Upholstery ?

Started by Lone Star Mini, November 03, 2017, 09:39:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lone Star Mini

Experienced Mini folk,
A multi-level question involving upholstery.

I have decided to keep the original seats in my mini resto, yet have them re-upholstered.  In doing so and while I love the thought of leather, I know leather can go bad much quicker than a marine vinyl.  While I believe I would take care of the leather, I also know that projects and life gets in the way of best intentions.  Therefore, I am seriously looking at Marine leather.  Any suggestions to what people have done successfully and lasted the test of time with all inclimate weather.  I'm in Texas and we are likely to see two seasons all in one day from freezing to mid 80's.  Along with the surface material, are the foam kits from MiniSpares solid/comfortable/worthy?   Just looking for a bit of advice from the wealth of experience out there.  I guess while I'm asking, are they any suggested vendors you like? I have a couple Marine vinyl vendors picked out.. one of which is on ebay which good reviews/ratings. 

Many Thanks in advance!!
Lone Star Mini
1982 Morris Mini 1000HL (heck of a lot of work ahead of me)
1992(?) Mini Cooper
1964 Austin Cooper
1980 Mini 95 (Pickup)

94touring

I use a guy in the UK that sends me vinyl covers, color of my choice, and I install them myself.  Mine are good as new 3 years later.

MiniDave

Good quality material of course makes a difference.....but they're only as good as the guy who sews them up, that's probably why Dan's look good three years later.

I would buy the foam inserts like MiniSpares and Newton commercial sell, as much for convenience as anything else.
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Lone Star Mini

You guys are awesome..  I'm not quite sure which route I will be going mainly because I have no idea how much my local guy will charge me.  I do know that he is VERY good because I've seen his work on the aircraft that I deal with daily.  I cannot afford a VVIP price tag which may determine whether I can use him or not.  I'm at least glad I'm on the right track with Marine vinyl and the padding from Minispares is recommendable, thank you.
Lone Star Mini
1992(?) Mini Cooper
1964 Austin Cooper
1980 Mini 95 (Pickup)

jeff10049

Local guy did my seats in fabric and vinyl I supplied the fabric but that would not change the cost much. The only thing I did was sandblast paint and put new webbing on the seat frames for the front and gave him the old back seat. He made the foam and covers and installed everything onto the frames for around $1,500.
I thought that was good the foams and covers from newton commercial plus install would be about the same.

If you by premade vinyl get the ones Dan uses I have used them they are great for the price.

Lone Star Mini

Your interior looks great Jeff and very similar to what I'm after (light colors - white) which I know may be hard to keep clean.  In the realistic world, how hard is it to keep your interior clean (door cards, seats, etc..)?   I sent a text to my potential upholsterer asking what his rates were.  This will help me decide which direction to go.  I too have the same idea of refinishing the seat frame/base, etc and I have foam from MiniSpares in my basket.  I'm just waiting on Simon to tell me how to place my order with the TMF discount.
Lone Star Mini
1992(?) Mini Cooper
1964 Austin Cooper
1980 Mini 95 (Pickup)

jedduh01

Quote from: Lone Star Mini on November 05, 2017, 08:55:35 PM
I'm just waiting on Simon to tell me how to place my order with the TMF discount.

Place your order =  Send a note to Simon advisng  your TMF membership ID = and advise  TMF Membership to link to your Purchase together.

From there on out,  Ive always had it automatically Applied after payment after shipping... it just shows up on invoice... you wont see it before hand... Once they link up your TMF Membership to your Minipsares Buyers Info = it pretty much is set and done.   Even if i missed one year of a TMF Membership contribution!

Lone Star Mini

My potential upholsterer gave me a quote of $300 per seat ($900 for front and rear).  Does that sound reasonable to you who have been this route? 
Lone Star Mini
1992(?) Mini Cooper
1964 Austin Cooper
1980 Mini 95 (Pickup)

Willie_B

I paid $1100 for all my seats to be redone with cloth several years ago.

MiniDave

The quote seems reasonable, depending on materials used.

Willie B, did that include materials?

My local guy quoted me $350 each to recover some Miata seats in vinyl, no new foam.

Edited:  for early morning math stupidity.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

Dave,

At $300 per seat, a quote of $900 total would be 3 seats (2 front + 1 rear = 3 seats)?

Are you sure you aren't a programmer and prone to the "off by 1" error?

MiniDave

Ha! Must be the exhaust fumes from running my engine test stand this morning!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Lone Star Mini

The price sounds reasonable then. The front seats also have headrests.  I guess I'll go down this path.  I may seek his guidance on recovering door card as I think I would like to do this personally.   I appreciate everyone's input

@ willie.   We'll be in your area the week of Dec 25. My girls have already asked to go to Stone Mtn. Would love to meet you in person if in town
Lone Star Mini
1992(?) Mini Cooper
1964 Austin Cooper
1980 Mini 95 (Pickup)

Willie_B

The 1100 included the material but not new foam.

Lone Star Mini, I am about 10 minutes from Stone Mountain and it would be great to meet you also.

jeff10049

My seat vinyl and door cards are light grey sets with black and white houndstooth inserts. it does get dirty easy and i dont drive it a lot but it cleans up quick and easy.  door cards have not been a problem just the gray vinyl of the seats. for a daily driver, it might be a little annoying but not terrible.

Lone Star Mini

Got my order in today for seat padding (along with radiator hoses) with Mini Spares. It appears that with the TMF 7.5% discount and not having to pay the VAT taxes, we come out slightly ahead of having to pay shipping rates
Lone Star Mini
1992(?) Mini Cooper
1964 Austin Cooper
1980 Mini 95 (Pickup)

gr8kornholio

Question?  What is the TMF discout?  I saw some discussion about it in another thread also.
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

Lone Star Mini

TMF (The Mini Forum)  - www.theminiforum.co.uk has a deal where you pay $5 for the TMF plus membership and you receive s 7.5% discount on all Mini Spares purchases. 
Lone Star Mini
1992(?) Mini Cooper
1964 Austin Cooper
1980 Mini 95 (Pickup)

gr8kornholio

Well dang  11.gif 50.gif :-[ thanks though it'll save in the future for sure.
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

BruceK

Quote from: gr8kornholio on November 08, 2017, 11:08:03 AM
Well dang  11.gif 50.gif :-[ thanks though it'll save in the future for sure.

I didn't know that either.   

Hmmm... wonder if they'd consider a Restoration Mini discount?
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

94touring

I signed up for that a long time ago but Simon or whoever was on vacation and I could never get a reply from him. I lost interest and let my membership expire.