Oil Pressure Relief Valves

Started by MiniDave, November 24, 2017, 06:06:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiniDave

I bought 2 of the ball type and one of the plunger type.....all from MiniSpares.

I've tried both of the ball type in 2 different engines, in both it pegs the oil gauge over 100 psi

I then used the plunger style in the first engine and the pressure is right where it should be.

I know that they use different springs so I tried both in the first engine, using the plunger spring did drop the pressure to 80 psi with a ball, but the correct pressure should be 60-70.

Has anyone had success using the ball style, and if so what spring did you use? I've considered cutting one of the springs down one ring at a time to see what results I could get but haven't gone that route yet.

I guess my next move might be to get one of the adjustable style.....

Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

LarryLebel

Put  extra washers under the plug rather shortening the spring.

MiniDave

No I have the opposite problem - too much pressure!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Willie_B

I have had to remove my plunger type that was stuck twice now. With a ball in there it would be hard to remove if stuck as there is nothing to grab.

MPlayle

An extra crush washer under the outside nut has the similar effect as shortening the spring.  The post of the cap/nut is farther back, so less tension on the spring - allowing the plunger to move a little easier for less pressure.

jeff10049

Quote from: Willie_B on November 24, 2017, 06:36:45 PM
I have had to remove my plunger type that was stuck twice now. With a ball in there it would be hard to remove if stuck as there is nothing to grab.
I think that's the idea of the ball it's not supposed to stick but if it did yes it would be hard to remove.

jeff10049

I have also loosened the plug while running it will leak but not too much to adjust the pressure to where I want it then measured the gap with feeler gauges to see how many washers to add. Just don't unscrew it too far.

MiniDave

My apologies, Larry....I misunderstood what you were telling me.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

John Gervais

An alternative to adding washers under the nut would be to install an adjustable type.

Oil Pressure Regulator Kits

Red, Blue or Chrome?

"This kit includes a new oil galery plug with an adjustable knob and a washer which is used as a spring seat in the plug against the relief spring. This makes a playform for the adjuster bolt to adjust the engine oil pressure. Winding the knob in increases pressure, winding it out reduces the pressure.

The standard spring 6K853 is easier to use as its compressed length is shorter and softer for fitment. If you have to much oil pressure, or difficulty in fitting, one coil of the spring ca be cut off at a time. Remember that excessive oil pressure can raise oil temperature and absorbs valuable horsepower.

This kit can only adjust the total amount of oil pressure. That figure should be 50-60 psi at anything over 3000 RPM, any more pressure than that is just heating up the oil and wasting power. You cannot affect the idle speed oil pressure with this kit; whatever pressure you have at idle is governed by internal engine clearances, oil temperature, grade and quality."
- Pave the Bay -

MiniDave

Yes, I mentioned that in my first post....since I have some extra springs I think I'm going to play with one of those and see what happens. If I can't make that work right the adjustable is next.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

John Gervais

Ah, I thought you'd bought these:

AEA536KIT

6K853KIT
- Pave the Bay -

MiniDave

I did, the ball style with the spring as supplied pegs the oil pressure gauge at 100+ at idle (I suppose that's good news about how much pressure it's capable of making) - the plunger style gives exactly the right pressure.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

John Gervais

I've heard that many who use the balls re-use their old springs.
- Pave the Bay -

MiniDave

Right, the pressure was lower with the spring for the plunger, but still too high.......

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

John Gervais

Check out the last paragraph before the listed part numbers:

http://www.calverst.com/technical-info/lubrication-oil-pumps/

And if you scroll down to the section regarding oil pressure relief valve on this site (http://home.earthlink.net/~roygmisc1/convert1/convert1.html), there's an image which shows the plunger/ball seat  - some have modified the shank of the standard plunger with a shallow groove which when modified, resembles the plunger's seat.  this, I'm told, helps eliminate any chance of the valve sticking by allowing incidental debris to flow past rather than jam the valve plunger.
- Pave the Bay -

jeff10049

I've made my own adjustable ones by drilling and tapping a plug and putting a bolt through with a jamb nut then weld a washer to the inside for the spring to sit on only takes 20 minutes if you have the stuff laying around. remember to put a sealing washer under your jamb nut and use a little liquid Teflon on the threads.