Basil - Retro Restoraion in progress

Started by thebluepotato, April 08, 2013, 03:45:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thebluepotato

Interesting to see the last dyno plot - red line is where the carbs were set for first run and assumed it was running correctly....but clearly under powered and very lean...dangerously lean.  Green line shows where it is now and more in line and almost nailed 60hp at the wheels (almost 15hp gain from tuning) on the last run.  Still need to dial in some lean into the curve, but really seeing the strength from the 1293.

thebluepotato

Finally, you can see I put my original wheels back on - those MB Racing monsters that I fell in love with 5 years ago when I started the resto-mod on Basil.  I was at a cross road this month with going deluxe arch trip (no arches) or arches - in particular the early 80's type that 1) are built like a truck and 2) fit perfectly.  Went back and forth with fiberglass arches and the ones I got were just a tad wide.  I think Im going with the arches that came on the mini and they are being repainted satin black now.  Im going to need a few beers before I start to put 16 holes into those pristine panels....at least I have some serious stainless hardware to use here....I tend to go overboard with "smart hardware" and not use the standard "sheet metal screws for everything" mindset.

94touring

I'm surprised it even ran that lean!

My gaz full soft feel nearly stock.

MiniDave

I know you like the stance, but I'll bet if you raise the front up an inch the harshness will go away....ask me how I know.

I wound up with my front shocks almost dead soft and the rears up 4 notches - those were the ProTech shocks.
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

gr8kornholio

Keep it low, add padding to seats.  77.gif
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

thebluepotato

Its only harsh on the rears and it is not harsh in terms of compression - like it is bottoming out.  It is not bottoming out.

What is happening on the rears is that any time I go over a reflector (below) in the road (for example), the loudness is like a BANG on the back end and really shocking (lol).  Set GAZ on rear to full soft and also did 2-3 clicks above soft.  The rear arms (where the brake pipe attaches to the metal tab on top - pictured here are close but not contacting the body of the car - which is what I thought was happening.  Also, rear suspension do not have bump stops built in - like the front.

So I am not sure why this is happening.  I suspect that even if I raise the rear - same reflectors and same BANG when it go over any kind of straight edge in the road.

gr8kornholio

Loose shock mount or subframe mount.

Battery bouncing or spare tire.

Loose gas tank. 

Lost tool.

My first thought was the brake line tab, but that should leave pretty obvious marks if its hitting.
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

MiniDave

Not just a noise, he can feel it as it hits a sharp edge.....some more miles on the shocks might ease that, it did on mine.
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

thebluepotato

Quote from: gr8kornholio on July 27, 2018, 08:12:40 AM
Loose shock mount or subframe mount.

Battery bouncing or spare tire.

Loose gas tank. 

Lost tool.

My first thought was the brake line tab, but that should leave pretty obvious marks if its hitting.

I double checked all mounts prior....but it is almost like the bushings are missing from the top shock mounts - at least it feels that way.  Will take a peek.

jedduh01

Are your Gaz confirmed the Lowered set?
   I have mistakenly run a standard set of gaz before at a low ride height and they would bottom out on  neighborhood speed bumps with a solid thud.

I would just add an inch of overall height for a general 'change' and see how that does.
  Your stance looks great but you could be on the bump stops as it sits.

94touring

Was going to suggest the lowered shocks as well.  Very well could be standard bottoming out.

Jimini II

Quote from: thebluepotato on July 26, 2018, 01:37:16 PM
Finally, you can see I put my original wheels back on - those MB Racing monsters that I fell in love with 5 years ago when I started the resto-mod on Basil.  I was at a cross road this month with going deluxe arch trip (no arches) or arches - in particular the early 80's type that 1) are built like a truck and 2) fit perfectly.  Went back and forth with fiberglass arches and the ones I got were just a tad wide.  I think Im going with the arches that came on the mini and they are being repainted satin black now.  Im going to need a few beers before I start to put 16 holes into those pristine panels....at least I have some serious stainless hardware to use here....I tend to go overboard with "smart hardware" and not use the standard "sheet metal screws for everything" mindset.

If you have not installed the Mini special arches yet the Wood & Pickett ones install with screws into the seam/lip so if you change your mind no holes to fill, just a thought.
You are right of all the flares available for Mini's the Special's fit the best. I have thought of instead of painting the textured special flares to use a set of the stainless look covers that fit over them but sand and etch prime them good and then choose your colour, they cover up all the screws and give it a finished look imo.

Beautiful build and colour combination congrats.

thebluepotato

Quote from: jedduh01 on July 27, 2018, 09:44:57 AM
Are your Gaz confirmed the Lowered set?
   I have mistakenly run a standard set of gaz before at a low ride height and they would bottom out on  neighborhood speed bumps with a solid thud.

I would just add an inch of overall height for a general 'change' and see how that does.
  Your stance looks great but you could be on the bump stops as it sits.

Yes, GAZ GTO-2024...unless MiniSPort swapped out the shocks in the box  8.gif