Exhaust slip fittings

Started by Shrimps, May 27, 2018, 12:11:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shrimps

What tricks does everybody use to get exhaust slip fittings to seal?  My Y pipe for the LCB header is leaking like mad on each branch.  I haven't yet inspected the other fittings.

LCB header & Y are coated and twin box RC40 is stainless.

Any thoughts and/or suggestions?

MiniDave

I use this stuff, does the job! They also make hi temp RTV if you prefer......

Mix it up well in the tube so it comes out like a thick paste.

https://www.amazon.com/Walker-35959-Hardware-Sealing-Compound/dp/B000CQDL94
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Shrimps

Thanks for the input.  Does the Walker stuff allow for removal in the future?

I found in town what looks to be an equivalent JB Weld product (Extreme Heat Metallic Paste) but am scared I'll never get the exhaust apart should I need to in the future.

I guess I may not be able to have it both ways!

MiniDave

The Walker stuff will come apart again, but you'll have to clean off the residue and reapply it when you put it back together.....I've used that stuff for decades. In fact I still have the tube I bought to seal up the downpipe on my first Mini, in 1968!

Not so sure about the JB Weld....I'm thinking that's meant to be a permanent solution.

Are you anywhere near our member Jeff in Bend?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Shrimps

Good to hear about removal.  I found a tube  in town at Napa (for cheaper than Amazon!). It didn't have the Walker brand on it but otherwise is identical.

Now I get to take apart the whole exhaust system to apply. Yay!

I'm in Medford which is about 3 hours southwest of Bend.

MiniDave

Knead that tube real good to mix up the stuff, I've seen it come out of the tube really liquidy if you don't. It should be a thick very viscous paste when it comes out of the tube and when you apply it After you put it together go ahead and run the engine, it's the heat that causes it to set up and seal up.

Oh, and welcome to the forum!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Shrimps

Thanks, I'll be sure and knead it real good first.  It looks like the package has been on the shelf a while.  Glad to hear yours has lasted so long.

I did find it amusing the paste has a flammable warning on the package.

Shrimps

What color is the acousti seal supposed to be?  I haven't opened the tube yet but I started kneading it and managed to put a couple pin holes in the tube.

What leaked out is a real dark color, almost black.  Does that sound right?

MiniDave

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Shrimps

Shrimps

I took apart the exhaust system and used the acousti seal upon reassembly.  It definitely helped.  I think I still may have a small leak on one branch of the Y pipe.  Had I used more up there I think it would have sealed for sure.  That was my first joint when putting back together so I was being somewhat conservative.  I should have known better.

At some point I'll take it apart again and use more on the Y pipe.  Hopefully it's not too difficult to clean off the old stuff the next time around.

Thanks for the recommendation Dave.

MiniDave

It scrapes off easily enough or you can use emery cloth strips wrapped around the pipe to sand it off, then when you reassemble use a fairly thick coating on the pipe. After you put it together again, start the engine and let it get the pipes hot, that will set the sealer up.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad