Knock in my Automatic 1275cc SPI

Started by Bryan, January 26, 2018, 04:12:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryan

Hello to All, I have an Automatic 1275cc SPI mini in Trinidad and Tobago and I recently started to hear a knock when I engage forward and reverse. Once the car is in parked mode or I am driving and I accelerate above 1500 rpm, there is no knock. Not sure what this could be. When I put on the A/C as well on park mode, the knock begins again.

Can anyone she some light on this as to what could be the problem. Unfortunately, I have no one in Trinidad that could help me solve this problem or even tell me where this knock is coming from.

Thanks

MiniDave

Bryan, it sounds like either engine steady bushings gone or a broken motor mount.
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Hi.  And welcome! 

Here's my theory: I wonder if it could be one of your engine steadies or motor mounts - perhaps the rubber bushings have gone and the engine is rocking back and forth enough to cause the knock.  If  that is true it could account for some engine movement when you select drive or reverse as it will apply torque to the engine in its mounts and cause it to move.   And when you're traveling above 1500 RPM the engine is already rotated back and applying additional throttle is not going to change its position on its mounts any further.  Lastly, when the a/c kicks on it puts an immediate shock load to the engine  which could likewise cause it to move.

That's my thoughts - but I bet we get some different ideas from other people.

Edit: looks like Dave and I are thinking the same thing and he replied well I was typing this out
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MPlayle

Is it a single knock or a continuous knock?

If a single knock, I would agree with Bruce's and Dave's theories.

If a continuous knock or multiple/series of knocks, I would begin to suspect possible rod knock as it seems to be only under load.

Bryan

Hi Guys, Thank you for the feedback thus far. I have my mini since 2008 but I have no clue how to fix it except for the basic tune up. All your support and suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Could it the the oil pump or inside the transmission?

Bryan

Hi Guys, It is a continuous knock. I recorded it but I am not sure if there is a way that I can attached that recording to this forum?

Bryan

Listen to the attached file. Not sure if you could identify the knock from the recording as it sounds more like a rackle

MiniDave

Do these automatics use a flexplate? If so, that sounds exactly like what it is to me.......a cracked or broken flexplate.

Message Richard1 on this forum, he's had his automatic apart several times......He's in Bolivia so there might be a bit of time difference to work with.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Bryan

Good Night Everyone, it appears that the knock I was hearing is due to the fact that I have a broken piece of metal in the torque converter. Is there a place that I can buy this automatic torque converter, one that is relatively new?

MiniDave

The only place I know of to get auto transmission parts for the Mini.....

http://jpat.co.uk/index.html

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Bryan

Thanks Dave. I will check them out. Have a good night