This may explain why I have not been completely happy with my brakes

Started by Willie_B, May 24, 2018, 06:54:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Willie_B

This is the brake light switch. It is less than a year old. I was told during the CMU drives in the mountains that my brake lights were iffy. In the process of converting over to a regular switch on the pedal this is what I found when went to remove the wires off the old switch. It does not look like much but it does not take much to have a soft pedal.
This is an Accel switch.

MiniDave

I can't tell, is one of the tabs broken off? Or is the switch leaking?
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Willie_B

The top of the switch is leaking. I am going to pull this one and epoxy the inlet hole off.

MiniDave

Uh, I think if you're not going to use the switch I would simply replace it with a plug. Unless that switch has a copper washer under it (in which case use a bolt and washer) it should just be 1/8th pipe thread, put a brass plug in it and be done forever. I would not trust epoxy in a brake system.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Willie_B

I think I may have not been real clear. I will plug the hole in the end of the switch and reinstall it.

MiniDave

No, I got that, I just don't like relying on epoxy in the brake system.......

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

Since the socket the switch screws into also acts as a "banjo" bolt for the right front brake connection, be sure it is not going to clog or block that portion of the socket/bolt.

I would suggest something like an AN-3 thread plug.  The AN-3 thread is the same as the switch and other brake line connections.

Example:
https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS-Performance-Products/555/100350/10002/-1

jeff10049

epoxy is a bad idea get a plug.
It may be the straight thread MPlayle posted but mine was a taper thread 1/8th inch pipe super easy to get a plug for.

tmsmini

Isn't there a banjo bolt that could be used to replace the one with the hole for the switch?

Willie_B

I think the bolt from Minispares looks like the best way to go. Will add it to my next order.

Thanks to all for your input.

tmsmini

Are the thread size and holes the same? When was the switch made to the mechanical switch?
I was looking for one I had somewhere to check the size, but could not find it.
Terry

Flyinace2000

After replacing 3 switches in 2 years I plugged mine and ran the wire to a small micros switch with the arm resting on the brake pedal. As the pedal travels away the circuit is complete. 

Rosebud

I gave up trying to get a pressure switch to work after replacing it 3 times. Bought a simple plunger type that works off the brake pedal. Although my car had a OEM pressure switch, the brake pedal assembly had an unused bracket for the plunger type. I now have brake lights!
Rosebud
...the sled, not the flower
https://www.facebook.com/PoserMotorSports