hello new to site, vtec automatic swap

Started by joakwin, November 25, 2017, 12:26:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joakwin

Quote from: MiniDave on November 04, 2018, 07:35:07 AM
Can you do a vid? I'd love to hear what it sounds like with that exhaust......

yeah I will

getting my coffee in right now before any thing can happen

D16z6 Automatic, 4 wheel disc brakes, deseamed shell

joakwin

video-1536969967 by joa kwin, on Flickr

here's the side exit with the bigger pipe

click on the picture

1st drive by joa kwin, on Flickr

here's the bigger pipe with the exhaust out the back

joakwin

I got the twin box rc40 mounted to the car and so far I think its what ive been searching for as far as exhaust sounds go

I still need to test drive the car to see how it sounds with higher rpm,
but I can tell that it doesn't sound as loud and I think it sounds pretty deep and
I feel it doesn't sound all ricer

twin box rc40 exhaust video by joa kwin, on Flickr

click on the picture and it will take you to where the video is

joakwin

I think my cooling problem is a stuck thermostat

or the new water pump is bad

im thinking thermostat is bad, because the lower hose is hotter then the upper hose

edit, I tested the t stat and its good

tomorrow I plan on back flushing the engine, but I think thats fine

I did a compression check and everything was at 175-180, pretty even on all 4 cylinders, so I think my head gasket is good still

I do plan to get my alloy 2 core radiator fixed and I plan to modify a stock R53 e-fan to fit behind the rad

with the two of them next to each other, they are about 4.5 inches deep, and the fan housing design gives me good space for the upper hose to connect to the rad

so its just a matter of cutting up the fan housing to make work with the honda rad,
tomorrow I will see if this is do able or not

my R53 e-fan relay is bad, but I plan on cutting that of and just running the two wire set up,
I know the fan works because when it went out on me before, as a temp, I jumped the relay on the houseing and made that mug work so that I could go buy a replacement fan

ps....oh yeah I almost forgot to say anything about the exhaust, I took the mini up to 90mph, or what my speedo says anyways, I think it was more like 75-80mph

and the exhaust is loud but it is a livable loud, I dont think its over the top loud, just perfect for the amount of volume it puts out

and driving it around town doing anywhere from 30-45 mph, it was nice and I even had the side pop out windows open

I think im going to be happy with the exhaust this time around, or happy for now

edit one more time......I just looked it up, tire size comparison, at 90mph on the speed, the mini is doing 82.5mph, it did that speed with no problems, and it felt like it had a lot more to give,

MiniDave

What RPM were you turning at "90" mph? I would have thought the automatic would have a taller final drive ratio. I recently put a taller diff in Don's Pup, went from a 4.27 to a 3.75, really made the car a lot more livable.....

I thought that exhaust sounded pretty good, not too "Honda-ish"   ;D

Overheating....are you sure the rad is clean and flowing freely? I always check the easy stuff first. The R53 had a two speed fan, usually what fails is the resistor that controls the low speed....the fan is fine but they didn't sell the resistor as a separate part - now they have a kit to replace just the resistor, so if you get one of those you can have a two speed fan again.

You're getting there!
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

joakwin

The r53 fan didn't work out, I stuck a Chevy impala cop car fan into the mix

I back flush the engine today, I put a blank t stat and the engine seemed to stay cooler for a lot longer now

After running the engine for a hour the engine temp was half way
But I noticed that when I rev the engine up, alittle bit of water comes out of the exhaust

And after about 2 hours of running, I noticed that high revs it would smoke white alittle bit

That would be signs of a cracked head on the exhaust side of it

I ran a compression test and those numbers where great ie 175 range

So I think I'm going to have to buy one of those kits that can tell me if their is compression going into the coolant

MiniDave

Water coming out of the exhaust is a normal byproduct of combustion, white smoke may or may not indicate a problem. Usually if combustion gasses are leaking into the cooling system you'll see bubbles in the radiator....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

joakwin

Quote from: MiniDave on November 07, 2018, 02:01:56 PM
Water coming out of the exhaust is a normal byproduct of combustion, white smoke may or may not indicate a problem. Usually if combustion gasses are leaking into the cooling system you'll see bubbles in the radiator....

