hello new to site, vtec automatic swap

Started by joakwin, November 25, 2017, 12:26:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeff10049

4.gif
I did the same on those inner fenders I'm working on 3rd time was good I waited until it was cooler. Also did lighter coats and added a filter to my compressor just in case it was oil contamination. 
I think the temp was the biggest factor.

joakwin

I was looking up the temps from last year and it looks like late oct time frame is when the temp will get down to around the 70's,
so im looking at waiting till then for paint

but I still need to build my sheet metal dash and center console and get the front seats mounted

I have some Nissan Micra k11 seats right now but they are a hair on the wide side for the mini

the del sol seats are more narrow then the Micra seats, but I was thinking about some Dodge Neon seats,
I saw some in the junkyard that were in good shape and the color I want
but I need to go back with a tape measure and see how wide they are
they are at my local pull a part, they are about $25 each, not to bad in price

D16z6 Automatic, 4 wheel disc brakes, deseamed shell

joakwin

I ended up building the exhaust over again, im making it come out of the right side in front of the wheel, I still need to build a tip, im thinking of making that kind of a flat oval shape,

but im not sure yet, because I still haven't made up my mind if im going to build steps to connect the two flares together on each side
but I have picked up the metal to build them, lol

some flat plate and some 1.5 inch dom tube, the tube will get welded to the roll cage plates on the bottom side, but I was thinking maybe getting some thin 1.25 dom tube to come off the roll cage plates
like a .83 tube or something around that size, it only has to support the weight of people getting into the car, not very much, or not that im going to have many people riding in it with me

my wife has only rode in my mini a few times over the 9 years that i have had it

MiniDave

It's so low, do you think you really need a step?

My bride has ridden in my Mini 1 or 2 times...total.
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

joakwin

I worked on the exhaust this past weekend, I just have to make mounts for the center and side and it will be back on the car for good this time

I'm looking at buying a bench top mill, kind of a smaller one

Some guy up in phx has a SIEG x2 with no extra tooling, guy said he was into wood working and wanted to try out metal and didn't like it, so I don't think he used it much or if any at all, pretty much a new machine

and then some guy in sandeigo has a jet jmd-15 and it comes with extra tooling

joakwin

MiniDave

Wish I had room for even a small lathe and mill in my shop!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

Make me an offer I can't refuse...... 77.gif

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

joakwin

video-1536969967 by joa kwin, on Flickr

side exit exhaust in front of the right rear wheel

MiniDave

Gonna cut it at a slant to match the rocker?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

joakwin

joakwin

Jet mill machine by joa kwin, on Flickr

got the mill sitting at my parents house right now, going to pick it up in a few days

joakwin

jeff10049

sweet that one came with some tooling correct?
I'm very interested to see how capable that machine is as I would like to down grade to something smaller than what I had I sold a wells index 847 it was a beast but took up too much space for how much I used it.
i've also been looking at these http://charteroakautomation.com/our-products/cnc-bed-mill/

MiniDave

That looks like a beast too! What would you spend for that? Can you use your existing tooling or would you have to buy all new stuff?

That little Jet unit would be perfect for what I do....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

joakwin

It came with a vise and the collets for the end mills, I have end mills from 3/16 up to 3/4 and it has a drill bit holder collet set up and another thing, not sure the name of it but it's used to shave the thickness of the metal, and it came with a hardware kit and a few other bits, I got it mounted to the stand this morning, I had to clean my garage because it was kind of a hot mess and where I put this mill, I had a table saw and my itb d16 drivetrain, the d16 tucks real nice right next to the mill.    But I picked this machine up for $900

joakwin

https://quartertonparts.com/product/34087-olive-drab-gallon-paint/

thinking about this color

my dad gave me some new hplv paint guns, a primer gun with a 1.8 tip
and a paint gun with a 1.3 tip

and I spent the afternoon making a new dash for the car
im building it out of 1/2 inch mdf
and I cut some 3/4 thick strips out of some 3/4 mdf to use as the backing where the top and bottom come together

I used some wood glue and some finishing nails to hold it together for now

im thinking about adding some fiberglass mat to the back side because I want to trim the front side top edge a lot, kind of round it out

MiniDave

I'd like to see that dash!

I know the army green means more to you than some of us, but I think cars are supposed to be shiny.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

joakwin

dash 3 by joa kwin, on Flickr

the start of the dash for the mini,
I was thinking about mounting some tweeters up in the top corners, but I have to make something to hold the tweeters in that location

and then make some type of fiberglass pod to hold a 6.5 inch mid woofer under the dash area

I made the radio mount today also, made it out of a steel plate and then cut the opening into the plate with the mill,
I plan to weld that to the roll cage dash bar, the radio will be kind of tucked under the dash somewhat, kind of out of sight

switch pod 1 by joa kwin, on Flickr
switch pod 2 by joa kwin, on Flickr

and the start of the switch pod to hold the stock del slow switches that went above the cluster

im moving them to below the cluster in the center

somehow the plastic on one side got broke, so i had to rebuild it and then also glass the two halfs together
its starting to take shape

joakwin

joakwin

MiniDave

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

joakwin

mini on new wheels by joa kwin, on Flickr

had to turn the mini around to work on the front end alittle bit

Willie_B

joakwin

headlights and running lights and turn signals and spot lights and horn wired up now

still need to find a cool looking fog light and back up light, I have mk2 tail lights with no back up light, and I haven't added wiring for a rear fog light, but I dont really need it here in Tucson, and the back up light wiring is their, just dont have a light for it yet, not sure if im going to add one or not

headlights by joa kwin, on Flickr