buying wheels

Started by joakwin, December 31, 2017, 10:03:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

joakwin

what place should I look at to buy wheels

I want some 13x7 et -7 wheels

does minisport usa give a good deal on shipping wheels?

ive looked at vto wheels but it seems like everyone has them because they are made in the states

ive looked at jb wheels and mini spares, and hudderfields

but I'm just unsure about shipping wheels from overseas because I'm sure shipping is going to be a lot

ive looked on minimania used parts and asked a guy to find out how much shipping will be on a used set of wheels

I'm almost to the point on my build that I need wheels to get it off jack stands

or should I look into converting my wheel pattern to a 4x100 and find some Honda wheels

D16z6 Automatic, 4 wheel disc brakes, deseamed shell

MPlayle

MiniSportUSA is the US representative of MiniSportUK.  Most parts actually ship from the UK main office.  Wheels would ship from the UK.

That said, they are still a good buy as the cost savings in price more than offsets the shipping cost and you still save over buying Mini wheels from the US suppliers. 

MiniDave

I agree, I bought my last set of tires from MiniSpares because they were less expensive (delivered) than any place else by a substantial margin.

If you put them in your basket, they will calculate the shipping for you......MiniSport a couple of months ago introduced a slightly slower but considerably less expensive shipping option, they will quote you so you know what you'll spend.

MiniSpares only ships via DHL air, so it's more expensive but only takes 3 days to get to you.

How would you go about converting to 4X100 so you can use Honda sized stuff?
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

I don't think there's ever been a scenario where getting Mini wheels or tires (or tires already mounted to wheels) from MiniMania or Seven makes economic sense.  Don't get hung up on shipping costs from the UK.  Once you figure in the much lower item costs in the UK the overall expense is always going to be cheaper from a UK supplier.  And the devalued pound (because of Brexit) against the dollar only helps the situation. 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

94touring

Jbw sells cheap mini wheels too. Knockoffs but I run them.

joakwin

MiniDave

13X7's really affect how far you can turn the wheels, just FYI. Those look pretty good, what tires will you get?
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

joakwin

I have some yokohoma 175/50/13 tires but I was thinking about trying some 185/60/13's

the automatic gearbox is wider then the manual gearbox,
my 13x6 +12 wheels hit the gearbox when I turn the wheels left so I need more offset

MPlayle

If you are still using the standard Mini rear subframe and swing arms, the 185/60/13 tires will be too tall and rub the swing arm mounts.  The 175's yield a nominal 19.889" diameter whereas the 185's yield a nominal 21.75" diameter.

joakwin

Quote from: MPlayle on December 31, 2017, 09:28:26 PM
If you are still using the standard Mini rear subframe and swing arms, the 185/60/13 tires will be too tall and rub the swing arm mounts.  The 175's yield a nominal 19.889" diameter whereas the 185's yield a nominal 21.75" diameter.

what about with a mini tec beam axle

or whats the max tire height that can be ran In the rear

MPlayle

Not familiar with the MiniTec rear beam axle.

Measure from the center of the hub to whatever mount is at the front of the wheel well (where the original swing arm mount and subframe mount would be).  That will give the the radius for what will contact there.  Do likewise going towards the back.  Usually it is the front facing radius that is the limiter.

For tire size computation example: 175/50/13 tires = (((175 * 0.50) / 25.4) * 2) + 13 = diameter (19.889); 2 * radius = diameter.

I seem to recall the max (that allows for about 1/8" clearance) on the original Mini suspension is a diameter of 21.5".

Note: The tire manufacturer's measurement rating is "nominal" and may vary slightly either way.  Some may be slightly oversized and others slightly undersized for the same measurement rating.

Richard1

I have bought all sets of wheels with tires for Mini Sport USA, although everything is shipped from the UK. Bought a set for my Pup, another for a friend's Saloon, and four sets for another friend (a Saloon, two estates, and a Moke).

Sometimes they don't show a set in stock, but you can often find the tires you want and the wheels you want and they will send them mounted and balanced.

Freight to Bolivia is not cheap, but nothing is.

Here are three of them