The Restoration-Mini 10 year anniversary BBQ April 12-14 2019

Started by 94touring, March 11, 2018, 05:00:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

94touring

Decided to start the planning a year in advance, a year and a month technically!  I looked at the calender and chose the 12-14th of April 2019. That falls on a Friday to Sunday.  The weather tends to be a bit better in April as well.  The goal as of now is to start getting a head count so I can pre plan a few things I have in mind.  I'm in search of nearby roads for some spirited drives. Bruce has mentioned a few very close to my shop that I already planned to scope out. We'd be for sure grilling and eating at the shop.  There is an option for staying either North in Bartlesville (15-20 minutes from the shop) or staying downtown Tulsa which is 30 minutes from the shop. Anyone staying downtown would likely hit up a local eatery of our choosing and any number of bars within walking distance afterwards.  Anyone staying in Bartlesville is welcome to join the downtown group and then have huge bonfires at the shop till the wee hours.  Anyone is welcome to camp at the shop or call dibs on the shop Murphy bed. Cots in the shop are fine too. In between driving and eating, there could be some wrenching to be had. Oil changes, car buffing, wheel bearings, window rubber, or anything you feel you'd want to do or can talk me into doing.  Maybe we have some horseshoes or something in the yard to do as well.  I'd also like to get information regarding the cars you're bringing, such as condition, upgrades, drums or disc, ballast vs non ballest, things you'd like to do someday, ect...  This is obviously way in advance so no rush at the moment, but keep it in mind.

MiniDave

UPDATED

Tentative head count:

Committed
Dan Stoughton - booked
Dave Craven - booked
Don Ipock - booked
John Styers - booked
Susan McKensie - booked
WillieB - booked
Mark (Gr8cornholio)
Mplayle - booked
Bruce Kennedy - booked
Seth Weaver - booked
Dooder

Maybes:
Jedduh
Randy (Lone Star Mini)
Patton
Amanley

Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Quote from: MiniDave on March 11, 2018, 05:34:29 PM
I'm in, no idea what I'll be driving.....TBD!  :--)

I think that just means you'll be the guy at the shop doing all the oil changes if you're mini-less.

MiniDave

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

Depending on where life has taken me near that time, I'm in.

Currently, I have been taking the year to adjust to the family losses.  I'm starting to think about getting back to full time work.

Current plan is to still have the Moke. 

stan360

this sounds fun Dan .  I will have my mini since it runs now , hopefully I will have the seats in by then for the 200 mile trek. I have a year , hahaha.  I think I may just drink some beer and watch everyone work on minis though.

94touring

gr8kornholio

Our calender is now marked for this.  Will definitely bring the mini, if I have it together by then.  If I do, the good thing is it shouldn't need any more work. 
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

MiniDave

Ha! You do realize it's a Mini, right? They always need something!  :D

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

gr8kornholio

Lol. Just like "rust free" mini. Amazing what undercoating hides.
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

Willie_B

I'm in. For the driving and wrenching, or is wrenching and driving?

MiniDave

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

jedduh01

Never Thought i would say this ... But ... I want to go to Tulsa Oklahoma in 2019.

It will be on the radar. but 2 kiddo's + Life..

Wish I was retired....  Only 16 Hours from Charlotte!

MiniDave

Bring the kids? Everybody needs to do a cross country trip when they're young, builds character!   ;D

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

jedduh01

It will be on the radar.. Practically speaking however with  by then a 4 yr and a 1 yr old ....

I shudder at the thought of more than 3 hrs in the car at a time!

Ill just plan on the 2020 - 2022  Gathering!

Least i get to meet you guys in 5 Weeks in April over here on My side - Kingsport, TN!

94touring

Bruce do you remember what roads you had a blast on over here in my neck of the way?  I drove around for a couple hours the other day but only found one good section.  A lot of curvey gravel roads if anyone wants to rally though!

Tim

This sounds like a great idea, but as jedduh01 said, the kids throw a wrench into the idea...  Currently 4 kids and only one running mini.  maybe if I can get the Moke running by then...  but lets face it 2000kms with four kids in two Mini's is my idea of fun, but maybe not my wife's. ::)

94touring

When I did the rotary bbqs I had a trophy for furthest traveled to the event. Maybe I sweeten the pot with something enticing?

MiniDave

I doubt there's any enticement that would overcome 2 or 4 small kids in a Mini for 2000 kilometers, but many of us flat tow our cars long distances - so 4 kids in a Minivan towing a Mini might be do-able!   4.gif

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Or flat tow with the family in the mini while having the towing vehicle to yourself!  ;D

Tim

My wife is laughing thinking about the kids in the Mini while we stay in the van.  We usually do the flat tow with our minivan.  Just not as fun.  We'll be flat towing to MME this July.  Maybe I convince my dad for a Cannonball type run next April.... :D

BruceK

Quote from: 94touring on March 16, 2018, 10:02:11 AM
Bruce do you remember what roads you had a blast on over here in my neck of the way?  I drove around for a couple hours the other day but only found one good section.  A lot of curvey gravel roads if anyone wants to rally though!

To be clear, I think I liked the roads because of what they were not.  The were not dead straight roads next to flat farm land with 90 degree bends around property lines.  So I was pleasantly surprised they were somewhat interesting.

I think I went, from your shop, west on 2300, north on 2007, west on 2075, continuing west on 11

You may have found the only good section.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

94touring

Found a fantastic section just down from my place downtown.  Only a few miles worth but well worth a couple laps on.

MPlayle

Google Maps seems to show some others a bit further north by northwest from there as well - between the Arkansas River and Skiatook Lake.