hello new to site, vtec automatic swap

Started by joakwin, November 25, 2017, 12:26:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gr8kornholio

I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

MiniDave

Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

joakwin

Quote from: MiniDave on December 11, 2018, 07:19:45 PM
where does that mount?

it mounts to the back seat wall, box in the boot and woofers inside the shell, the back seat will go over it
D16z6 Automatic, 4 wheel disc brakes, deseamed shell

MPlayle

You do realize that the body panel that forms the rear seat back is structural to the Mini?

Cutting that much out to permit the box to stick into the boot with the front of the box in the cabin with compromise the structural rigidity of the body to torsional forces.

joakwin

Quote from: MPlayle on December 12, 2018, 11:15:34 AM
You do realize that the body panel that forms the rear seat back is structural to the Mini?

Cutting that much out to permit the box to stick into the boot with the front of the box in the cabin will compromise the structural rigidity of the body to torsional forces.
that would be true if I didn't have a roll cage in my car

it has a roll cage made out of dom 120 wall and cds 120 wall tube, by 1.50 or 38mm, I used a smaller dia tube but went with a thicker wall
the bigger 1.75 dia tube could have been used with a .95 wall thick tube, but 1.75 tube looks huge in a mini vs the 1.50 dia tube and since the car is so small to start out with, I went with the 1.50 dia, this cage is super close to the body, in a bigger car I would use the bigger tube but most pre built cages for minis use 38mm tube, I figured it would be fine

and it has legs that connect at the B post top and follow the body line to the C post area with a bend to connect the cage to the upper coilover mount in the boot

I just dont have a rear turret kit to support the rear of the car and act as a upper coilover mounts, yeha no stock sheet metal wheel tubes supporting the rear of my car, the rear turret kits are just thicker metal welded to the sheet metal, one of the reasons as to why I cant use a stock mini fuel tank anymore

and at the B post at the floor, it has a tube that connects each side together and connects to the exhaust tunnel in the center and it also has two tubes from that cross tube that connect to the heel board and sandwich plates that connects the mini tech rear subframe to the cage, and the heel board outer bolts have been upgraded in size as well

i know this is not the perfect way to check for flex but
i can lift the car up from one corner till 3 wheels are in the air and then i can use a 2nd jack on the body on the side with the back wheel in the air and jack the body up and i can just tell by feel the body starts to move right away,

i tried the same thing with my 998 black and white mini that is pretty much stock, no roll cage, and it takes alot more to jack that car up onto 3 wheels and the body flexes alot when compared to the other car

my buddy had a b18 mini, and before he put a cage in it, you could feel the chassis flex from the engine power, as soon as he put a cage in, that flex was gone

cds is a type of tube they use over in the UK for roll cage building
dom is a type of tube used over here in the states for roll cage building

maybe i didn't post a picture of the rear cage set up on here

gr8kornholio

If you need a set of those turrets I have a pair I'm not using.

"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

joakwin

48414183_796029747401391_6904801145462456320_n by joa kwin, on Flickr

still working on cleaning up the boot

im going to start on making some filler panels for the boot lid

MiniDave

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

joakwin

Quote from: MiniDave on December 19, 2018, 12:28:16 PM
No spare tire anymore?

I have to buy a 5th rim and another tire, since im running 13's that are 20.8 inches tall

plus I haven't had a spare tire in the car for more then 5-6 years

my old r53 never had a spare, I just made sure I always had good tires on it

MiniDave

Yeah, I never carry one in my 09 Clubby either, but I do keep one in the Classic - even tho I keep new tires on it.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

joakwin

boot lid panels by joa kwin, on Flickr

I made the panels for the boot lid but before I install them all the way, I want to paint the rest of the boot lid satin black

joakwin

joakwin

jbl stage 8's by joa kwin, on Flickr

jbl stage 8's subs getting ready to be installed
for that all jbl system in the mini

joakwin

led headlights 1 by joa kwin, on Flickr

led headlights, I cant wait to see how bright these lights are
going to be awesome

MiniDave

Which ones are those? What kind of cooling do they use?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

gr8kornholio

You're boots going to take a pounding with those in there.   20.gif

joakwin

https://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_1726_Dynamat-Xtreme-Bulk-Pack-10455.html

I have 2 boxes of this stuff in the shell

inside the boot, the floors, roof, the seat wall, doors, firewall, boot lid has something

the shell is pretty solid

joakwin

installed the jbl's into the box today

the jbl's have alittle bit bigger of a magnet then those sony subs

gr8kornholio

I had to buy a whole new sub once cause I miss measured the size of the magnet compared to my box size.  Of course the box was tiny cause it was wedged behind the seat of my 85 toyota pickup.  Speaking of which, I finished taking all the wiring out of it since that system is going in the mini eventually.  All this stereo talk got me itching to work on it.  Crazy thing is, I'm still using the 4 gauge power/ground wire I've had since my first stereo as a teenager back in the 90's.  Stuff still looks new.

joakwin

snow in tucson by joa kwin, on Flickr

two days in a row now

this white stuff on the ground, in Tucson, wtf

MiniDave

Really? Snow in Tucson...land of the sun? Damn global warming......climate change indeed!   ;D

Wow, you can see for miles and miles and miles and miles and miles!  whoah yeah.... 4.gif

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

joakwin

Today I found a small space heater for my garage, and took my d16z6 head off, figured out why the thing was running hot.....the head gasket dowel pin holes were to
Big, so the gasket had side to side play, so the gasket didn't line up correctly and so it seems that was the cause of it getting coolant into cylinders, but it would burn away, and the engine still had 180-185 psi of compression,  the old head gasket was a felpro that had some blue paint like stuff on it.   The new gasket I put on it is a oem Honda one, better fit

joakwin

The old head gasket was a 3 layer and inbetween each lay it had coolant mixed in, that thing wasn't sealing to well

So I checked the head and block and they are flat, good to go,

I got the head back on and torqued to spec, I put the intake on but I have to pull it back off because the bottom center stud threads needs to be cleaned up, so while I got it off again, I'm going to the hondata thermo intake manifold gasket I have laying around,
I have 3-4 normal paper style gaskets for this motor but I got this hondata gasket for my built itb d16z6 but i can get another one down the road since it's going to be a long time before I build my other project.......

I'll post pictures later as soon as I figure out how to on my phone