hello new to site, vtec automatic swap

Started by joakwin, November 25, 2017, 12:26:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joakwin

Quote from: Lone Star Mini on January 09, 2018, 05:15:12 AM
I"m late to the game on this...   welcome to the forum and I had to mention that I'm familiar with the Norwich/Mildenhall area as that is well I grew up.  In fact I was just there this past summer.  Your mini looks good with wonderful progress.  The guys are this site are definitely knowledgeable and great people.  I am certainly interested in following your thread.

thanks

if I went back to Norwich/Mildenhall area, I would come back with so much mini parts, Dsn classic is in that area
and coopers garage is in Mildenhall Village, they have so much mini parts, and the owner of that shop (Steve) he has built a few cars that have been in the mini mags over the years, when I left 3 years ago, he was building a air plane themed twin charged mini roadster

Lone star mini, ive looked over your build a few times, I haven't looked over to many projects on this site, but yours is one of the few that I have

I hope to have my car done soon, I'm trying to push myself, my wife kind of wanted me to have it done to take to a huge car show in Yuma, AZ that's the 1st weekend of March, but I don't think it will be done, it will be running and drivable but I want to repaint the car but as always, I haven't figured out what color I want to go with this time around

the current color has been on the car for a little over 4 years, going on 5 years
D16z6 Automatic, 4 wheel disc brakes, deseamed shell

MiniDave

I hear you on the color choice.....I've been trying to figure out what color to paint my project car too - I want something bright but not red, orange yellow or purple.
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

gr8kornholio

Dave, may I suggest you look at your avatar?  Or maybe a vibrant shade of teal, not girly shade, but in your face shade if that's possible.
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

MiniDave

That was one of the choices I was considering, actually......

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

joakwin

I just know that I don't want my car to look like every other classic mini

MiniDave

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Lone Star Mini

The volcano orange sure does look good in my opinion.  My first mini needs to be common or classic, but then I can see how you guys look for something bold and unique
Lone Star Mini
1982 Morris Mini 1000HL (heck of a lot of work ahead of me)
1992(?) Mini Cooper
1964 Austin Cooper
1980 Mini 95 (Pickup)

joakwin

I waited to long in the week to order parts and I didn't feel like paying extra for shipping

but I ordered 7/16 wheel studs and lug nuts to fit my minilite wheels and the 7/16 studs

10 studs and 8 lug nuts, before I waste to much money, I'm going to try it out to make sure its good

joakwin

minilite wheel by joaquinn lopez, on Flickr

13x5.5 wheels, I got them for super cheap back in the day, and then had them powder coated white
and then I found out about the price of lug nuts for this style of wheel and just put them away

but now since I'm upgrading to a 7/16 stud, lug nuts are a friction of the price

I'm going to paint the wheels black, not sure if I'm going to do satin or gloss yet

I plan to run a 165/60/13 tire on those wheels

I do need to look into caps for them but for now that can wait

joakwin

Quote from: Lone Star Mini on January 10, 2018, 11:17:44 AM
The volcano orange sure does look good in my opinion.  My first mini needs to be common or classic, but then I can see how you guys look for something bold and unique

the orange mini looks nice

the twins by joaquinn lopez, on Flickr

the lhd black mini is kind of stock......it has a 998 in it for now, stock rear suspension with minitastic fast road coil conversion kit with hi-los, and gaz drop shocks,

up front it has minitastic race coil conversion kit with hi-los and gaz drop shocks and on-car adjustable lower control arms, and longer steering end links, and the upgraded lower control arm tie rod with poly bushings and the taller poly bushing that goes under the upper control arm
and a stage 1 kit, and upgraded ign kit in the dizzy
if I remember right it has a britpart ign kit
https://www.britpart.com/all-parts/etc5835k/

I did some searching and found some land rover place with the kit for like 15 GBP
been on the car for probably 6-7 years now,
its a way lower price kit then what they sell for the minis

car looks ruff around the edges but the suspension is good on it, I would like to drop a geo metro 3 banger into it someday just because I can and that motor is like half the way of the stock A-lump and I should be able to get the car to around 1200lbs or so, should be good for a nice street daily beater

MPlayle

The 165/60/13 tires "may" be close to rubbing on the rear.

