Just ordered a Moke shell

Started by Willie_B, January 17, 2018, 12:09:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Willie_B

The body is blasted clean top, bottom and inside pontoons. Said it took two hours total. Now it is at the body shop getting a shot of primer.

Guy at the powder coating place that did the blasting had a good idea. He said the painter does like spraying small/light parts as they tend to fly around and be difficult. So he said pick a powder coat color that I think I want the body to be and then let the body shop match the paint to that for the larger stuff and have the small/light stuff powder coated. That's a great idea and probably cheaper too. So I just sent off for three sample colors to see what I think of them. Still leaning toward a very light blue.

Jimini II

Nice....

"Leaning towards a very light blue" with a big wide orange stripe down the middle like Gulf colors.

pbraun

I think I saw a Moke painted like that - maybe on the uk mokeclub.org site somewhere or in the mag - great club!
Oh - and that car was looking very good!

Peter
65 Moke
60 Bugeye modified
66 Jaguar XJ13 ( I can wish )

Willie_B

Quote from: pbraun on March 16, 2020, 10:02:58 AM
I think I saw a Moke painted like that - maybe on the uk mokeclub.org site somewhere or in the mag - great club!

Probably close to that light blue. But no center stripes.

BruceK

Quote from: Willie_B on March 16, 2020, 10:37:22 AM

No center stripes?  Well you're not going to win Le Mans then.    ;D

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

Jimini II

Quote from: Willie_B on March 16, 2020, 10:37:22 AM

I believe speedwell blue was close to that color maybe a little greyer though.

BruceK

There's a modern Fiat 500 color like that you may like.  Always helpful to use a production color for touchup paint availability and matching down the road.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

BruceK

And there is an even lighter blue.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

Willie_B

Looking through the spares collection for washers for the rear hubs. Goes between the bearing and nut. Found 3 different OD sizes. Does it really matter?

MiniDave

No, only the ID matters, and the thickness
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Willie_B

Quote from: MiniDave on March 20, 2020, 12:50:51 PM
No, only the ID matters, and the thickness

That's what i was thinking.  Thanks

Willie_B

Got small bits back from the powder coaters today. I am really liking it.

pbraun

So, I ask for my friend Jose who is in Miami - he may sign up here - but in the mean while I will ask this question for WillieB and MPlaye or whoever else has brought in a Moke shell:

How much is the import duty or whatever charges the US Customs make?

Please reply here As Soon As Possible as he is trying to decide between a new shell from Moke Panels or bits and welding.....

Thanks in advance !!!!!
Peter
65 Moke
60 Bugeye modified

Willie_B

I don't recall the breakdown of costs but I was into the new shell $10,500 delivered. Found it was cheaper to air freight to the Atlanta airport than ship to the port in Savannah. That included the customs broker and al US fees.

MPlayle

My costs came out similar to Brad's (Willie_B).  Mine came by ship into Galveston then truck to San Antonio.  I may have had a bit more in transport costs with the extra truck freight.  The shipping coordination and fees for by boat turned out a bigger hassle than air-freight would have been.

I would recommend following Brad's option of using air-freight if possible.

I went the new shell route as mine needed many new panels (complete floors and both complete pontoons, plus toe panel/firewall and heel panel, and front panel).  I did not have any welding skills/equipment and no place local to have the work done affordably.  I did have garage space to disassemble the old and reassemble into the new.  So that was the path I took.

pbraun

Thanks, guys!  This helps Jose who is thinking about a door to door delivery in the Miami area. We haven't discussed air freight v. ship followed by truck. His cost for a shell is now about $9700 plus the shipping, so he is evaluating that.
Peter
65 Moke
60 Bugeye modified

Willie_B

Quote from: pbraun on June 19, 2020, 05:47:40 AM
Thanks, guys!  This helps Jose who is thinking about a door to door delivery in the Miami area. We haven't discussed air freight v. ship followed by truck. His cost for a shell is now about $9700 plus the shipping, so he is evaluating that.

Jose left me a PM but the phone number he left does not work. Can you PM me his contact info?

Thanks

Willie_B

Ok, got it figured out. He was off on the number he left me. Got the correct one now.

pbraun

he also wants to know what customs charges like duty, etc.. tax?  or what ever else are likely to be a cost when importing. bc - you could help answer that
Peter
65 Moke
60 Bugeye modified

Willie_B

Michael and I both have talked to Jose today. Really nice and interesting fellow. The moke he got is the latest British car he has. It will be in good hands.

pbraun

Yes - I know Jose through big Healeys of which we both have 63 BJ7s.  He has rebuilt a lot of cars but was a little unsure of the Moke, but now is glad to have it as a project.  He came to me initially on this project for some ID and sources. Well on his way now he is.
Peter
65 Moke
60 Bugeye modified

Willie_B

Weather too variable to do body sanding outside. So basement worktime instead. 

I am using an HIF38 carb on the new engine. In an effort to keep things looking stock though I plan to use an original 850 air filter housing. I will make a spacer to raise the filter housing up 1/2" so it will clear the dash pot top. This makes the screw shaft for the wingnut too short. My plan was to ad to the bottom of the wingnut. Took a coupling and turned it down on the lathe. Then had it welded onto the wingnut. That did not work as it also welded onto the bolt that was holding the 2 parts together. Next plan was to try to braze it on. It has been decades since I last did brazing so that did not turn out well either. By now I am getting faster turning the couplers on the lathe. Number 3 I figured to solder in together. Less heat and better control. After all it is not a high stress item.

MiniDave

Third time's a charm, right?   77.gif

That little lathe is sure becoming useful, isn't it?
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Willie_B

Quote from: MiniDave on June 23, 2020, 10:59:53 AM

That little lathe is sure becoming useful, isn't it?
\

It does open up another level of stuff making ability.

94touring