Author Topic: Speedway Motors Universal Wiring Harness  (Read 102 times)

Offline SoCalMiniFan

Speedway Motors Universal Wiring Harness
« on: November 10, 2017, 07:56:18 PM »
I've been chasing electrical gremlins in Miss Mini for some time now.  I gave up on her high-beams and just made sure I was home before dark.  I am now aware though that the brake lights don't work along with some other things. 

My current non-functioning electronics include:
- No High Beams (they used to at least work if I flashed them but now nada)
- No Horn
- No Interior light
- No Brake lights

I recently hooked up a Tachometer and then things when really haywire, unplugged it and things went back to only 1/2 haywire!

My assumption is my fuse block is old and corroded and I have a bad ground somewhere but I've taken this as my opportunity to do do a full electrical overhaul.

I reached out to the MOASF crew and they were plenty helpful and after some suggestions I decided to go with a Speedway Motors 12-Circuit Universal wiring harness. 

This will allow me to get things fully running along with the addition of:

- 3rd brake light.  Reached out and got a Hella 39 from Daniel Stern Lighting (who by the way is SUPER helpful)
- Converting my turn signals into switchable Hazards.
- Upgraded to Cibie Headlights.
- A radio!  Picked out a simple 4 speaker, in-dash head unit that's Bluetooth capable.

My horn will now be with a relay so that will help it not sound like a dying frog and more like the air-horn that it is.

The wiring kit came yesterday and I pulled it all out and went through it.  I'm really impressed with it and think with a little pre-planning and patience I'll be able to get it all into my car in a timely fashion.  All the wiring is good quality and of appropriate thickness.  The directions seem pretty straight forward.  This harness is based off a GM model but it can be adapted for really any car. 

I went this route because my car is not original and the current wiring has been hacked into, it's ugly and really a 2-fuse system isn't going to work for me with what I hope to get out of this project.  Also the $149.00 price-tag for the harness was pretty enticing.

Here are some photos of the kit.
"If it's not fun, why do it?"

Offline tmsmini

Re: Speedway Motors Universal Wiring Harness
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2017, 08:20:11 PM »
Just be sure to document everything. If the wires are not pre-labeled, I have a labeller you can borrow.
It has helped me out to have the individual wires labelled as my cars have some intentional modifications. We started with standard harnesses though.
Terry
PS: As John mentioned below if you use the bullets,I have the crimper as well.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 08:45:12 PM by tmsmini »

Offline John Gervais

• A Really Swell Guy
  • 1380cc
    • Copenhagen, Denmark
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2017, 08:25:00 PM »
Nice!  It's nice to have relays and extra fuses.

The Hella lamp is great - got mine at Daniel Stern as well, but mounted mine tight against the glass on a pair of 'feet' screwed through the rear shelf so that I can later remove the rear window without disturbing the lamp.  I gave my Cibie headlight trims to Dimitri in Greece many years ago, and threw away the headlights when I upgraded to Wipac Quadoptics.  The Bluetooth is a definite must-have - what stereo did you get?  (My Bluetooth-unit is from Alpine, the front speakers are 3" Polk, the rear 6 x9 are Clarion.)

Now you'll just need time, 'miles' of shrink wrap tubing, millions of connectors - both blade connectors and bullet connectors (I prefer non-insulated terminals and use both male/female silicone insulating boots as well as hard plastic housings for certain connectors), good quality crimping tools for blades and bullets, some sort of sleeving solution (I use PVC sleeves, high-temp 'fiber' sleeves as well as the spiral easy-fit type - depending upon where the wires will run), and some silicone grease.

I can highly recommend Vehicle Wiring Products (http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu/), but I'm sure someone in the U.S. has some of the ancillary items.
- Pave the Bay -

Offline BruceK

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2017, 08:29:49 PM »
Six times more fuses!   ;D  The kit looks very nice.  And the price is incredible.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
2007 Triumph Bonneville

Offline jeff10049

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2017, 01:26:11 PM »
That harness looks nice, another brand that's affordable I like to use is kwik wire. They print every few inches on every wire what it is. Can't tell if speedway dose or not.

Getting a new electrical harness in is so nice everything will just work. That and cutting out undoing all the past BS is a great feeling too.

Offline BruceK

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2017, 03:14:28 PM »
I think Id enjoy the therapeutic aspect of soldering and shrinkwrapping every connector just to know it was done right.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
2007 Triumph Bonneville

Offline SoCalMiniFan

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2017, 10:31:50 PM »
Just be sure to document everything. If the wires are not pre-labeled

Every 6" on every wire and the fuse block is fully labeled too! 

Nice!  It's nice to have relays and extra fuses.

The Hella lamp is great - got mine at Daniel Stern as well.

I saw your write up on your install which is what led me to the light!  I'll probably fabricate some feet for the same reason you did. 

For my stereo I got Pioneer 4x10's to be installed under the backseat kick panel and  Pioneer 4" for my dash,  the deck is an Alpine.  Should be nice and clean and sound decently. 

I think Id enjoy the therapeutic aspect of soldering and shrinkwrapping every connector just to know it was done right.

I learned early on that soldering is quite therapeutic for me so long as I have a good soldering iron! At a previous job I had to do a lot of wiring and lighting of small architectural models and we shared soldering irons amongst the design team.  We had two amazing set-ups and two really crappy set-ups.  Your day would be filled with frustration all day if you got stuck with one of the crappy set-ups.  I ended up buying myself a nice soldering iron and it really makes a huge difference.

I'm hoping to get this project started this week.  I'll post photos and notes as I go.  This project will also include making my dashboard and the rear speaker board so some fun little things along the way.

"If it's not fun, why do it?"