Previous topic - Next topic

MiniDave

Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

joakwin

Untitled by joa kwin, on Flickr

I dont think they will be ready to paint the mini by tomorrow, much less the primer

I have the cash pulled out and its just chilling

I want the car back but at the same time its going to stop me working on the truck as much, until I get it all done but I got time

up top is a video of the truck's front suspension, just click on the image and the video should play

I still need to order shocks for it

im waiting on the 3rd member still, the housing is on back order, im getting ready to cancel that order and order from a different company

D16z6 Automatic, 4 wheel disc brakes, deseamed shell

joakwin

steering wheel for the mini

60249221_446133045953565_2477584157081862144_n by joa kwin, on Flickr

60295340_920442591638947_5122302461066870784_n by joa kwin, on Flickr

seats for the mini,

they fit me as well, the pair of classic bucket seats I have for the mini are tight in the hip area for me, I could use them only for short drives but not for a long drive

body shop isn't done with the mini yet,
it was Wednesday and that is long gone now, but the plan changed for the front clip and hood, so maybe thats why they didn't make Wednesday

the body shop is changing out the hood pin set up to some air craft style latches, 4 on the hood and 4 on the front clip to hold it down, because its still a flip front and removed front clip
the lower front mounts for the clip rotate on some 3/8's bolts and the brackets are held to the front subframe with a pair of 1/2 inch bolts, that also hold the alloy tow points to the front subframe

MiniDave

I'd like to see that......how they are doing the clips and such.

My granddaughter will be joining you all in Tucson this fall when she starts college!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

joakwin

Quote from: MiniDave on May 10, 2019, 07:50:06 AM
I'd like to see that......how they are doing the clips and such.

My granddaughter will be joining you all in Tucson this fall when she starts college!
77.gif
its hot here and she will need to drink a lot of water and she will get alone just fine with the heat

my front clip has the A panels built into them, so they are going to put the push lock clips off of the panel that the door bolts to, 2 on each side

I just got a new toy in the mail today, I have to go buy some sheet metal to try it out

but I spend most of the day working on a gmc eonvy, how ever its spelled, but it has a 5.3 and it had a code for knock sensors
not sure if you guys know anything about ls engines, but the knock sensors are mounted in the valley under the intake manifold  50.gif

and then i dont have the tool to disconnect the fuel lines from the fuel rails,
and the right side clamp for the crossover tube was bent when i took it off, and the fuel o ring was bad,

so i got lucky because i had a extra truck fuel rail set up and i have extra fuel o rings,
so i put it on, hooked it up, code cleared on its own,

did the job for my neighbor

but in return, he has a homeboy with a hook up on tires

so im getting two 205/75/15 tires mounted on some brand new rims, ( mock up rims) they are going on the 37
I got the rims from summit racing, $52 ea, they are the same rims I have on the mini but a 15x7 with 5x4.75 bolt pattern

the 205x75x15 tires are the same size I want to go with in 20's (27.11 inches tall), ones I figure out what kind of rim spacing I need for the truck

the diff for the 9 inch comes in monday
so i can put the axle together next week, this weekend im going to try and work on installing the rear air bags

MiniDave

She lives just up the road in Phoenix now, so she knows about the heat!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

joakwin

Quote from: MiniDave on May 10, 2019, 04:35:00 PM
She lives just up the road in Phoenix now, so she knows about the heat!

Phx is way hotter then here

by about 5-10 degrees

on another note, do we have any mini people on this site that live up in Seattle?

im going up to Seattle in June, North East part...in a small town called Kirkland......yes the same name as Costco, lol

going up to see my grandparents and some cuzns and I have some friends down in the McChord area as well

joakwin

60787786_2292565944349538_3769002611634601984_n by joa kwin, on Flickr

rear set up

I went and saw the mini today,

body shop  says they are going to have it ready to leave tomorrow late afternoon

upper bag mounts by joa kwin, on Flickr

im still going to weld a bar on the front side of those notches, putting a small bend into it

I cut the axles to length this morning, that was fun, 1st time doing it but its good, axle is pretty much together, have to put studs in still and then I can get it on 4 wheels

60389117_871047409912903_6036698988340576256_n by joa kwin, on Flickr
body shop said they are doing one more coat of primer and then it will be ready for my primer and paint
they plan to stay late and come in early to get the paint on it
I took this picture at around 1pm today

they were still working on the hood, it has a low spot but it wont take much time to have it primed and blocked out and ready to go, another guy was working on it when I showed up earlier
they told me to come back around 5pm, to see it in all one primer color and ready for my primer and paint,
they were going to let it dry in the booth over night and have it ready to go first thing in the morning

I would go back at 5pm but my son has a project due tomorrow at school and hes no where close to being done

joakwin

Picked up the mini

The boot lid and hood were still in the paint booth

Willie_B

joakwin

60929522_1299056273608875_6732671629471514624_n by joa kwin, on Flickr

started to mess around with door cards

alloy and then I plan to cover them with some vinyl

I got a 19 inch east-wood bead roller to build door cards, I just have to learn how to use it, lol

but I figure what the heck, only way to learn is to start putting lines into some metal and see what happens

MiniDave

Is that one hand operated or powered?

