Just ordered a Moke shell

Started by Willie_B, January 17, 2018, 12:09:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiniDave

Nope, we're all set - they're on their way now - thanks!
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Willie_B

My mokes build date was 18 January 1966. So today it is 55, well at least some parts of it are. I was hoping to be able to have the engine running today but alas that's not gonna happen. The hif 38 carb and manifold will not clear the bulkhead.

94touring

What's the issue with the bulkhead?  How much are we talking?

MiniDave

Are you using a spacer under the carb?

Worst case I have a spare OEM cast iron intake/exhaust manifold.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Willie_B

I had planned to use a later factory manifold. Have to run a spacer to be able to clear the throttle cable arm. I will look at what other manifolds I have but I think the factory one is the slimest of the bunch. The hif is a larger carb too so that does not help either.

94touring

Can you tilt the engine forward with a longer engine steady?

MiniDave

I remember my HIF44 hitting the bulkhead on my Clubby, someone had banged the lip of the bulkhead down for clearance but it still touched sometimes. I swapped out the 1/2" thick spacer for a 1/4" and that gave just enough room that it didn't hit anymore. I think Bruce had to do the same on his car?

Come to think of it, I think Clancy went to an HS4 because his wouldn't clear with a modern manifold either.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Yes, I went with a very thin carb spacer combined with an adjustable engine steady.  Plenty of clearance now on my car.  Oh, with the thinner carb spacer I also relieved the throttle cable arm so it did not contact the intake.  I will go out to the garage and take a photo...
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

BruceK

I just took these photos. With a thinner carb spacer it was necessary to use a Dremel to relieve the throttle cable arm because it was striking the intake manifold. 

It is not pretty but it works.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

BruceK

I forget the exact thickness of spacer I used but it's pretty darn thin.

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

BruceK

And here is the space between the bottom of the carb and the bulkhead.  It's like an inch or so.  That threaded stud in the photo looks like it's close to the bottom of the carb but it's not.

(I see that I really should've trimmed the end of that cable!)
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

94touring

I used 6mm on the spacer if I remember correctly.  A little dremel work like Bruce illustrated may be required.

Willie_B

I have a short spacer, I can look to see if I can make it shorter. Already removed some metal on the throttle cable mount. I will order the adjustable top steady. All this combined may just do it. Not sure if it will make enough difference to still use the stock filter housing though. That was more for show anyway so a low profile one would be ok. Not like I would worry about any extra noise it makes.

Jimini II

The best manifold for clearance I was told was a Metro one maybe event the MG Metro one which by now are thin on the ground.
I had a friends Clubman Estate and used a thinner spacer along with shaving the quadrant I also tightened the bend so it moved the arc of the quadrant away from the manifold, I guess you could use or adapt a regular HS4 throttle bracket to it but the HIF one has a nice smooth response.
I also used an adjustable steady but where I needed it to be created too sharp of an angle going up towards the floor where the manifold bolts to the pipe.
The easiest way but probably not the right way in your case is to re drill the sub frame for the engine mounts and move them forward one inch and buy the early 90's longer or adjustable steady bar which is what they did when the RSP Cooper was introduced with the HIF44.

Jimini II

Quote from: Willie_B on January 17, 2021, 04:58:34 PM
Wiring and gauges in progress. I am using mechanical gauges for water temp and oil pressure. I thought I could use one of the existing grommets for the lines to the gauges but alas no extra room in them. I decided to use the master block off plate to add the hole so as not to add a new hole in the body.

Wiring was going good till I ran out of single bullet connectors, got plenty of doubles. Did not think to check on that before now.

That is nice and tidy I like it.

Willie_B

With a thinner spacer and an adjustable upper steady the carb is in. No way the stock 850 filter housing will fit. Would need another 3/4" for it to fit. More parts shopping for an air filter that looks ok on there.

94touring

Most of the aftermarket filters are offset.  Going for a stock upgraded look any of those pancake styles should work.  I prefer the taller k&n's that breath better.  Should consider a small stub from med since your losing some flow having to get rid of the mouth currently on the carb.

Jimini II

Quote from: Willie_B on January 23, 2021, 03:21:11 PM
With a thinner spacer and an adjustable upper steady the carb is in. No way the stock 850 filter housing will fit. Would need another 3/4" for it to fit. More parts shopping for an air filter that looks ok on there.

That 1 1/4" elbow would slow the flow down anyway.

I used a cone pan cake filter and it cleared fine plus was deep enough to get the flow it needs unlike the early flat 1" deep ones that are restrictive.

Depending on the amount you moved it forward with the adjustable engine steady you may need to re address the pipe angle from the header where it exits under the floor as they usually end up not parallel to the floor and facing slightly upwards.

MiniDave

Sure is a purdy header! Is that stainless or ceramic coated?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Willie_B

Willie_B

All the electrical checked out ok. Ran a long hose from under the hood back to the fuel tank and let the electric pump run for 5 minutes to check for leaks. Hook the battery up and ready to spin it over for oil pressure, AND the new starter is bad. Pull it out and the solenoid part is dead. Near as I can tell after taking it apart is the solenoid wiring is bad as there is no connection between the trigger terminal and ground. Should be a few ohms for the sole winding but nadda. Guess I can use the starter from the mini while I get another new starter ordered. It came through Steve Gibbs at Coopertune. I already talked with him and he will order me another.

MiniDave

Are they both pre-engaged or both inertial?

Getting exciting now!

Did you prefill the oil filter? Don't be disappointed if you can't get it to spin up oil pressure on the starter - I've had some that had been down for a LONG time that wouldn't bring up pressure till I started the engine. Clancy's engine that has sat for 10 years was this way and I tried every trick in the book to get it to come up on the starter. Finally, I started it and it came up instantly.

This SPi engine was the same way - I think Dan said it's been down 10 years or so? The second it fired I had pressure on the gauge.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Willie_B

Both starters are the same so using the mini one is easy. Other than not being able to remove the grille on the moke the dist. has to come out first to make room.

This engine has been sitting for a little less than 2 years. May have to start it to get pressure. Will not run it but a short bit as no exhaust system past the header and it is still sitting on my carpet covered cart about 5 inches from the header end.

MiniDave

Yeah, just enough to hear it make the NOISE!  77.gif 77.gif 77.gif 77.gif

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Willie_B

First time shooting a video on my phone today. So might be able to capture the moment.  So would I need to put the video on youtube and then link to there or what?