The Restoration-Mini 10 year anniversary BBQ April 12-14 2019

Started by 94touring, March 11, 2018, 05:00:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

94touring

I need to keep going north on 97.  The problem with most roads around skiatook lake is they're gravel.

MiniDave

Plus too and also, only people from Urklaherma know how to say Skiatook!   ;D
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

What I have done in the past is use Google Maps (or MapQuest) to find the "squiggly line" road candidates, then plot a possible route and preview drive it in my daily driver to see what condition the roads are in.

I usually have a main plan and a couple alternates in case the main route turns out to have gravel/dirt roads or too rough of pavement.

94touring

The truck has been all over the area searching squiggly line roads.  So far have 3 decent spots, though fairly short sections.

gasmini

Count us (2) in on the BBQ wrenching/drives. I hope to bring our 73 saloon and the 63 pup. The 73 needs at least a new floor but rather have you look at it for the rest. The pup at least a respray. Do you have room to park the Beast (F250 and a long trailer? What direction from Tulsa is your shop? I will get in touch with Midtown Minis to see where some of their drives are in or around Tulsa.

94touring

Very good! North of Tulsa 30 minutes in Ramona.  There should be room for a truck and trailer. 

94touring

Back on the topic of mini meets...wanted to toss this idea out there.  I'd need to call and get some more information from Hallet, but would there be any interest in renting the track? We'd have to split the cost amongst those who sign up.  Here is the link with prices and info.  Looking to gather interest and ideas from you guys.

http://www.hallettracing.net/rent-the-track/

MiniDave

I'd like to do a track day, but I doubt my car will be ready by then.....OTOH I can always run the Clubman.

So it looks like about $350 each base for 5 cars, then addl expense for track workers, ambulance and such?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

So I'm not sure if we can "compete" on the test day rental.  It may be the $3850 price tag, but unlimited cars.  7-10 cars would make it tolerable.  I'd need to see if all the options are included in that price or if they are extra.  Not that we need crew members and flag people.   I'd be tempted to bring a couple cars if that were the case. 

MiniDave

Anything the rest of us can do to help pull this event off?

Maybe start a list of who's coming, get a bulk rate set up at a hotel? (Bartlesville?) The Holiday Inn Express I stayed at was nice and had plenty of room in the parking lot for trailers and such.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Ok so I will need a list of folks and I'd like a bunch of details and info on your cars.  I'll likely get a group rate at the aloft downtown but can look into Bartlesville too. Kinda depends where people want to stay and how many attend.  The shop is available too.

MPlayle

Being that it is still 8 months out, it is a bit too early for me to absolutely commit to going.  I do not know what my "work" situation is evolving into for even totally committing to the October Dyno-day.  (I am attempting to get more contracting work "locally" as well as being under consideration for a full-time job in Orlando, Florida.)

I really want to go to both the October Dyno-day and the 10-year Anniversary.

I also do not know what my "car" situation will be in April 2019.  Currently it is the Moke and a 2016 MINI Clubman.

MiniDave

I'll be there, I will probably be driving my 2009 Clubman towing the Racing Green Mini.....

I'll also commit for Don, he'll be driving his Vtec Pup.

If you could, please edit the title of the thread with the dates?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Lone Star Mini

would love to meet you guys..  I will put it on the calendar and hope for the best.
Lone Star Mini
1982 Morris Mini 1000HL (heck of a lot of work ahead of me)
1992(?) Mini Cooper
1964 Austin Cooper
1980 Mini 95 (Pickup)

94touring

Since I've been so into tuning lately and have enjoyed seeing what my cruise air fuel ratios are, if I were to fab up a tail pipe wideband that is quickly interchangeable on cars, any of you want to see what your normal driving ratios are? Top end too for that matter.

gr8kornholio

I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

MiniDave

Could it be as simple as something you stick in the tailpipe?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Willie_B

This would be good to know info. You have shown where small changes in the jet really do make a driving difference.

94touring

Quote from: MiniDave on October 13, 2018, 04:41:45 PM
Could it be as simple as something you stick in the tailpipe?

I'm thinking a pipe that slides over the end of the tailpipe with bung to put the sensor in.  I even have a spare pipe I bought in case I needed to modify my exhaust the other day. One end is to fit over a rc40 diameter exhaust.  I suppose I could make adapters for various sized exhaust, or if everyone gave me their dimensions I can have them ready.  Then it's just a matter of clamping wires to the battery and running the gauge harnes to the front for me to look at while the other person drives.  Then we make adjustments!

94touring

Quote from: Willie_B on October 13, 2018, 05:40:21 PM
This would be good to know info. You have shown where small changes in the jet really do make a driving difference.

Gotta get the most out of our engines!

BruceK

I was talking about this with Mark earlier today.  I was thinking I'd like to copy what Dan is doing to get the mixture right. But I don't have a way to weld a bung into the exhaust. Then I discovered they sell a no-weld oxygen sensor bung that I was considering as a possible future project.

https://www.jegs.com/p/AEM/AEM-No-Weld-O2-Sensor-Mount/1334708/10002/-1

I like Dan's idea of an easily interchangeable sensor.  But I'm not sure how much trial and error time would be needed to get things right.  Many attempts I would think.  And maybe new needles too.   Seems like it would be tough to get things right over a weekend - if that's what is being proposed.  Or maybe just an exploratory look at how the carb is set up is what you are thinking?
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

94touring

Well assuming everyone is in the ballpark, it doesn't take much time to make adjustments honestly.  I was doing runs behind the shop, taking TWIN carbs apart, testing oil viscosity, adjusting jet heights with calipers, syncing, and filing two needles at a time across the whole band.  And it took me a few hours doing it for my first time having no experience.  If we go out, take notes where it's rich/lean, do a full wide open pull, come back, someone pulls those needles or adjust mixture one way or another while the next car goes out, it could be done very efficiently.  Odds are most everyone only needs a small tweak here and there.  Or you go ok cool I probably need a new needle.

94touring

Or if people want bungs welded in permanently, bring your finest bung and I will weld thee.  Bring an 02 sensor kit or plug for said bung.

tmsmini

I can loan an exhaust pipe clamp that Innovate makes and I have an extension cable to go with.
I was pretty disappointed with the LM2 but still have all the pieces.

Remind me closer to the event and I will ship it wherever it needs to go.
Bit of a long drive for me.

EDIT:
I will post some comments on the Innovate LM2 in another post to keep this focused on the event.

94touring

What didn't you like about the LM2? I have an innovant in my rx7 I tune with.  Though the harness is a bit bulky compared to my mini wideband.