Need rubber ujoint

Started by tsumini, April 16, 2018, 09:24:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tsumini

I was tryting to get the engine/subframe installed in the Austin 60 850 when I found a piece of rubber protruding from the joint and fouling on the engine (very little clearance there). MM has to order from England and won't get there until the 27th and I wantewd to get the install done in  the next couple of days. It shouild be easier than with engine installed.

1st is it strong enough to use as is trimmimg to piece off (its just hanging so has no structural value.

2nd Does anyone have a good serviceable joint they can send ASAP? or new ?

MiniDave

I posted in your other thread that 7 Ent in California has them in stock, or you can get them from MiniSpares in about 3 days via DHL, cost will be less from Spares even coming all the way from England!

If the rubber is squished out like that it means it's failed or is about to, trimming the excess and using it anyway is not a good idea.
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

gr8kornholio

I should have a spare of the plastic version that minispares sells.  They are an upgrade from the rubber ones.

http://www.minispares.com/product/Classic/Drivetrain/CV%20Joints/QL5000.aspx?0801&ReturnUrl=/product/Classic/Drivetrain/Driveshaft/GCD101.aspx|Back%20to

If you can find someone that sells it this expandable vise grip tool makes the job simple, even when on the car.  I was able to get them through a local Fastenal.

http://stronghandtools.com/stronghandtools/products/pliers/strong-grip/stronggrip-paj/
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

tsumini

Quote from: MiniDave on April 16, 2018, 09:30:46 AM
I posted in your other thread that 7 Ent in California has them in stock, or you can get them from MiniSpares in about 3 days via DHL, cost will be less from Spares even coming all the way from England!

If the rubber is squished out like that it means it's failed or is about to, trimming the excess and using it anyway is not a good idea.
Thanks Dave i just ordered from minispares. They kinda have me scratching my head though. On 4/11 I ordered several parts which turned out to be 19 line items but 10 of those were listed as a kit. The next morning I added one item and they confirmed. The following day 4/12 I orderd five tires.  Today I got the tires. The first order just got sent out 4/14 and processed by DHL  today the 16th. Apparently they can get out a single item quickly but several items take a while although five days seem excessive. So the parts I expected today to finish the subframe won't get here til; the 19th.  8.gif

Yeassh I looked at the rubber and all four lobes were squished out.
Thanks for your help.

tsumini

Quote from: gr8kornholio on April 16, 2018, 10:27:34 AM
I should have a spare of the plastic version that minispares sells.  They are an upgrade from the rubber ones.

http://www.minispares.com/product/Classic/Drivetrain/CV%20Joints/QL5000.aspx?0801&ReturnUrl=/product/Classic/Drivetrain/Driveshaft/GCD101.aspx|Back%20to

If you can find someone that sells it this expandable vise grip tool makes the job simple, even when on the car.  I was able to get them through a local Fastenal.

http://stronghandtools.com/stronghandtools/products/pliers/strong-grip/stronggrip-paj/

Thanks for your offer but I think I'll just wait for Minispares.
I presume you would use the pliers to hold the shaft while untorquing the 4 bolts. I took two off a 60 morris and it was difficult enough for me to wait a few days since I have access now.
Thanks again

gr8kornholio

I had no problem getting them off by just holding the shaft. They shouldn't be that tight.  The vise grips were for getting the u bolts back in. Mine refused to line up with both holes.  The other benefit was you can increase/decrease the vise pressure with the crank handle on the end. Bought a needle nose and regular versions too.
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

tsumini

Ok the u clamp has to be squeezed slightly tro go into holes. I understand now and can see where they would be handy.

MPlayle

If your engine is still out of the car, I would highly recommend being patient and waiting for them to arrive to install before putting the engine in the car.

The new 'U' bolts will require some squeezing to get to fit into the yokes.  Having the engine/subframe out of the car give lots more room to make the test fitting and adjusting the 'U' bolts before putting them over the new rubber crosses.

I did the ones on my Moke that way.  Easy access from the top with the engine/subframe out.

tsumini

Yeah that's why I'm waiting. I could put the SF in now but don't look forward to changing out the rubber yoke in the car. I also didn't want to put in the bad one and hope. Besides it's been six years on the project, what's another couple days.