New radiator!

Started by ADRay, May 17, 2018, 07:53:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ADRay

Just a quick write-up of the radiator swap I did last Sunday. I decided to delete my heater while I was at it, in order to simplify the setup. I went with the highly recommended Chinese eBay 52mm unit. Pictures here are of before and during 
1982 Mini 1000 HL
@andyray998

ADRay

Pics of the finished job. I also took the opportunity to replace both hoses, install a new speedometer cable and replace the belt. All said and done, the job took me 4 hours.
1982 Mini 1000 HL
@andyray998

94touring

Have you taken it for a spin yet and noted any temp changes?

MiniDave

I had to top mine off after the first time I drove it, since then it's never dropped a drop!  4.gif

I take it you didn't change the thermostat while you had the coolant out and two of the nuts off already?
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

ADRay

Quote from: 94touring on May 17, 2018, 07:59:53 AM
Have you taken it for a spin yet and noted any temp changes?

Yes. I've run it for about 30 miles since the swap. It is much more peppy than prior. I'm pretty sure the rad was original, and the coolant that came out of it looked like sewage.
1982 Mini 1000 HL
@andyray998

ADRay

Quote from: MiniDave on May 17, 2018, 08:32:58 AM
I had to top mine off after the first time I drove it, since then it's never dropped a drop!  4.gif

I take it you didn't change the thermostat while you had the coolant out and two of the nuts off already?

I didn't. I had the head replaced on it three years ago, and it was replaced then. I should have had them do the radiator back then.
1982 Mini 1000 HL
@andyray998