eBay Seats?

Started by flipstah, November 17, 2017, 10:43:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

flipstah

Has anyone bought or experienced eBay classic seats? Not sure where else I can get a set of bucket fronts other than here, and they look good,

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/2X-Classic-Bucket-Single-Seat-With-Sliders-Black-Polyurethane-Faux-Leather/371908429185

MiniDave

I've seen a number of different seats on Ebay that look really good, but I don't know if my fat butt will fit in them without being able to try them on, and I wonder whether they'd be comfortable for more than a few minutes - or not.

I look for seats from current cars like a Fiesta or even a Chevy Sonic or bottom line Hyundai or Kia - they should be small enough and made well enough to be comfortable, plus I can try them on in a dealership to see if I fit. I mostly look on Craigslist, and they do pop up from time to time.....

My top choice would be a set of leather VW Golf Recarros, they're out there but hard to find. Oh so comfy tho.....
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

Get the full set of measurements before ordering to ensure they will actually fit.

As Dave says, they need to be small enough to fit in the Mini.  I seem to recall that they cannot be wider than 21" to fit in a normal Mini and 19" for a Moke.

I know Mazda Miata/MX5 seats will work (they have to be swapped sides for in a Moke - handles to the inside).

MiniDave

Miata seats are a great choice - if you can find a set in good condition they are very comfortable.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

LilDrunkenSmurf

Of note, I have Evo 8 recaros in mine.

John Gervais

Of note, I've got Sparco R100 seats in mine.
- Pave the Bay -

gasmini

My seats came out of a 98 Honda Prelude and they are a lot more comfortable than the Mini seats.

BruceK

I've got later Mini seats (mid-1990s) in my car and they are plenty comfortable.  The downside is I've got to remove the headrest just to lift up the seat allow access to the rear seat.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

gr8kornholio

How about some pics of all these seats in your minis?  Also maybe a little about what it took to get them in there too.  Much appreciated. 
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

MPlayle

I checked my archives and I don't have any pictures of the Miata seats in a Moke.  I remember another member of the Mini Mania forum had them in his Moke and I had discussed with him the installation as I was considering some for my first Moke.  I don't recall his screen name on MM, but I don't think he is on there anymore.

John Gervais

I haven't any decent pictures of my seats, but I can tell you, it was a bit of an ordeal getting them fitted.  The seatback 'wings' are very close to each other as well as close to the shoulder belt screw.  I used the Sparco universal seat base and sliders, so at least that went pretty well.  The 'inner' bracket of the seat bases is actually slightly up on the edge of the center tunnel.

So, t'was a bit of a tight fit, and I can't (really) access the rear seat. 

Edit:  They are comfy though - firm sports recliners, but find a dealer and sit in 'em first - they're not like grandpa's Chesterfield...
- Pave the Bay -

LilDrunkenSmurf

Seats in! by Jory Irving, on Flickr

I had a friend with a welder help me make some custom brackets from scratch.

gasmini

Here are the links to my seats out of a 98 Honda Prelude.
http://www.restorationmini.com/forum/index.php?action=media;sa=media;in=916;preview

http://www.restorationmini.com/forum/index.php?action=media;sa=media;in=917;preview
I used a one inch square tubing and probably made another bracket so I could still tilt the seat forward to get the spare tire out. It has been awhile since I put them in.

MPlayle

gasmini,

The pictures are not in a public album - they don't show up.  The links you posted are the address bar from where you were viewing them, not a direct link for viewing.

MiniDave

Michael, both opened for me OK from his post......

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

I get a "denied access" message when I click the links.  It may be browser settings I am using.  I use the "private browsing" mode in Firefox.