Speaking of windows (any interest in buying some)

Started by 94touring, February 16, 2018, 10:30:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

94touring

My search for polycarbonate/makrolon/lexan windows for my door conversion has evolved into me contacting a local plastics company whom I'll likely be buying some large sheets from.  That being said, if I end up making several sets of side windows, both rear quarter, roll ups or slider fronts, would anyone want to purchase them? My material options are a general grade material in 3mm with a light grey tint, or a very high quality abrasive resistant and high uv protected material in clear that's twice the cost in 3mm as well. The general grade last a solid 10 years in the sun, the abrasive resistant pretty much forever.  Benefits being weight reduction and 250x stronger than glass.  Impress your friends by shooting at your windows.

jedduh01

Super cool !
    = Back in the day I made some 'low quality' mk 1 sliders. In the summer I would pop the bottom track out and have these lightweight easy in easy out poly's jsut for parking at Highschool or stores.. (rain prevention)  and quick full open windows.

They were great to use. but Quickly scratched up and looked ugly (in about 1-1.5 years I deemed them un useable)
( i even sewed their own 'bag" for them to live in + ride in the boot _ fastened to the back wall.

Plexi that stays on a car  mounted well will last better than as set banging around loosely but the scratches will happen.
I would just highly recommended the 'tougher' option for any longevity.

my .02c

94touring

Were those just plexi glass or a grade of polycarbonate?

94touring

More information to pass along.  The anti abrasive poly does well to withstand scratches but will still scratch. The normal poly scratches easily.  However, you can buff out the regular poly but the anti abrasive will not buff out, at least not easily.  Found a YouTube vid showing both pieces side by side, scratched with sandpaper, then buffed.  I think if you are careful and occasionally buffed the regular, you could keep them looking pretty nice. Next will be real world results to see what I find.

AcesLow

I would be interested.  My original side glass has a bit of a hue to it now.  Would year of doors would they be available for?  I would like a set to replace the sliding glass but operate like the sliding glass.

94touring

Well considering I have mini glass all over my shop, I can trace and cut any piece you'd like.  I may grab a sheet this week or next depending on my schedule to experiment with.

joakwin

the plexi windows and grp doors saves a ton of weight,

the side pop out windows and the back window is heavy, i hear changing out the front sides and the two back sides and back window saves around a 100 pounds,

ive never weighed the glass myself but i have weighed some arc heavy grp doors vs stock doors and it was shocking

D16z6 Automatic, 4 wheel disc brakes, deseamed shell

AcesLow

MR10 Lexan is the higher quality stuff you would be using?

94touring

I'm going with the tinted version, which is a slight downgrade in regards to scratching but does buff out.  Have yet to buy a sheet.