What do you think of the color, did it come out the way you hoped it would?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

joakwin

Quote from: MiniDave on May 20, 2019, 05:49:08 PM
Is that one hand operated or powered?

What do you think of the color, did it come out the way you hoped it would?

I got the electric motor kit for it as well

eastwood had the 19 inch bead roller on sale a month or so ago

I kind of wanted the 27 inch, but the 19 was on sale and its more then good for what I need it for
the 27 would have been huge and heavy

right now im using the 19 inch set on on a vise and its kind of a pain to set up

I have a huge vise bolted to a 22.5 inch rim

at some point when I get more room in the garage, I would like to build a stand for the bead roller set up, and maybe set it up to rotate at the top, to make it easier to put away when done

the color of this od green came out better then what I wanted, I was looking for that perfect picture image of od green, or perfect as the image was in my head, and this just hit the nail on the head for me

MiniDave

Good, I'm glad the paint shop hit the color....are you planning to put decals and such on it? Like army markings of some sort?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

joakwin

Quote from: MiniDave on May 22, 2019, 07:05:13 AM
Good, I'm glad the paint shop hit the color....are you planning to put decals and such on it? Like army markings of some sort?

I was thinking about getting some flat white or satin black stars made, with a magnet backing, so I can take them on and off

as far as the numbers on the hood and whatnot, im still doing my homework on those, for the size and what needs to be on it

but if I put the reg number, I will use my og british plate numbers, B235 BMK

joakwin

went up to Seattle for 2 weeks

went and did car things with one of my uncles and cuzns and one of my kids went with us to Lemays in Tacoma

and what do you know, they had a special mustang on display

fyi its the Bullitt Mustang that Steve McQueen drove in the movie

joakwin

64734957_1208795519282124_6302673415195066368_n by joa kwin, on Flickr

ordered some toys while I was gone so that they could come in while I was gone

new on/off switch for my mill

and not pictured is 6 9/16 end mill bits

joakwin

picked the mini up from the body shop again today, its done much better this time, im happy but at the same time, the engine started to smoke white,
probably popped a head gasket again

I asked the body shop if they ran the car for a long time and they said only to move the car in and out of the paint booth

the engine fan isn't turning on from the switch, maybe the fuse popped not sure yet

maybe it over heated or something and thats why the head gasket popped

im going to do a compression test to see what numbers it has,

hope its not a cracked head, I dont know how much longer im going to keep this engine in this car

I kind of want to put the k24/automatic set up in the mini, k24 from my extra car, honda element

joakwin

the three back windows are now installed into the mini and the boot lid and seal installed

I changed the glass on the pop out windows

getting the last pop out window frame back together was fun, that sucker that want to work with me, so a few clamps later and I was good

I ordered new mk2 tail light assy and door seals, $172 shipped with ups

the old door seals got some gray primer on them and I didn't really feel like trying to clean them, less work to just order new ones

joakwin

door glass has been installed

tomorrow im going to work on installed the front windshield, going to put the seal on the glass and then work it onto the body, see how that works out for me

tsumini

Quote from: joakwin on June 24, 2019, 05:42:29 PM

tomorrow im going to work on installed the front windshield, going to put the seal on the glass and then work it onto the body, see how that works out for me
Did you have any trouble with the door glass. My glass doesn't slide well in the channels. Had to trim down some. I used Phoenix Trim channels.

joakwin

Quote from: tsumini on June 24, 2019, 09:38:30 PM
Quote from: joakwin on June 24, 2019, 05:42:29 PM

Did you have any trouble with the door glass. My glass doesn't slide well in the channels. Had to trim down some. I used Phoenix Trim channels.

I have the outer window seal on the door off right now, and the glass fit into the door no problems

I put some lube into the glass channels at the bottom, and also some on the rollers and also I put some on the gears,

the windows roll up and down pretty easy

the channels that the glass slides in on the sides, those are old ones but I replaced them 6 years ago with some from dsn classic

joakwin

65605166_448367382395394_6365354240927334400_n by joa kwin, on Flickr

finally opened up my door inner and outer seals, 7 ent mini sent them from me, but they got them from mini spares,

the box from mini spares was bent in the mini, and the box from 7 to me was fine

im alittle upset with 7 from sending me this crap

I sent them a email but since its sunday I have to wait for them to open tomorrow

I was going to paint the chrome od green, so I can fix the dents by hitting it from the inside, but at the same time, why?

its 90 bucks plus the ride for the parts

super upset with 7 at this point in time

joakwin

today turned out better

I was able to get one of my flat plate uca on the truck,

7 ent mini shipped me a new set of door seals

I just hope they get here in time, as the summer rain feels like its coming soon

65669246_497538250989377_6758440209181835264_n by joa kwin, on Flickr

joakwin

door seal by joa kwin, on Flickr

door seal 1 by joa kwin, on Flickr

door seal 3 by joa kwin, on Flickr

untitled by joa kwin, on Flickr

7 ent mini sent me new window seals for free, super happy now

they taped wood to the four sides of the box, the seals came in good

I taped them off and painted the chrome bits od green

the new seals are on the car now, just in time because the summer rain is coming, any day now, its looking like it wants to rain now