MiniDave

I have 175/50-13's on my car without rubbing.........

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

The 175/50/13 tires have a 19.889" rolling diameter.
The 165/60/13 tires have a 20.795" rolling diameter.

The distance from the center of the rear hub to the edge of the swing arm mount is about 10-3/8" to 10-1/2" (10.375 to 10.500).  That is the limiting distance.  1/2 the rolling diameter has to be slightly less than the hub-to-mount distance.  That puts the 165 tires very close at 10.3975" (either just rubbing or barely clearing).

MiniDave

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Quote from: gr8kornholio on January 09, 2018, 08:40:53 PM
Dave, may I suggest you look at your avatar?  Or maybe a vibrant shade of teal, not girly shade, but in your face shade if that's possible.

Have you seen that there is currently a Corvair at auction on BaT in a color like that?  Really looks nice.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

joakwin

Quote from: MPlayle on January 10, 2018, 06:56:39 PM
The 175/50/13 tires have a 19.889" rolling diameter.
The 165/60/13 tires have a 20.795" rolling diameter.

The distance from the center of the rear hub to the edge of the swing arm mount is about 10-3/8" to 10-1/2" (10.375 to 10.500).  That is the limiting distance.  1/2 the rolling diameter has to be slightly less than the hub-to-mount distance.  That puts the 165 tires very close at 10.3975" (either just rubbing or barely clearing).

with a stock rear subframe?

the mini tec rear beam, where the arms mount to the beam itself, they don't stick out like the stock arms do on a stock subframe
and the arms are offset

they are basically tucked inside the beam

beam is pictured upside down

rear mini suspension 2 by joaquinn lopez, on Flickr

rear suspension by joaquinn lopez, on Flickr

rear mini suspension by joaquinn lopez, on Flickr

joakwin

grp door by joaquinn lopez, on Flickr

one of the early pic of my build

arc angels heavy grp doors

joakwin

abs clubbly clip by joaquinn lopez, on Flickr

when I 1st started to fit my absmotorsports fiberglass clubby clip.... I remember the driver didn't have the correct paperwork to get into my neighborhood, so they had to drop the package off at the gate

I had this monster box on the roof of my Nissan micra to get it home, the box was almost as big as my car
I called that car the "red rocket"
twin cam 1 liter/5speed, got 45mpg on the highway, was a fun car to drive around the city but didn't have much top end power
It had a cg10de motor

someday I plan to import a micra to the states, 1st year made in the K11 body style was 1992

the red rocket by joaquinn lopez, on Flickr

MPlayle

Yes, on a stock Mini rear subframe.

Seeing those pictures of the MiniTec rear frame makes several things I had wondered about become clear.  One of which was how they got the rear wheels so far out to match their front frames.

Their frame does allow for more clearance.  It still has a similar limiting factor, but significantly greater than the factory subframe.

joakwin

I got 10 of my 7/16 studs in the mail today

good for the weekend to set up the front hubs

lug nuts should be here by Tuesday

by the end of the month I should be able to order the tires I want to use

and I need to start looking at building rear brake lines

joakwin

MiniDave

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

joakwin

gives me options and I want to go with open end lug nuts

joakwin

been working on small things for the project

the tie bar mounts for the lower control arms are done
and I'm half way done with making a bar to connect the two sides of the coil over towers together
im using 1/2 inch adjustable joints for the bar ends, ive had some 1/2 joints laying around for almost 10 years,
so im finally putting them into action,
the tabs im making are out of 3/16 plate,

i have to go buy the tube for this job, and two 3/16 tabs that i can drill out to 1/2 inch and cut up

the car is almost ready to go back onto its wheels

next week i plan on starting to build the brake lines

oh and i fixed the cold surge at idle,
theirs a valve under the throttle body, i had to take it apart and adjust it
and now the car idle fine when its cold

joakwin

coilover bar by joaquinn lopez, on Flickr

i finished building my coil-over tower support bar, the two sides are linked together

the bar is made out of 3/4 120 wall dom tube and the tabs are made out of 3/16
and the joints are 1/2inch