The Restoration-Mini 10 year anniversary BBQ April 12-14 2019

Started by 94touring, March 11, 2018, 05:00:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gr8kornholio

Well I'm officially booked.  Won't be up till Friday a little afternoon in what will be the biggest car there.  Lol.  Looking forward to meeting everyone I haven't and seeing all the minis! 
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

MiniDave

I doubt that, Seth is towing his behind his new F150!

A chance to visit with your Saucy Aussie..... ;D
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

I spoke with Michael last night.  I will join up with him on Thursday for the drive up to Tulsa/Ramona/Bartlesville.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MiniDave

Don and I will be down Thurs afternoon too....the rest of the northern group are coming on Friday.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Willie_B

Willie_B

gr8kornholio

"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

BruceK

I just checked in with Michael and he's on the road up to DFW.  I'll join up with him in a couple of hours for the rest of the journey.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

gr8kornholio

Which route are you taking up?  69 to turnpike then straight through Tulsa?

BruceK

Quote from: gr8kornholio on April 11, 2019, 11:28:54 AM
Which route are you taking up?  69 to turnpike then straight through Tulsa?

The Indian National Turnpike is one of the bumpiest, crappiest stretch of road I have ever encountered.   I have taken it several times before and deeply regreted that I had paid the toll for the privelege of being beat up each time.  And it's much worse when you are towing something.  Plus, for most of the length of it there a nothing but small berm between the opposing lanes of traffic - dangerous as hell and I've seen some accidents where a car had been launched over the berm. So we will not be taking that, even though it is technically shorter.  Instead we will go through Muskokee, then Broken Arrow, and then head into Tulsa.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

gr8kornholio

Agreed the right lane especially is bumpy and yes I thought that berm was about the dumbest road idea I've ever seen.  Since the left lane is the smoothest but closest to oncoming death.  Good thing is the times I've been on it I've seen maybe 20 cars.

I'm thinking of taking 48 just north of Durant.  We take a stretch of this when we go to KS.  2 lanes only, not a lot of shoulder either.  Fairly smooth and light traffic. 

If you guys are towing then the main road is probably best bet.  See y'all there tomorrow.

Willie_B

MiniDave

I'm in 416....

We got in about 5:30, checked into the hotel and headed down to Dan's shop, about 20 min or so south of us. Dan and Jen hosted us with some brats and fried bologna and other fine Oklahoma treats and we just hung out and told war stories till Bruce and Michael came rolling in about 8:30. Now we're all back at the hotel and planning for breakfast tomorrow and then a good Mini run after.

More as it happens!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

jedduh01

Have a good time guys! 
   Seeing the Mini Lair in person is great. and a few pics help piece together that awesome layout = Shop + Home...
Not that it would work for a family but a ' getaway workshop... envious!

tmsmini

BruceK

We had a great time today.    The barbecue food was great and we went for a morning run out in the country. And then an afternoon run to when more people arrived. 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

BruceK

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

Jimini II

Looks like fun times, nothing better than getting out and driving a Mini.

MiniDave

After working in the shop all day on a rainy windy Sat, we all met up for dinner....and a great time was had by all!

Tomorrow we'll all be heading out our various directions home, I'll drop by the shop to pick up whatever loose bits we left there, then load up and head north to KC

We got a lot done today despite the weather, Susan's heater got hooked up but we'll have to order some bits to make her horn work properly.

We got Aamanley's car to run significantly better - partly by getting his throttle cable adjusted so that it opened all the way! He also put in an aluminum radiator and did some tuning.

Seth went away unfulfilled - he had hoped to install a short shift kit but it turned into a bigger job than anticipated, so he'll do it at home.

We got the subframes installed back in the Innocenti, as soon as Dan can get a moment in his incredibly busy schdule he'll finish up the doors and boot/bonnet lids and it will head back to my shop, I hope by then I have the engine going back together or even running.

We had a great time here at the shop, lots of people drove their Minis and we all had a great time meeting and hanging out with Dan! (and Jen!)

Let's not wait another 10 years for the next great RM BBQ!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Michael and I left Dan's shop late this morning and headed south to Texas.  Only 20 minutes into our journey on Hwy 75 a speeding car driving erratically lost control right in front of Michael, nearly taking him out in the process as it spun and then ended up on the side of the road where it hit a highway sign.  All this on a sunny clear day.   Fortunately there was no car to car contact.  But it was definitely a pucker moment - evasive maneuvers are very limited when towing.   I was following behind and saw it all happen up ahead, and I had my new dashcam running too.   I'll have to figure out how to get the video on here...
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

gr8kornholio

O what fun. Glad all is good. 

I stayed solo at the shop and got my engine cleaned and painted.  Then forgot to grab my goodies off the cart.  Left around 230 and with a stop for food and a delay at a one lane bridge light it was smooth sailing. 

Had a wonderful time and was great to meet everyone and wrench on some cars.

MiniDave

Don and I headed north about the same time....we had a nice easy drive under sunny skies. Our only "moment" was when a giant Dodge Ram passed us both across a double yellow line, even tho there was nothing coming it was still nerve wracking.

We had a great time too, next week I'll be back at it again.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad