Just ordered a Moke shell

Started by Willie_B, January 17, 2018, 12:09:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiniDave

Thanks for the update, wasn't that a new front sub? Broken welds, weak welds and doesn't even fit? Where did it come from so I will never order one from them?

Is it a single bolt or two bolt per side subframe?
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

Actually, it is more likely the shell need fiddling to get the subframe to fit.  I had to make some adjustments to mine and I reused my original front subframe.

The openings in the inner wing where the subframe towers go had too much edging and needed some grinding to fit.  (Like taking the flashing off model parts or from a fiberglass molding.)

Jimini II

Quote from: MiniDave on February 20, 2019, 10:24:41 AM
Thanks for the update, wasn't that a new front sub? Broken welds, weak welds and doesn't even fit? Where did it come from so I will never order one from them?

Is it a single bolt or two bolt per side subframe?

All UK, Australian and Chinese Mokes use two bolts per side sub frames Dave. The Portuguese and Cagiva Mokes use the single bolt ones.

Willie_B

Got a tag for the front.

In Georgia I can run a year of manufacture tag on the rear. Still have to have a state issued plate and sticker but it does not need to be mounted (just in the vehicle somewhere) as long as you have the YOM tag registered in the state system. So hunting for a 1966 license plate for the rear. Seen a bunch but nothing that I am willing to buy yet. There are even places that will restore the plate with baked on paint.

BruceK

I remember when it was only Delaware that had a completely flat (non-embossed) license plate.  However my state went to the flat painted-on plates about 12 years ago, and so have a lot of other states too.  But the non-embossed plates still look fake to me - like bad movie props.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MiniDave

Deighton got YOM plates for three of his cars, Missouri allows you to register the car under the number on the plate, whatever it is. He had them all refurbished and the absolutely look brandy new.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Jimini II

Dave or Brad do either of you have the contact info for the plate restorers ?
I bought a brand new never issued 68 Florida plate and it is starting to rust and i want to refresh it before it gets too bad, i am guessing they did not make them from aluminum back then.

MiniDave

I'll ask Deighton who did his...they absolutely look brandy new. I think he said baked on enamel.....

Here you go.....

Larry Niederschulte,
816-365-0447,
noomnoen@aol.com,
www.larryslicenseplates.com

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Jimini II

Thanks Dave i will get in touch with him.

Just a heads up Dave the website you posted is missing the e in license it should read larryslicenseplates.com.

Thanks again.

Willie_B

Cleaning the wiper motor I got. Even used and needing overhaul they are over $100, already done goes for $350.

BruceK

These also fit contemporary Land Rovers too. I bet that added demand helps keep the prices high.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

Willie_B

Got the last parts in for the wiper motor to finish. Turned out usable.

BruceK

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

pbraun

Peter
65 Moke
60 Bugeye modified
66 Jaguar XJ13 ( I can wish )

Willie_B

After spending more time than I liked trying to get the front subframe I had to fit I just got a new one from MiniSport. Not cheap but it is a whole lot closer to fitting. It looks like a few minor tweaks and it should work.  An extra good thing about it is that has a welded in bracket for a front lower engine steady. Need to fit the front sump guard, special one that were on mokes. Also open up the front mount holes to 1/2" for the tow bar.

94touring

Are both subs heritage or one a knockoff?

Willie_B

The front is heritage, don't remember about the rear.

94touring

I meant on the fronts. I wonder why one fits better than the other.

Willie_B

The other one came from a pile of parts I bought in years past so...

MPlayle

Is the new one the correct type of tower mounts (single big bolt per side, or two thinner bolts per side)?

Willie_B

It is a twin bolt. In the photo you can see the bolts with heads cut off for use as guide pins when fitting.

Willie_B

Welded in nuts for a sump guard. Anything else I might want to do to the new subframe before paint?

Willie_B

Hopefully go get my mini and the moke powerplant the first week in June.

Had some hats made for mokin'. Extra points for whomever figures out the logo takeoff.

MiniDave

The prancing moose?  :-)

What did Steve find wrong with the engine out of your red Mini?

Did you decide on a color for the Moke yet? Red maybe?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Willie_B

The timing chain cover was cracked, that was the major leak. Could not find the rattle and he said it all looked good and ran on the test stand ok. It is back in the car with a few minor items to finish.

Still leaning toward a very light shade of blue.