days out with the car after the restoration. Cable shorted against the exhaust and killed the car instantly. The high current severed the terminal camp and fortunately isolated the problem. Changed the battery, put in a new line and installed it well away from the exhaust and secured it firmly with p clips. Even still, that fuse seems like a great idea

Wow.  I had not heard of any electrical incidents with the positive battery cable, but here you guys go and provide 3 scary tales right off the bat!  I feel very justified in doing the install.

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

Jimini II

Nice install and worth the piece of mind for not a whole lot of money and yes i have run into the same issue with the exhaust shorting out on the battery cable.

jeff10049

I also carry a fire extinguisher in the boot.

BruceK

Yup. Back in the 1970s - when I had my first Mini - over the course of two consecutive days I saw two different cars on fire on the side of the road (one being a Porsche 356).  I went and bought a car fire extinguisher the next day.  And I've had one in my various Minis since then.  Never had to use it.  But cheap insurance. 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S