Engine stopped whenever I press the clutch

Started by jboost97, May 22, 2018, 01:25:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jboost97

Greetings! New guy here in the Mini world. I have an ongoing race car project. 1380cc engine running with an HIF 44 carb and pre verto components. I have a problem, whenever I press the clutch (AP racing clutch), engine just stops even before I shift to a gear. I really had no idea what's the main problem on this one. I need some suggestions on how I would be able to fix this problem.

Thank you in advance 😁😁

jedduh01

Does the race assembly include a lightened flywheel? and a Lumpy Race cam?

Can you rev it up and keep it going?

Scargo

While someone else pushes in the clutch, look very closely to the front crank pulley. If it moves a bunch, you have an issue with the thrust washers inside the engine. I'm not sure what the allowable  movement is, but you can probably look it up in a shop annual or on the web. If the amount of movement is greater than allowable it'll mean an engine tear down.

jboost97

Quote from: jedduh01 on May 22, 2018, 05:43:06 AM
Does the race assembly include a lightened flywheel? and a Lumpy Race cam?

Can you rev it up and keep it going?

It's not a lightened flywheel but it runs a custom made race cam. Unfortunately, it can't. Once I step the clutch, it suddenly stops even before I rev it up to keep it going.

jboost97

Quote from: Scargo on May 24, 2018, 07:56:47 PM
While someone else pushes in the clutch, look very closely to the front crank pulley. If it moves a bunch, you have an issue with the thrust washers inside the engine. I'm not sure what the allowable  movement is, but you can probably look it up in a shop annual or on the web. If the amount of movement is greater than allowable it'll mean an engine tear down.

Alright! will check that out. thanks!

jboost97

Hello guys! still can't solve the problem here, but we're still looking out for it and still waiting for some other suggestions. Will keep updating this post from time to time. Thanks everyone!

MiniDave

2-4 thousandths is the amount of allowable end play in the crank.

Does it seem like an electrical issue? Like the ignition just cuts off? If so I'd be checking the wire harness to see if something is rubbing a wire when you move the pedal or linkage
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

jeff10049

Dave makes a good point about electrical.
Has it always done this since getting it running or after a major change? Could the neutral safety switch if it has one be wired incorrectly and cutting off power to the ignition when the clutch is pressed.

Jimini II

You should be able to check the end float without it running. Try running an extra ground wire. For testing just use a battery jumper cable from the body to the engine.

BruceK

Quote from: jeff10049 on May 25, 2018, 09:36:48 PM
Could the neutral safety switch if it has one be wired incorrectly and cutting off power to the ignition when the clutch is pressed.

Does such a thing exist on a Mini?   I kinda doubt it.  I think it's a US-only thing due to our laws.  I know the 2018 Fiat 500 I rented in the UK earlier this month did not have one. 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

jeff10049

seems like my 94 spi had one it was German spec car but I can't remember for sure.
It's cool that all that safety shit is not on UK cars. If you are too stupid to know how to start your car you shouldn't be driving.

MiniDave

Just FYI, Somerford does show a neutral safety switch for all automatic transmission Minis, but none on any manual transmission cars, either on the pedals, linkage or shifter. And it would only inhibit the starter from engaging, it would not kill the engine once it was running.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Shrimps

Canadian cars have a switch/sensor on the rod change shifter that senses nuetral.  I've got one on my UK MKIV that someday I want to wire up so shifter has to be in nuetral AND the clutch NOT be depressed before the starter will engage.

I'll take a pic of the shifter when I'm under the car next week working on exhaust if anybody is interested.

But even if the OP car is equipped with nuetral switch it should  have nothing to do with the problem as his car sounds like it dies when actuating only the clutch pedal, not the gear shift.

To the OP; at what point of pushing in the clutch does it shut down?  Do you start to feel any hydraulic resistance at all or does it shut down as soon as the pedal moves?

Shrimps

Here's a pic of the Canadian nuetral safety switch (installed on my UK MKIV).  It uses the same sensor as the reverse lights on the rod change shifter.  It currently has a busted tab for the other electrical connection.

Shifter is in nuetral for pic.  Move to first or third and rod extends further out the tail and triggers sensor.  Shift to second or fourth and the rod retracts into the shifter, again triggering sensor.

BruceK

Quote from: Shrimps on June 09, 2018, 11:59:24 AM
Here's a pic of the Canadian nuetral safety switch (installed on my UK MKIV).  It uses the same sensor as the reverse lights on the rod change shifter.  It currently has a busted tab for the other electrical connection.

Shifter is in nuetral for pic.  Move to first or third and rod extends further out the tail and triggers sensor.  Shift to second or fourth and the rod retracts into the shifter, again triggering sensor.

Cool.  Thanks for the explanation and photo - I never knew that existed.   I am surprised is on the shift mechanism.  I think most manufacturers put the switch on the clutch pedal - so it the pedal to be pushed in to start the car and it doesn't matter if the car is in gear or not. 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

Jimini II

It's better off on the shifter in a Mini as we don't need any increased wear on the fragile thrust washers.

MiniDave

So jboost97, what did you find out? anything?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad