Genuine OEM Lockheed (Delphi) wheel cylinders and Mintex shoes?

Started by John Gervais, November 16, 2017, 05:06:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BruceK

Seems so simple and logical.  I kinda wonder why we haven't heard of this before now?

I guess the parts suppliers couldn't sell the special tool...
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

John Gervais

- Pave the Bay -

jeff10049

you can also just clamp your circlip in a vise and put a little bend in it or do nothing and it'll be fine too. Most of the time the method people use get the e clip style on there is not much spring left in it in that direction anyway.
At least that's what I have experienced. 
The wave washers would be correct though my car had them and I did use them.

John Gervais

Since I can't order the wavy washers from Grangers (an international-shipping restricted item, apparently), my brother is sending some to me. 

The local MG shop has been using just the circlip for decades, both on their road and race cars without problem, but I'd feel better knowing that there's a little less free-play there. 
- Pave the Bay -

John Gervais

I was rummaging through the MG center's library and thought this was funny - check the 'note'.

Currently researching belleville washer specs - but I believe McMaster-Carr has what is close to the OEM spec - if I can find the OEM dimensions, it'd be really swell.
- Pave the Bay -

MiniDave

Does the book show a pic of the circlip installation too? I wonder if it's the same as what MiniSpares sell today? Bruce and I both have the too; and find it to be less than successful to use most f the time.

I have to believe if they only made the cone shaped part out of hardened steel instead of butter it would work a treat.......
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

John Gervais

My MiniSpares circlip tool is also quite scarred, even though it was well greased.

I'm thinking about giving these folks a call to hear if it's as pictured and if it works.

https://www.northwestimportparts.com/MGB-Rear-wheel-cylinder-circlip-install-tool-62-80-d2482.aspx

This is like the one that the MG shop has (17H7949T) and while it has fewer scars than mine, he hasn't used it in years.

http://www.lbcarco.com/ also lists the 17H7949T, but you need to use the 'search' button and there isn't a picture.

Edited again - I just looked at one of the old mini service manuals and it references a circlip and dished washer - I lack a microfiche or comprehensive parts list - the only 'mini' diagram I've got which shows a washer behind the clip uses a current part number 'E-clip' (17H7949) and a washer which is currently unknown to me (17H8901).
- Pave the Bay -