hello new to site, vtec automatic swap

Started by joakwin, November 25, 2017, 12:26:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

94touring

This is the freebie 120 gallon beast.  Hands down best tool in the shop.  Best part is having it outside so it's quiet inside

joakwin

Quote from: 94touring on June 03, 2018, 06:55:17 AM
This is the freebie 120 gallon beast.  Hands down best tool in the shop.  Best part is having it outside so it's quiet inside

that's a bad a$$ compressor

I wish I could have my compressor outside, I would have to build a out house for it, so it doesn't get rained on in the summer time and to keep it out of the heat

email says the new pressure switch will be in Wednesday

I can hold off using it to much for the next few days

I used to help my neighbors flip cars, that's how I saved up to buy this 60 gallon set up, before I had a 30gal and I killed that thing, the electric motor was built into the compressor type deal, I broke the compressor,

I rebuilt this guys (70 or 72 I forget now) f250 truck, new motor/trans/ cleaned the frame, sand blasted everything else that wasn't replaced, new water pump, oil pan, blasted engine acc brackets, timing cover, everything painted, frame was covered in years of oil, pressure washed the frame and painted it, ( I had to lift the cab off of the truck to clean the frame), suspension parts were blasted and painted or replaced for new and painted, painted the intake manifold, air cleaner was blasted and painted, I made a ton of $$ on the job, took me 6 months to get it done, mostly waiting on the guy to bring parts

the guy had a cooler on the p/s pump, and all the cooling fins were bent to sh* t so i straighten them up by hand, and got all the oil off of it, and sand blasted it and painted it gloss black, the guy was having a hard time finding a new one, so i rebuilt the old one
i did steel braided lines from the trans to the trans cooler,
i built a tube trans cross member, guy went from a 2 speed trans to a 3 speed automatic, and that meant the driveshaft was to long
ended up doing the steering gearbox to the rest of the steering parts, and re-wiring the engine and put a efan kit on it and wiring for that

I fixed a few rust spots on the firewall, and bed lined the firewall, inner fenders on the two sides, everything was cleaned under the hood
that ford truck paid for a 2 week vacation to Hawaii

but all the sand blasting I did, I ended up killing that 30 gallon air compressor, and then I helped my neighbors flip cars and got the money for my 60 gallon air compressor

the guy roped me in, the job started out as a simple motor swap, and the motor looked to nice with all the other dirty parts, and then the trans swap, and cleaning everything,

i planned on motor swap the truck in a weekend, pull it friday night and have the new motor in saturday and having it running sunday and gone sunday night

D16z6 Automatic, 4 wheel disc brakes, deseamed shell

joakwin

haro fst frame by joa kwin, on Flickr

proto type haro fst frame from 1984,
before it had the haro chevrons and serial number on the frame

the frame and forks where white

but i sanded it down, had some surf rusts on it, i took on this side project on because my oldest son needed a new bmx to ride,
and i want my kids to ride awesome bmx bikes,
my son wanted the bike to be all black

the bikes frame/forks is haro, but everything else on the bike is gt,

the handle bars, neck, crank, sprocket, wheels, seat post are all gt

building this bike for my son has got me pumped up again to wait to work on the mini

my si joint on the left side has been acting up, so i haven't wanted to do anything much lately,
and this weekend we got a ton of rain, so my lower back and hips have not been happy.

MiniDave

Not to mention, it's probably pretty hot there by now!

Do you have A/C in your garage? I put a big ass window unit in mine, makes a hell of a difference!
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

joakwin

Quote from: MiniDave on June 17, 2018, 07:48:46 AM
Not to mention, it's probably pretty hot there by now!

Do you have A/C in your garage? I put a big ass window unit in mine, makes a hell of a difference!

I have a huge portacool unit, it cools my garage down by 10 degs, it holds 42 gallons of water in it, and pushed something around 3900 cfm

a/c unit would be nice, but with the garage door open, not sure how well it would work

and its been around 107 the last few weeks, super hot

joakwin

I learned that if I open up my garage door maybe 2 feet, and leave about a 2 foot gap between the garage door and the portacool, it will cool my garage down even more,

I had my garage down to a cool 80 deg today

so I put in some work

the lower part of the valance is 16ga sheet metal, and the flares are fiberglass, the sheet metal goes almost all the way to the end of the flare, maybe 2 inches short of the end of the flare, I did a lot of fiberglass mat to bridge the gap and make it somewhat smooth,
so far its just fiberglass matt that's been sanded down to smooth it out, I haven't used any filler yet
some spots at the bottom are hard to get at with my electric sanders, so I need to sand it by hand somemore, but so far its coming out pretty good

right front corner by joa kwin, on Flickr

joakwin

MiniDave

Wow, that is the Jay Leno of spoilers!   ;D ;D ;D ;D

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

joakwin

It looks huge but it think the bumper breaks it up, I almost want to cut out some of eg center lower section and build a bigger grill

joakwin

today was a 2 step backwards type of day

I have a new trans cooler in the mail coming from amazon
so I made a cut out for the trans cooler, I think that went pretty good

and then I was like, oh I should add more holes for air flow to the radiator
and now I need to order a new radiator

trans cooler hole by joa kwin, on Flickr

joakwin

air vent by joa kwin, on Flickr

like a tool, lol

at this point I can only make fun of my self for doing this

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HXWD8MO/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

I have to wait a few days to order this radiator

and this is the trans cooler I have coming in the mail

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000C39C7M/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

I would order the radiator right now but I had to order new motor mounts for my honda element, the trans mount ripped last week
so I ordered new mounts for that, fedex 2 day air so that I can get them before this weekend, plan to change them out this weekend

and one of my e-fans isn't spinning as fast as the other one, so I ordered new e-fans for the element as well

joakwin

My new trans cooler will be here this afternoon, I changed my trans mount on my element and that thing was torn all the way, the rubber part around the bolt hole wasn't even close to being connected to the rest of the mount housing

Today the classic nes comes back out, $60 for it, I'm going to try and pick one up this morning

MiniDave

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

joakwin

trans mount by joa kwin, on Flickr

k24 automatic trans mount

nes by joa kwin, on Flickr

picked up the nes this morning at target

joakwin

worked on the trans cooler tonight

made a sheet metal mount, I still have to get some bolts for it, just used whatever I could find for temp mounting

trans cooler 4 by joa kwin, on Flickr

trans cooler mount by joa kwin, on Flickr

never mind the spot putty, I put it on pretty heavy and then sand 99% of it off

joakwin

trans mount 5 by joa kwin, on Flickr

I hand bent this mount

I need to buy a sheet metal bender tool, would make things a lot faster

MiniDave

I could use one of those as well as a small metal lathe, but there's just no room in my little shop. I've had decent results bending metal over a piece of angle iron clamped in a vise, but a bender would be so much faster as you said.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

A harbor freight metal brake are small and easy to keep out of the way.  I use mine all the time

joakwin

Quote from: 94touring on July 01, 2018, 07:22:28 AM
A harbor freight metal brake are small and easy to keep out of the way.  I use mine all the time

what bender do you have?

i have been looking at a small one from them but wasn't sure if it was any good

this is the one i want
https://www.harborfreight.com/36-in-metal-brake-with-stand-62335.html

going on vacation to San Diego for 6 days, so my tool buying money is nothing right now,
wife would kill me if i went and spent a few hundred bucks on some tools right before going on vacation
plus i wont be able to use it while gone

but this bender doesnt seem bad for small sheet metal bending
https://www.harborfreight.com/18-inch-bending-brake-39103.html

but the idea of making my own bender has crossed my mind

buying the steel and welding it up and whatnot
i dont think it would be hard to build my own

and then i can make it out of some heavy duty metal

94touring

I have the 30 inch table top one.  Does good on sheet down to about 16 gauge then gets difficult.

joakwin

Untitled by joa kwin, on Flickr

joakwin

Untitled by joa kwin, on Flickr

made the trim panel out of some 16 ga sheet metal, I made a few mistakes when cutting out the center section, and just had to weld those messed up sections up

MiniDave

That's what I like about working with sheet metal.....make a mistake? A little weld, a little grind, just like new again!  ;D

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

joakwin

Got some new wheels for the mini, I

Going to change the color of them before I mount the new tires

Should have the paint work done this week on the new rims