yeah it has some of those as well

the del sol always had a over heating issue from when I got it at that auction summer of 2017, but my winning bid price for it was $275

not to bad of a price,

theirs a place up in phx that i can get a rebuilt motor for $950 with no core, and they come with a 75.5mm bore

that should make alittle more power

so maybe next year or so i'll buy another d16 motor

but for now, i plan on trying to find another used head for this motor and go swap it out in the next few weeks

but today i put a bigger fan onto the rad

this fan is super loud

i got it out of a chevy impala v6 car

the a/c fan motor went out, and so the twin fans were replaced, so i took the set up to cut it up to fit the main cooling fan on the mini

joakwin

MiniDave

Well, it sure sounds like it's moving a lot of air!   4.gif

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

joakwin

speaker pods by joa kwin, on Flickr

made some sealed speaker boxes for some jbl 6.5 2 way comps

gr8kornholio

Those look nice, where are you mounting them?
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

joakwin

speaker pod location by joa kwin, on Flickr

this was before I cut the pods down to make them smaller
i had to cut them down a hair to clear the throttle pedal on the other side

joakwin

black carpet speaker pods by joa kwin, on Flickr

I ended up cutting down the speaker pod alittle bit, its not as big so I hope that it doesn't jack up the sound from them
or well, I can always build more

tomorrow I plan to get this box mounted to the car
if I can get over my man flu I got going on right now
today was pretty bad, all of my joints hurt like crazy, everything felt cold, aka the man flu

MiniDave

It's going around...I have it too, as do a few of my friends....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

joakwin

Quote from: MiniDave on November 14, 2018, 10:29:40 PM
It's going around...I have it too, as do a few of my friends....

looks like the other day was the worst, and it seemed to break last night, I was able to sleep all night

today my joints dont feel cold, after morning coffee its time to get to work

going to get the 2nd speaker covered and mount the pair

joakwin

joakwin

joakwin

jbl in the house by joa kwin, on Flickr

lost the gun trigger from my lincoln welder, but found a new one in town for $3.28

i made a metal frame to hold the amp, i still need to build one more bracket for it

tomorrow i plan on running power cables and speaker cables,
the stereo is pre-wired but i havn't installed the stereo into its home yet

the speaker boxes and amp dont get in the way of leg room on that side

joakwin

got the stereo and amp working together today

for some reason I wasn't getting a ground in the harness that I had hooked up for the stereo,
alittle bit of troubleshooting and I ended up using a ground off of the a/c control wiring
stereo works,

the speaker pods gave those speakers a lot of mid base, I had to eq the mid bass down, but it still has good punch to it

I was playing some of the mix from Dj Rectangle, ill rated, I like to test it all out before getting the deck put into its house

Untitled by joa kwin, on Flickr

JBL gto 6.5 comp 2 ways 2ohm speakers, jbl amp that puts out 80x2@2ohms, speaker pods are made out of 3/4 mdf, I didn't use any poly fill in the boxes

kenwood deck that I forget the model, but I have the speakers crossed over at 120hz,

im still working on getting the sub amp installed, only place I have room for it right now is on the right side of the boot

and I have two mtx thunder 5000 8's, that i plan to push with 300watts for now, i plan on buying some micro amps down the road,
the mono micro amp im looking at puts out 470watts, should be nice for those two 8's

the other pair of 8's i have are some sony's, they are in a small sealed box, i plan to test the sony's and the mtx's to see what sounds the best to me

and for now will stick them on the back seat until i build a box for the rear deck

joakwin

new box by joa kwin, on Flickr

I built a new sub box for the daily ride

joakwin

old box by joa kwin, on Flickr

old box and new box as im switching it out

joakwin

sub box by joa kwin, on Flickr

in the process of building a box to hold two 8 inch subs, it looks ruff but its far from done

joakwin

joakwin