Felt pad source?

Started by John Gervais, November 11, 2017, 04:43:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Gervais

Would anyone know where to find the small round felt pads fitted under the distributor rotor?

Thanks -
- Pave the Bay -

MiniDave

A bit of cotton ball stuck in there will work too.
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

John Gervais

That's what I have now, but I prefer the wool felt.  Maybe because winter's coming fast -
- Pave the Bay -

MPlayle

Local sewing shop?  By a small scrap of thick wool felt and cut your own?

John Gervais

I'd like to cut my own if I could find some THICK felt, but nobody around here has anything.  It's all the ultra-thin kindergarten stuff.
- Pave the Bay -

MiniDave

Maybe a hobby or craft store?
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Quote from: MPlayle on November 11, 2017, 05:29:52 PM

This made think of a hat shop - many hats are made of thick felt and there may be some scraps available?
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

John Gervais

Only ultra-thin kindergarten stuff and the carpet stores only have foams and synthetics. 

I was only wondering if anyone had a contact or source, I could use a few pieces or a suitable 6 or so inch square of 8mm (+/-) thick where I could cut my own.  A larger square of small roll would be cool to have - one never knows what one could make from it.
- Pave the Bay -

John Gervais

Quote from: BruceK on November 11, 2017, 06:29:22 PM

This made think of a hat shop - many hats are made of thick felt and there may be some scraps available?

Would you have a link to a thick wool-felt hat?  I've certainly never seen one over here -
- Pave the Bay -

John Gervais

Aha!  Found some!  Thanks for the ideas - at an orthopedic supply place!
- Pave the Bay -

MPlayle

BruceK

Quote from: John Gervais on November 11, 2017, 06:32:17 PM
Quote from: BruceK on November 11, 2017, 06:29:22 PM

Would you have a link to a thick wool-felt hat?  I've certainly never seen one over here -

No, I think you are going to have to tackle a hipster and steal his hat.  I recommend this guy!

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

John Gervais

I did consider furniture foot pads, but would have preferred something closest to the original spec.

I'm going to call these guys on Monday - found them through the orthopedic links:

http://www.anglotechnicaltextiles.co.uk/cut-parts/washers/

Maybe they've got some scrap 'holes' from setting up for an industrial-sized order or a small scrap sample.

Regarding the hat - ... I don't get out much.
- Pave the Bay -

94touring

I feel like I should ban all of you immediately.

tsumini

The best place to get felt is a piano supply such as http://schaffpiano.com/products.html][url]http://schaffpiano.com/products.html[/url]. Probably easier since you may not know exactly what felt to order is to ask a piano technician who has a piano shop. A piano tuner may or may not have what you need. There are tons of different felts: density thickness etc. I could send you something if i had an idea of size.

John Gervais

Interesting thought  - 

I spoke with Aldon a few days ago, as they've just finished re-curving a new dizzy for me. 

When I asked about getting an extra felt or two for under the rotor, their dyno guy Mathew asked if I tried trimming the corners off of an old rectangular felt as used on the points cam.  Like he does...

:-[
- Pave the Bay -

94touring

I assumed it was something from a craft store someone cut with scissors.

John Gervais

I've only seen die-cut pads, but do own a pair of scissors.   77.gif
- Pave the Bay -