Just ordered a Moke shell

Started by Willie_B, January 17, 2018, 12:09:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Willie_B

Just picked a scrap hydro subframe today. Need to remove all the stuff on it to make it light enough to move, then clean it up and test fit. it. It is too far gone with rust to use but should work for a test fit. Cost nothing but the time to go get it. Anybody need any rear hydro stuff?

Red Riley

Quote from: Willie_B on August 29, 2020, 04:55:20 PM
Just picked a scrap hydro subframe today. Need to remove all the stuff on it to make it light enough to move, then clean it up and test fit. it. It is too far gone with rust to use but should work for a test fit. Cost nothing but the time to go get it. Anybody need any rear hydro stuff?

Hang on to the hydro stuff. Somebody will want it eventually, especially if you throw it out. I know this.

Willie_B

The NEW sub fits perfect. Now to make some shims for the rear of the front sub that does not fit tight to the shell.

94touring

That solves that.  Do you know who made the other subframe?

Willie_B

Quote from: 94touring on September 02, 2020, 10:26:06 AM
That solves that.  Do you know who made the other subframe?
No idea.

Also the new mowog sub is made with thinner metal than the aftermarket one. 1.2mm vs 1.5mm.

94touring

BruceK

That's great news! I'm sure I'm not the only one who was a little worried that perhaps there was a problem with the Moke shell. Turns out it's perfect.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

pbraun

Interesting.  I got one from Mintek and it was fine!
Peter
65 Moke
60 Bugeye modified
66 Jaguar XJ13 ( I can wish )

MiniDave

If you don't have a use for that bad rear frame, I could use it for my rear engine project - I'll just be cutting it up into pieces anyway so being off square won't be a problem.
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Quote from: MiniDave on September 08, 2020, 06:44:20 AM
If you don't have a use for that bad rear frame, I could use it for my rear engine project - I'll just be cutting it up into pieces anyway so being off square won't be a problem.

I have a couple you can have. Come get them!

Willie_B

Just visited the body shop and he said to he should have room for the moke next Friday the 9th. He has been very busy lately.

Shop has been doing paint jobs for a guy that is building first gen Broncos from new shells and modern mechanicals. Guy said he has orders for 30 so far.

MiniDave

Wow, just when I think the economy is about to tank, I read something like this! 30 "new" Bronco orders???

Can't wait to see the Moke get color at last!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Willie_B

Looks like the place that does the Broncos is only 25 minutes from home.

https://www.facebook.com/VintageBroncos/

MiniDave

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Willie_B

According to their website inventory, 89k to 149k.  There are 2020 Broncos listed there for 199k.

BruceK

Quote from: Willie_B on October 02, 2020, 11:41:23 AM
According to their website inventory, 89k to 149k.  There are 2020 Broncos listed there for 199k.

Why don't they just list the 2020 Broncos for a gazillion trillion billion dollars?
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

94touring

Quote from: BruceK on October 02, 2020, 12:07:25 PM
Quote from: Willie_B on October 02, 2020, 11:41:23 AM

Why don't they just list the 2020 Broncos for a gazillion trillion billion dollars?

BruceK

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

Willie_B

So before the shell goes to paint I have been going over photos to make sure if I need to drill any more holes or anything else. Did find a couple of holes to add but also saw a welded on nut that was needed. Not able or willing to weld a nut on at this stage, more so as it is on the passenger side of the firewall for all to see.

Time to get creative yet again. Can you put a nutsert inside a nut???  Yes with a little work. Find the right size nut. Trim the nutsert down to the length needed. Drill out the inside of the nut so it will fit over the nutsert, then counterbore the inside a tiny bit so it will fit over the crimp part. A bit of JBWeld to hold the nut on and should be good to go. As the nut is just a cover for the nutsert glueing it on should work ok. It will be painted over when the shell gets done.

The last photo shows where I save the little plastic parts that bits come in to mix things like epoxy or JBWeld in to keep it contained.

BruceK

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

Speaking of Mokes, I ordered a steel Moke seat today for Clancy's Moke, $310 plus shipping for one bare, steel seat! Crikeys!  :-\

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

Original UK Moke steel seats have been known to go for as much as $1000 each!  Talk about crazy.

Willie_B

Off to the body shop for paint. Bout time.

Willie_B

Another part for the moke is close to being done. I got a new commission number plate but they do not come with the red printed info on them. Asked a friend that does screen printing if he could do it. Just got this photo of it. Now I need to send it off for the stamping part to be added. 

No idea how to change the file type so it just shows up without having to download it.

94touring