Bumpers MK1 thru MK5?

Started by Lone Star Mini, April 04, 2018, 09:07:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lone Star Mini

Still wading through the learning curve and struggling with the Mini Spares part numbers w/descriptions.  The '64 Cooper that I purchased recently does not have the bumpers and I fully plan to restore back to original condition.  I'm curious as to the various bumper styles as I've seen some that appear to wrap around towards the wheel well at the ends while other do not (I think?).  I've selected one bumper kit that includes the overrides, but I'm trying to determine the difference between the front and rear bumpers...  I will look through my books once home, but I thought I would ask the knowledge base out there.  Is there a real difference between front and rear bumpers for the various MK1 thru MK5 styles?
Lone Star Mini
1982 Morris Mini 1000HL (heck of a lot of work ahead of me)
1992(?) Mini Cooper
1964 Austin Cooper
1980 Mini 95 (Pickup)

MiniDave

Up to '69 all the bumpers are the same, front and rear, however they used to have different numbers for the ones that had overriders and corner bars, as those were drilled for those parts, however you can't buy those anymore, you have to buy a stainless bumper and drill the extra holes - you don't want to drill the chrome ones cause they'll rust where you drill them.

I think the MS25 kit from MiniSpares is what you want.... spendy, but it looks like it has all the right pieces.

If you really want to confuse yourself, got to Somerford, they have all the original part numbers and descriptions, but most have been superceded to the ones like MiniSpares sells. 

http://www.somerfordmini.co.uk/eshop/index.php?main_page=page&id=28
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Lone Star Mini

Thanks Dave.  The MS25 is what I currently have selected and I see that the rear bumper has a "shorter" override.  Now trying to discern the differences over the years outside of the overrides
Lone Star Mini
1992(?) Mini Cooper
1964 Austin Cooper
1980 Mini 95 (Pickup)

MiniDave

Yes, the rears overriders are different to clear the boot lid when it's open.

I have a pic of my old 62 that shows these, I'll look for it......

I didn't find the pic of my car, but I DID find this one of Bruce standing beside his first Mini.......

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Lone Star Mini

Ha.  I enjoyed the pic of Bruce more.  Thanks Dave
Lone Star Mini
1992(?) Mini Cooper
1964 Austin Cooper
1980 Mini 95 (Pickup)

BruceK

And here's a newer Mini and an older Bruce!   ;D
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MiniDave

But no rear overriders on that one....  :-)

I didn't realize your old Mini had a Webasto sunroof!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Quote from: MiniDave on April 04, 2018, 02:42:21 PM
But no rear overriders on that one....  :-)

I didn't realize your old Mini had a Webasto sunroof!

It did not.   But it did have red and white stripes that started behind each headlight, ran down the wings, continued up past the windshield, and curved around the roof.    That is what you are seeing.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Lone Star Mini

Wow, I can't see the stripes.  Looks like a sunroof
Lone Star Mini
1992(?) Mini Cooper
1964 Austin Cooper
1980 Mini 95 (Pickup)

BruceK

It was a thick red stripe bordered by a thin blue stripe on either side.  I didn't do it - bought it painted that way.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

jeff10049

Can you still get the long bumpers that wrap around further? MY car should have them but I could not locate a reproduction anywhere. They were fitted until April Or May Of 1960.

You don't want the long ones if you are going for correct. As far as I know, they were only fitted to very early cars up to about mid-1960.

pic of long bumper

jeff10049

farseer80

Quote from: BruceK on April 04, 2018, 01:49:16 PM
And here's a newer Mini and an older Bruce!   ;D

Nice Mini!

Lone Star Mini

I received the Mini Spares MS25 full kit for both front and back bumpers including risers.  Both Front and Back are identical and never wrap around as shown in the previous photos...  a little disappointed I guess
Lone Star Mini
1992(?) Mini Cooper
1964 Austin Cooper
1980 Mini 95 (Pickup)