hello new to site, vtec automatic swap

Started by joakwin, November 25, 2017, 12:26:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joakwin

Quote from: MiniDave on August 10, 2019, 01:38:57 PM
Yeah, those MiniSport style seats are made for people with the hips of a 13 year old boy! Miserable for any real sized adults....

yeha big time, they work great for xbox chairs but other then that they suck

ive had double hip surgery, and since then I have gained around 25lbs and am having a hard time dropping it, spare tire is getting big, lol

D16z6 Automatic, 4 wheel disc brakes, deseamed shell

joakwin

in AZ, I only need two mirrors in the car and im good......but the stock mini mirror sucks

I asked my brother if he has anymore stock Harley mirrors laying around, he said he will give a look

but I need to search online to see if stock sportster mirrors are the same as stock fxr mirrors

but I was also thinking of maybe taking the mirror to a glass place and have them cut me another mirror for it

joakwin

i kind of like these mirrors.......edit, $31 I ordered them, they will be here Monday, they are newer Harley stuff

this is how i am mounting the motorcycle mirrors to the car

i welded two 1/4 nuts to the door skin, and those nuts stick out from the door skin around 1/8 inch
and the plate, I milled out the backside for the two nuts, and the plate is made for each door to fit tight over the 1/4 inch nuts
and then I used some allen head bolts to hold the mounting plate to the door skin

black mirrors with green plate on the door

joakwin

MiniDave

Those look pretty much the same as the ones I got from Sport.
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

joakwin

got some black color allen head bolts for the steering connect

steering wheel is almost flat

mounted the 2nd mirror tonight

joakwin

joakwin

painting the trans cooler trim and bolts for it

joakwin

my mini got to hang out with its younger brother

2007 1.6, troubleshooting the check engine light
it has a code P0011, 12, and if I remember right, it had a 14 and 16 as well

but its also popping for the oil change, so I told my neighbor to change the oil and then see if those codes come back

im thinking the vanos sols are going out, but I know those newer Bini's start acting up when they need oil changes done, and
I have no idea what oil they are using, but I dont think its the castrol oil that minis call for

jedduh01

YEP =  agreed
  I have a 06BMW 530  with two vanos solenoids  Inline 6 Cyl..  when  she does go a bit over on oil changes it will throw this code.

Oil change recommend   also  pulling the Variable valve solenoid and simply spraying it clean with brake cleaner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPrFXKPI8H4

Oh   =   Nice progress on your mini build too!   

MiniDave

These turbo engine cars are definitely sensitive to oil changes, they have to be done once a year or every 10K miles. They not only can sludge up the Vanos, but they also get sludge in the oil return line to the block, and that can kill the turbo. I use Mobil1 that I buy at Walmart in the 5 qt containers, usually on sale for like $22. Buy the filter from the dealer - unless you can find a Wix brand locally - the other aftermarket filters are crap.

The other issue especially with these early turbo cars was the timing chain - they had a LOT of problems with the tensioners, guides and chains on these. The final version of the repair kit seems to be OK and lasts well, but def check it for chain stretch and make sure it has the latest tensioner at least.

The tensioner is easy to change, it sits up high on the back of the head on the right side, and just screws into the head. You might change it just on general principle.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

joakwin

Quote from: MiniDave on August 14, 2019, 08:36:28 AM
These turbo engine cars are definitely sensitive to oil changes, they have to be done once a year or every 10K miles. They not only can sludge up the Vanos, but they also get sludge in the oil return line to the block, and that can kill the turbo. I use Mobil1 that I buy at Walmart in the 5 qt containers, usually on sale for like $22. Buy the filter from the dealer - unless you can find a Wix brand locally - the other aftermarket filters are crap.

The other issue especially with these early turbo cars was the timing chain - they had a LOT of problems with the tensioners, guides and chains on these. The final version of the repair kit seems to be OK and lasts well, but def check it for chain stretch and make sure it has the latest tensioner at least.

The tensioner is easy to change, it sits up high on the back of the head on the right side, and just screws into the head. You might change it just on general principle.

I think its a non turbo engine

but im not 100%, I dont know to much about the bini's besides the R53's

ive only worked on R53 newer bini's because I had one for a bit

MiniDave

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

joakwin

Quote from: MiniDave on August 14, 2019, 10:23:44 AM
Oh, you're right, no hood scoop.....

I still think the check engine light is from the oil needing to be changed

still waiting on the neighbor to do it.....moving on

joakwin

the are in now......the driver seat is about 3-4 inches rearward

test fit......

MiniDave

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Willie_B

I see where you added lightness on one of the dash brackets.

joakwin

Quote from: Willie_B on August 15, 2019, 04:27:23 PM
I see where you added lightness on one of the dash brackets.

two of them, the ones that hold the cluster

I need to drill holes into the other one but im thinking about removing it

and bending a tube for the top of the dash

maybe a 1inch by .65 dom tube for the upper bend of the dash.....I have to go see what the metal yard has in stock for dom tube

and just sheet metal it and cover it in vinyl

joakwin

head lights and aux lights on, i need to adjust them but they put out a lot of light

joakwin

billet rear hub bearing caps from mini sport came in today

also the new black front seat belts came in

im still playing around with caster setting on the car, make adjustments and then test drive and see how the car feels and see if I like the feel

so far im 3 days into alignments

pic just to show the alignment tool, but im doing the work on flat ground

the awesome thing about having my alignment tool is I can try as many different numbers as I like and if I dont like it, I can change the specs till I find what feel good to me

MiniDave

What numbers are you running? A lot depends on whether you're going for an ultimate canyon carver or a nice cruiser....

In front I run about 3° caster
1/2-1 1/2° negative camber
Tiny bit of toe out

In the back 1/2° negative camber
tiny bit of toe in

this seems to be a good road setup both for regular driving and canyon carving. Obviously the more camber you run the twitchier it is just going down the road, but the better it will turn in.

I'll be interested to see what you wind up with as your best solution.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

joakwin

Quote from: MiniDave on August 20, 2019, 06:49:12 AM
What numbers are you running? A lot depends on whether you're going for an ultimate canyon carver or a nice cruiser....

In front I run about 3° caster
1/2-1 1/2° negative camber
Tiny bit of toe out

In the back 1/2° negative camber
tiny bit of toe in

this seems to be a good road setup both for regular driving and canyon carving. Obviously the more camber you run the twitchier it is just going down the road, but the better it will turn in.

I'll be interested to see what you wind up with as your best solution.

im playing around with the caster setting,
have been setting camber to -.5
and playing with toe out between 1/16-1/8

and -.5 camber in the rear and 1/16-1/8 toe in for the rear

its kind of fun to try a different setting and see how the car reacts to it

joakwin

haven't worked on the mini for a week or two now, haven't been feeling the greatest, my head has been killing me the last few weeks

so today I made myself get out to the garage and do something

I started out with some 1/2 inch t6160 alloy plate and cut it down to build this wedge

joakwin

the mirror needed more adjustment inward to the mini, so I can see out of it...if its going to be on the car it has to function, or its just added weight

new and old mount

I painted the underside of the mount, and just waiting for it to dry before flipping it over to paint the top side

I plan to get it mounted back on the car today

MiniDave

OK, waiting to see what you're doing with that.....  ;D

Edit: posted at the same time!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad