Project Sh!tBox

Started by Funpig, January 18, 2018, 06:19:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiniDave

For those who have Facetube, look what I found!

https://www.facebook.com/266785820018607/videos/2565858817033706/
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Funpig

Well I guess the cats outta the bag. Just got it registered and insured yesterday and now it is time for some shakedown runs.  There are lots of vibrations/buzzing to resolve and an occasional clunk but I should have that stuff situated over the week.  I'm just looking forward to finally driving it and refining it.  Have some interior bits to put in like front and rear cards, seatbelts that work and possibly even something that makes music sounds.  Gonna be taking a road trip back home to upstate NY in late July and want this thing buttoned up before the trip. If it does well there and back then next summer I'm rolling it out to Cali and back. I can't tell you how excited I am to have this on the road. I love my van but this is what I have dreamt of since I was a kid. 4.gif 4.gif

MiniDave

I thought John's engine steady looked a better design than MiniTecs, I completely re-engineered Don's MiniTec engine steadies and completely got rid of all vibrations. If you're running poly engine mounts, that's most of it. Getting rid of the poly mounts killed 50% of Don's vibes, the rest was due to poor design of the engine steady.

Congrats on getting it running!   77.gif

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Willie_B

Looks great. If you need a hand give me a call.

Funpig

I didn't get Johns steady in the kit. Funny I just spoke w him about the issues of vibrations yesterday. I designed my own out of necessity and it is solid mount to the tranny with bushes at the mount, so I think that may need to be reconsidered.  I also have vibration coming from the floor mounts of the subframe.  Was thinking about putting some rubber in between like the older mk1 mounts.  It'll all get worked out.  I can't imagine that it I'll ever feel like a Cadillac buts that's fine by me.

LarryLebel

What's the distance of the trip? With those A032R tires you'll need new ones in 1500 miles or so.

MiniDave

Don's last 5000 or so on his Vtec Pup, and he drives it plenty hard.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Funpig

I have another set of minilites with tires for the long trip.  These are just for balling around town here.  4.gif 4.gif