1966 Beach Boys - Surfer Moke

Started by jedduh01, March 14, 2018, 11:09:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jedduh01

Greetings Restorers...we all like to see projects and new undertakings in everyone garages... Here is my current undertaking

Sure= its a standard OEW Moke of 1966, but for this Moke it received some special treatment in 1966..as Surfer Moke.

Little bit of History for this Moke: Barris Customs in 1966 was commissioned to build 5 identical Cars for the actual Beach Boys. An additional 20 were said to have been planned as Radio giveaway cars by Columbia records for winning a radio challenge. This car is a 'known' giveaway car. Although rumors that the 20 were never completed, only 2-3 are known to still exist in this configuration.

Some basic info: http://maximummini.blogspot.com/2014/04/the-beach-boys-and-their-mini-surfers.html

This car was recently pulled out of a garage small family collection in Florida. Has not seen the light of day since about the early 80's.
FEW parts have been replaced. Some of the history has been lost or removed. But the goal in the end is to re create 100% without repaint or restoration the car as it was. Few accessories will have to be re created like the 8 Track player has been sourced to put in + the car had removable speakers " to party on the beach with. Original red FUZZ seat covers exist. Top has to be re created with corresponding proper tassles. The car came with the original surfboard too.  Red FUr  For the Dash has to be re done but seat covers are still covered as original red fur.

As it sits now 100% of anything that holds fluid needs replacement. Brakes + fuel and Cooling. (everything and anything rubber) is very brittle Tires were flat and dry rotted, Original Plys will be installed. FUEL tank is being cleaned, treated + re sealed.

The 'stripes' were once metallic red... Sun + time have faded to a dark grey / Black... some over spray still shows under the fenders. Overall the Body is SUPER SOLID. only small surface rust. Has been treated but not thru rust here and there.  Rear bumper is missing.

In total _ its all there = even amazing some screws / nuts and bolts have never been touched ( carb screws) or engine bolts. Some items are rusted + stuck = taking patience to free for renewal. Keeping the 'patina' as they call it is totally the goal

Currently have a nice assortment of parts to install, few items having to be found (like the early mk 1 thermostat housing found here).

Might have a Moke on the road again in a few weeks!

Rosebud

A Geo. Barris Beach Boys car! You own a piece of history; in the Mini world and in the 60's pop culture world. Very cool! I got your email and will respond in detail. The last time I drove by Barris' shop it looked rather shabby and perhaps even shuttered. I'll talk with some of my C & C friends who went on the tour and see what they found. Good luck on your research. Even if you run into a dead end w/ Barris and Capitol, you still have some nice period photos... and the Moke!
Rosebud
...the sled, not the flower
https://www.facebook.com/PoserMotorSports

MiniGene

That is beyond cool.  That seems like a Moke the dude from "Chasing Classic Cars" would find.

jedduh01

Thanks Gang...!

Just to clarify  I Myself = Jedduh do not own this Moke...

It is a local guy named Jeff.   2016/2017 we also resurrected and Preserved a 66 Cooper S.  (parked beside Moke in 1 pic)

This is his next preservation.

Any additional details known about these Barris Mokes are lovely to find out or know. Jeff is doing his part and justice to find the right 're creation pieces.. I'm doing the' Running + Drivng work to get it back operational. hes doing the preservation right = I would be putting gas in it and DRIVE it!

Aluminum 4 hole hood scoup (still must find the bonnet adapter)
8 track player + building speakers  with appropriate voltage rectifier  box
tassles + fringe to install on a custom red/pink top
Sign shop recreation of the side 'barris decals"

pbraun

Seriously cool and interesting project!  What's new?
Peter
65 Moke
60 Bugeye modified
66 Jaguar XJ13 ( I can wish )

farseer80

jedduh01

Slow progress.  My life + events + things have kept me off of it for a bit!

No pictures to add yet.. will grab some.

In the mean while things are SLOWLY happening.

Carburator was removed and given a refresh . Stuck Jets , stuck floats  all refereshed with a kit.

Fuel tank + System is clean + Treated and Coated and re installed.
Fuel plumbing is  all in place with new fuel pump in place too.

Just last night =  Tore down the rear brakes completely = Flushed lines + brake proportion valve. cleaned all fittings
  Replaced wheel Cylinders ,  Shoes, Rubber lines replaced +  Lubed all hardware 

Drums are back on + and its back down.  At this point the brake system is ' all new = and ready for fluid + adjustments.

Also pre hung the new exhaust system. Few new hangers.
  Will need a holding hand to help put the front pipe up to the back pipe, but it all lines up really well.

Next will be to flush the block and tidy back up the  cooling system in to the car ..  Will probably also drain old oil ( install new ) and start cranking for oil pressure + compression.  ( should be ok, its been spun over recently before i got the car)

Jimini II

Quote from: jedduh01 on March 15, 2018, 11:37:27 AM
Thanks Gang...!

Just to clarify  I Myself = Jedduh do not own this Moke...

It is a local guy named Jeff.   2016/2017 we also resurrected and Preserved a 66 Cooper S.  (parked beside Moke in 1 pic)

This is his next preservation.

Any additional details known about these Barris Mokes are lovely to find out or know. Jeff is doing his part and justice to find the right 're creation pieces.. I'm doing the' Running + Drivng work to get it back operational. hes doing the preservation right = I would be putting gas in it and DRIVE it!

Aluminum 4 hole hood scoup (still must find the bonnet adapter)
8 track player + building speakers  with appropriate voltage rectifier  box
tassles + fringe to install on a custom red/pink top
Sign shop recreation of the side 'barris decals"

Regarding info on this Moke check with Hugh Cannon if you have not done so already he has a Beach Boys Moke and has been doing some research. I have his contact information details if you need them Justin.

jedduh01

Jim.. Apprecaiate it!  and you're right Hugh knows these Beach Boy Mokes.

Hugh helped direct Jeff on this car actually .. then when it made it to Charlotte to my place, Hugh came over to check it out in person.
       Hugh knows these beach boy cars well  but hasn't seen one this complete.  he offered some nice insight and further pictures to Jeff from his catalogue of history. Along with  he documented some things for his future build.   (notes of the roof hooks for the surfboard)  or mouting of the 8track player  or fur left over for the firewall.

Hugh even had the' signs' on the side panels drawn up and in scale to re create when he was ready. He shared to Jeff.

Jeff already has printed + painted the repro' signs ready to go for this car.

jedduh01

Little Buggy rides again.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/xGu9HSqt8hurWy8C2

Good progress!   Took time and flushed out coolant system really well before new water pump went back on (we sourced an original CAST iron pump like was originally on the car.   Flushed the Rad again  got it all ready.

Took time = New points + Condensor inside.
   Sorted the igniton wires (side exit cap, with a rubber cover thats pretty annoying...   

Added some fuel .. but struggled with a fuel pump internally grounded. ( shoddy assemly pinched a wire )   dissassembled pump = re assembled. CLICK CLICK CLICK.

fuel + Spark = she coughed to life.

Add water = No leaks=   SHE RUNS!

Bleed the clutch = !oh my  IT ACTUALLY WANTS TO DRIVE

Bleed the brakes =  2 CLOGGED hard lines later unclogged..  Brake pedal!

Rear lamps all work (brake switch is faulted)    all other lamps + flasher work now too!
   Few more minor adjustments. 
Going to refresh the Ujoints in the axles too for being sure they are done.

Mrs Beachboy moke will be moking!all over  again sooN!

pbraun

Peter
65 Moke
60 Bugeye modified
66 Jaguar XJ13 ( I can wish )