Seam Sealer?

Started by snack, October 13, 2009, 05:46:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snack

I'm just about ready to weld my inner/ outer sills and floor section.  I'm using the m-machine panels that have the inner and outer sills already welded and the panels  go to the first groove in the floor.  I also have a front 1/4 section  to fix the foot well area a well.  My question is on the sequence of finishing off the welds. Where the sill panels meet the floor I will have a butt weld basically the length of the floor and then the front quarter butt welded in to fill the rest of the front floor.  Once I have ground down the welds I'll spray with an etching primer, but I am unsure what comes next.  I'm thinking seam sealer and then primer over that?
I've never used seam sealer is there anything I should be aware of or it is pretty straight forward?
Thanks,
Steve

94touring

You really don't have to do anything else after dressing up your welds and primering, unless you want to.  You won't have a problem using it on the floors, and if you do a good job it may make any ugly welds or grinds along the welds look neater/professional.  I've had problems with seam sealer cracking between the wings and scuttle, and the paint trying to chip off it, but different scenerio there.  I like to use it under the wings where they meet the inner wings, just another way to keep water from getting into any gaps.  If you do use it on the floor I would only suggest you sand it before primering, just to prevent any peeling later.