Pulling the motor - help?

Started by Dmulder, January 27, 2018, 07:23:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dmulder

So, I've grown tired of the oil slick that happens where I park my mini. Vet decided to pull my motor and put all new seals in it. Is there anything special I should know or any recommendations that you would have?  Anything I should have done while it is out and apart?  Any prefers seal kits?
It is the 998.
"In like a lamb, Out like a lion."

BruceK

This is all in the "while you have it out" line of thinking: 

new motor mounts, new hoses, new water pump (cheap insurance), new mechanical fuel pump if so fitted (ditto on the insurance), perhaps new throwout bearing too.  Plus you can clean the engine completely and apply a fresh coat of paint.   Also, you can clean up the entire engine compartment and paint it too.   Inspect the radiator and replace if it is doubtful (good quality, cheap aluminum ones from China are almost free, like under $60). 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MiniDave

Where exactly is the oil coming from?

Most common areas are the valve cover and axle/shift seals, none of which require pulling the motor to fix. You are heading down a rabbit hole you won't believe if you pull the motor!  ;D

Also plan to clean and repack the inner pot joints, inspect the boots carefully and replace if needed.
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

LarryLebel

Add some breathers. There's a saying about Mini motors, "If you think you have enough breathers add one more".

MiniDave

A lot depends on how deep you're going to go to "replace seals'....for example, the front crank seal is a good one to do, but it's best if you pull the cover to do it...so also new timing cover gasket. New timing chain while you're at it?

The rear main seal is a little more involved, you have to pull the clutch and flywheel, which takes a special puller - then since you're that far in, do you go ahead and split the engine off the transmission so you can replace the half-moon seal under the timing cover too? While you have the clutch off, a new one makes sense of course......

So now you have the engine/trans split,, maybe pull a rod cap and check for wear? Once you're this far in what's a simple engine overhaul - new rings, bearings, valve job etc.....

Definitely do the side seals under the pot joints and for absolute sure put one of the shift seal kits in....

I completely agree with all of Bruce's suggestions.
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Dmulder

Dave, my plan was to do all the seals and then an overhaul at the same time if it seems toe needed.
"In like a lamb, Out like a lion."

Jims5543

I have a whole list of things that you should NOT do.

For one, make sure all the shifting linkage is hooked up before you put the exhaust back in place.

Two, do any brake line work with the engine out, things will go much smoother for you that way.

As I can remember other things I will post them.

Pulling it out can go really fast, so take your time, mark all your nuts and bolts, lots of baggies with a sharpie nearby, or better yet painters tape on the bag to write on. Grease makes the ink run on the plastic bag. Ask me how I know.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson