hello new to site, vtec automatic swap

Started by joakwin, November 25, 2017, 12:26:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joakwin

rear disc brake by joaquinn lopez, on Flickr

rear disc brakes, the holes are alittle on the big side, as they have been set up for 7/16 studs vs the stock 3/8's

i need to order another set of wheel studs to upgrade the back

the coilover is in the way of where i want to mount the caliper, the park brake side hits the coilover,
and mounting the caliper to the front side, the shell gets in the way

so i can mount the caliper to the bottom side of the rotor and it clears everything
i just have to switch sides with the caliper to have the park brake cable stuff facing forward

D16z6 Automatic, 4 wheel disc brakes, deseamed shell

Bahowe1

Just make sure the bleeders are up and not level, or worse.  Impossible to bleed with the bleeders lower.  Common sense you have probably already though of, but just a reminder.  Looks like a great build.

joakwin

yeah i know about the bleed valves

tomorrow i plan to take the other caliper and rotor off of the del sol
and this weekend i want to start making mounting brackets

im still thinking about mounting the calipers on the underside of the rotor,
it will help to get the park brake cable set up
and i dont want to get into moving the coilovers around or cutting up the body to much
seems like alot of work to make the caliper mount on the top rear or top front side

im thinking about making the brackets out of 3/8's
maybe 5/16 thick metal

if i dont like how its working out, i can always build something else and try a different idea

joakwin

brake brackets by joaquinn lopez, on Flickr

ive been working on a design to get the rear caliper mount good, 4 different sets up made and im still a hair off

the top part that mounts to the mini is just fine, but the half that mounts to the caliper is off just a hair

i plan on making the bracket out of 3/8 steel or alloy metal,
so im trying to get a bracket set up before i cut any metal

so im making my mock up bracket out of 3/8 wood

today i picked up brake lines for the rear
i haven't ordered the adapter fittings for the front, but i plan to run the steel braided line that i had on the car before

Willie_B

I used wood or brake brackets when I was trying to decide on placement. Much easier to drill and fit.

joakwin

rear bracket by joaquinn lopez, on Flickr

i made the brake bracket but i don't like the way it came out

im going to move my bottom coilover mount forward and lift up the top coil over mount, so it doesn't lift the rear of the car up

so that i can mount the caliper at the rear top

joakwin

rear disc brake by joaquinn lopez, on Flickr

i know mounting the caliper this way was going to be a pain to bleed it

i would have had to remove the caliper and rotator it on the disc to put the bleeder at the top in order to bleed it
and then remount the caliper down below

at 1st i was willing to do all that work, and then after taking the caliper on and off a ton of times today as i made different brackets out of 3/8's wood
i knew that plan was not going to work for me

so tomorrow im going to pull the fuel tank out of the boot again and go to town cutting the inner fender up to install a pretty big tube into it and higher up into the shell as well

i have a roll cage tube inside the boot that goes side to side, so that will become the upper brace for the bigger and taller coilover towers im going to weld in this weekend

joakwin

i ordered a pair of shorter springs today, they come in Wednesday

another set of wheel studs and lug nuts come in Monday

this weekend i plan to take the coilover off and start mocking up a bracket to hold the caliper at the top back corner of the rotor

joakwin

rear brakes 2 by joaquinn lopez, on Flickr

today i moved the location of the coilover
so that i could move the location of the caliper

MiniDave

Interesting....by changing the location of the coilover on the trailing arm, you're effectively changing the moment arm too, so did you get softer or harder springs? Who's coilovers are those - which brand? Are there a variety of springs available?

I wonder why you couldn't orient the coilover in the original position - not where the shock sits but where the original spring sat - parallel to the ground so  to speak? There's plenty of length there in the back unlike the front.....
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

joakwin

Quote from: MiniDave on February 03, 2018, 08:55:38 AM
Interesting....by changing the location of the coilover on the trailing arm, you're effectively changing the moment arm too, so did you get softer or harder springs? Who's coilovers are those - which brand? Are there a variety of springs available?

I wonder why you couldn't orient the coilover in the original position - not where the shock sits but where the original spring sat - parallel to the ground so  to speak? There's plenty of length there in the back unlike the front.....

they are carrea shocks, but qa1 took over carrea, the replacement shocks are now the 75 series, the coil springs are chrome qa1's

i had 200lb springs on it behind the axle, but i also have a set of 175lb springs laying around in my garage

but i think I'm going to have to drop down to springs around 120lbs, the bottom of the coilover is mounted at the 2/3 point of the arm length,

it should be 2/3's of a inch at the shock should equal 1inch at the wheel

the spring size is 1-7/8's, i can get springs anywhere from 50lbs to 350lbs plus, i know of this site where i can get springs for $40 each

the reason for moving the coilover was to make room for the caliper, its kind of deep because of the cable park brake function thats on the back side

their was nothing wrong with my drum brake set up, i had new mini sport drum plate assy, and mini fin drums
i going to install that drum brake set up on the black lhd mini

to mount the coilovers parallel to the ground, i would have had to make some kind of cantilever system for them, which would mean more tube inside the shell to brace up the mounts

today i plan on making the upper mount, right now its just a 1/2 inch hole drilled into the inner fender in the boot
but my roll cage goes to the top of that inner fender and i have sand wich plates on the outside,
those sandwich plates are going to become the outter brace mount and i will make a tab that braces the mount on the inside
everything for the upper mount will somehow connect to the roll cage tube

my rear coilover mounts are built up a ton more then what people regularly do for coilover in the rear

aka tube connecting the two sides together with the sheet metal fenders, seems weak to me and metal work hardness and likes to rip
mine is probably over built, but my kids like to ride in my mini, and so it has to be extra safe, i dont mine if extra safe adds on a few more pounds

joakwin

the only type of cantilever suspension ive used before in the past was the kp 6 link on ym old 2k gmc x-cab,
its a forward facing 4link with the two link arms on the back with the dog bones, the dogbones is what lets the axle get up higher into the c notch, i had 24's on my truck and layed frame
kp 6 link by joaquinn lopez, on Flickr

ive done bags on the bars on my old 93 chevy full size single cab,
with this set up, the less air in the bag, the nicer the ride was, this set up was a 2:1 ratio set up  so im sure my springs are going to be super over kill
bags on bar by joaquinn lopez, on Flickr

the pictures are not of my work, they are random pictures i found online to show the different styles of suspension ideas i used in the past of different vehicles

joakwin

speedwaymotors had some 100lbs springs on sale for $35ea, so i ordered a pair and a few other things that i wanted for the build

joakwin

rear disc brake 3 by joaquinn lopez, on Flickr

finally getting happy with the mounting bracket

joakwin

the springs that i ordered from speedway motors came in
and some more roll cage padding
and a shifter cable boot seal

my buddy from tampa, just told me to bagged the mini already, lol
the idea has crossed my mind

joakwin

reear brake caliper pad fitment by joaquinn lopez, on Flickr
rear brake 4 by joaquinn lopez, on Flickr

mock wood brackets are done, today i went and picked up some aluminum plate to transfer the mock wood design

im going to start working on the bracket but i dont have much time to work on it till the weekend

joakwin

joakwin

Untitled by joaquinn lopez, on Flickr

one bracket is made, plan to get the 2nd one done this weekend

and i plan to paint the pair gloss black

joakwin

rear brake bracket by joaquinn lopez, on Flickr

here's my 2nd bracket, i made a few changes, i made all the edges rounder
its still in its raw form, in the next few days i will clean up all the lines, and make them flow better

i cut the brackets with basic hand cutting tools, i wish i had a plasma cutter to use, or a mill

joakwin

right rear bracket by joaquinn lopez, on Flickr

bracket number 2 with some gloss black paint on one side

joakwin

more brake brackets by joaquinn lopez, on Flickr

going to cut out another bracket

t6160 1/2inch aluminum material

with the bracket i made last night

joakwin

jeff10049

nice work been watching the thread from the start thanks for taking the time to post fun to read.

If you ever need/want send me a vectored drawing or dxf file and I can cnc plasma cut brackets for you and ship them your way. or a cardboard templet to size I can scan that and draw over the scaned image as well.

joakwin

Quote from: jeff10049 on February 20, 2018, 11:29:21 PM
nice work been watching the thread from the start thanks for taking the time to post fun to read.

If you ever need/want send me a vectored drawing or dxf file and I can cnc plasma cut brackets for you and ship them your way. or a cardboard templet to size I can scan that and draw over the scaned image as well.

thanks
i'll keep that in mind

joakwin

rear control arm by joa kwin, on Flickr

i offset my rear control arm outward 3 inches

so the current wheels i have will stick out like a 13x7 -7 et wheel but wont be hard on the wheel bearings like a -7 et wheel
and with the disc brake set up, i dont plan on putting a 3/4 spacer, kind of like the spaced drums vs non spacer drums