Roof and Gutter Painting Question

Started by John Gervais, April 24, 2018, 04:55:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Gervais

Warmer weather is finally here and I've got a twist-knot brush to clean out the old paint and rust from the gutter, but I'm wondering "what's the best way forward"?

Is it normally just 'prime and paint' when doing the roof or does one normally use any sort of filler material deep down in the gutter? 
- Pave the Bay -

94touring

All I ever do is remove all gutter gunk, either media blast or wire wheel, then sealer prime, filler prime, final prime, and paint.  I don't even sand in the gutter when prepping a roof but the gutters always come out clean and glossy.

John Gervais

- Pave the Bay -

jeff10049

They do make a self leveling seam sealer that might work good but I would do it Dan's way just get enough primer in there to seal it up and you'll be fine.  I've never heard of one leaking into the car no matter how you do it anyway.
I used a non self leveling seam sealer in mine and it was hard to get it to look good.

94touring

I basically use the filler primer as a self leveling sealant.  My thought on it is the primer should look cleaner and outlast sealants you typically see in our gutters that are cracking, peeling, and looking ratty.

Nicholasupton

From bare metal I use a self etching primer, scuff with red scotch bright, blow clean, mask the inner and outer edges, and use SEM self leveling seam sealer #39387, then using an acid brush push the sealer to top outside edge of the gutter and let it flow back towards the roof, remove tape while wet so the edges lay down and paint with the rest of the roof. 

John Gervais

That's a good idea - using a brush to work the sealer into all the sheltered areas that might not get direct spray. 

I might have found a guy with a spray gun and compressor who'd be willing to sacrifice a Saturday, so I might even get to use some decent paint!

Thanks for the many tips and good ideas -
- Pave the Bay -