Ebay Alloy Radiators - opinions

Started by Turbodave, March 14, 2018, 12:08:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Turbodave

As this looks like my new favourite US based mini forum, I figured I'd also link to this post on TurboMinis
Screw minimania. I hope everyone quits it, and that scooterboy gets to replace Jemal as the expert over there.

Lots of pics, so if you're still using your AOL CD / placemat to access the interwebs, it may take a few minutes  4.gif

http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.php?p=vt&tid=612638

Not tried the rad out yet, but thought I'd throw it up here as it'll be in direct replacement of the minispares "super-2 core" that just isn't working out for me any more.

94touring

Many of us have used these Chinese ebay rads with great success.  Every car I do, including my own, gets one. 

Welcome to the forum.  77.gif.   Scooterboy free since 2009. 

Turbodave

Quote from: 94touring on March 14, 2018, 12:13:12 PM
Scooterboy free since 2009.

Yes, but have you been "shirtless exposing my nipples" free since 2009?

That seems to be the most important question.

94touring

Nipple exposure free since early 2000s.  I never go on MM but sounds like it's good I don't.

MiniDave

I replaced a 2 core with one of these and it works brilliantly, for the money I think they are a terrific buy. I've done three of them in my cars and a friends car, none of us has had a problem with them.....
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Turbodave

Did you guys that upgraded to these have issues with the two-core cooling, such that the difference was obvious first time out with the alloy unit?

MiniDave

Yes I went from more than 3/4 up the gauge on a really hot day (90+) to just under half - perfect!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

My old worn out 998 and probably original radiator would continually run hot to the point of having to pull over on a hot midwest day. Put in the alloy radiator and problem solved. There are several ones to choose from online, from thin to thick.  I went with the thickest possible.  I want to say it was nearly 50% more capacity. 

Turbodave

94 - that looks like it's the 50mm or maybe the 53mm version (depending how its measured).

There is a mac-daddy 70mm (2.75" core width) unit also available: https://www.ebay.com/itm/3-ROW-70mm-ALLOY-RADIATOR-MINI-COOPER-S-CLUBMAN-Leyland-1275GT-850-998-1098-1275/152421898552?hash=item237d0d9938:g:Tc8AAMXQUmFShwv6&vxp=mtr
but its three times the price!

94touring

I want to say mine was advertised as 53 or 54mm.  The 70mm would require modifying the inner wing as mine barely fits as is.

Edit: just went back and looked when I bought this rad and it was advertised aa a 50mm 2 core. 

Turbodave

I think I'm going to run this without the factory yellow fan, and instead put some ducting to pull air from the grill into the rad instead of from both sides of the engine (especially as my downpipe will likely glow red on a full boost hard pull).

MiniDave

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

I also tried fanless with no luck.

Turbodave

Yeah, I'm not saying fanless - just using the 800CFM Spal fan driven by my ECU.

I can control fan on temp, fan off temp, and if the temp sensor goes open circuit, then it'll default to leave the fan output on all the time.

If I ever get round to putting my electric pump on, I also have a "timer" mode option where I can turn the ignition off, and it'll 1) idle until the temp drops to a threshold with the pump and fan operating, or 2) turn engine off, but just circulate the coolant and run the fan until a target temp is reached, or turn off regardless after several mins.

94touring

Wouldn't mind seeing pics of your turbo setup  77.gif

ADRay

great topic, the radiator in my 82 998 is due for replacement before the 2018 season.
1982 Mini 1000 HL
@andyray998

joakwin

I have one of those eBay aluminum radiators on my lhd 998 car
And I daily drove that car for a year and had no over heating
Problems in AZ summer heat (110-115 deg) and I ran the standard
Yellow fan
D16z6 Automatic, 4 wheel disc brakes, deseamed shell

Jimini II

An alloy one at $51 with free shipping it is a lot cheaper option than a super 2 core one, maybe worth a try.

Turbodave

Quote from: 94touring on March 14, 2018, 07:48:18 PM
Wouldn't mind seeing pics of your turbo setup  77.gif

Added a post to the "restoration section"  ;D