PennGrade1 20-50 oil

Started by croc7, March 27, 2018, 03:43:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

croc7

Anyone using it?  What's the general opinion on using a semi-synthetic oil?  Back in the 70's, I used Kendall which was a green oil brand that morphed into Brad Penn which morphed into PennGrade1. Really liked Kendall oil in the Tii but am not sure about the effect of a semi-syn on the gearbox of the mini.

MiniDave

I run Brad Penn (soon to be Penn Grade) 20W50 in my car and I think it does just fine. I buy it by the case from my local oil distributor and it runs me just over $6 a quart - $73 inc tax for a 12 qt case. It's supposed to have a bit more ZDDP in it than say VR1 (1500 vs 1200 PPM) and I haven't noticed any adverse effects. Cheapest I've found VR-1 locally is a little over $7 qt. Those two are the only ones I know of that work well in our engine/transmichigans....

However....

A local race engine builder says I don't need to do that, any cheap modern 20W50 is actually better, just add the appropriate amount of Cam Shield and you're good to go.

I haven't decided which way to jump yet, but I just used my last qt of Brad Penn doing an oil change, so I'll need to make a decision soon.
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Scargo

Dave,

What reason did the engine builder give you for recommending against Penn?

MiniDave

He said it didn't have the same levels of detergent as most modern oils - the only thing they're missing is of course the zinc, which you can buy and add to it.

However, Bruce did a little investigating and found that the Penn Grade does have large levels of detergents in it. I use the Penn Grade in my Jag and my Mini and have not had any issues, so I'm still using the Penn Grade in my cars.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Quote from: MiniDave on June 27, 2018, 08:09:45 PM
He said it didn't have the same levels of detergent as most modern oils - the only thing they're missing is of course the zinc, which you can buy and add to it.

However, Bruce did a little investigating and found that the Penn Grade does have large levels of detergents in it. I use the Penn Grade in my Jag and my Mini and have not had any issues, so I'm still using the Penn Grade in my cars.

Here's that thread:   http://www.restorationmini.com/forum/index.php?topic=1498.msg24971#msg24971
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

Scargo

I asked the question because I use Penn 20/50 in my Mini's and Sprite, and I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something..

MiniDave

I'm still using it and recommending it to folks with old English engines.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad