Running again

Started by Willie_B, April 02, 2018, 06:21:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Willie_B

A few weeks back my mini started to stumble some when accelerating hard while out running errands. Ran just fine otherwise. When I went to leave it would not start at all. Just Damn. Had gas to the carb, no loose wires to the dist. Tow it back home.  (Feels like I've done this before, thanks again Dave.)  Thought it might be the carb so took it off and apart, looked fine so back on. Nope. Checked fuel flow while it was off and it was more than enough, filter is good too. I know the carb was used when I got it 6 years back so order a rebuilt hif44. Nope. Sure looks great but still won't start. I had checked the spark earlier and it seemed good, as in I had spark. So out with the dist and try one of the others I have. Nope. Let me check the spark again. Got a spark but just does not seem very bright. Well I have a spare coil also so lets try that. YES. It lives. The coil is not even a year old. Now I just have to adjust the new carb and set the timing. Need to put the rest back together and drive it to make sure it's ready for the CMU59.

Bout time too.

MiniDave

A new coil is one of the things I always carry as a spare on a trip.

See you in Tenn in a few weeks (now that my car isn't pissing coolant any more!)
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

LarryLebel

I've been stopped 4 times over the years by mechanicals that I can recall, in no particular order.
1) Making a left turn at a traffic light where I pushed to a filling station at the corner. The problem was the coil which worked but the spark was yellow..
2) Along the freeway after a few suspicious misses. A road maintenance truck happened by and called for a tow truck. The problem was I put a 25D rotor in a 45D distributer running a Pertronics Ignitor. It ran OK for about a year like but I guess the contacts got too corroded to jump the gap.
3) On the street in town for enough from home that I needed a tow. I had just done a tuneup and didn't clamp the distributer tight enough.
4) 0n the freeway again pretty close to the 2). I had to scale a high fence to get to a telephone. I ripped my pants. There was a chard in the inlet to the carb which took quite awhile to find. I installed a fuel filter, thereafter.