help me choose a new radiator

Started by ADRay, October 21, 2017, 05:27:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ADRay

I need to replace the radiator for my 998cc motor, but the situation is a little unusual. The head is a ported and polished unit that was installed 3 years ago. it is unusual in that it doesn't have a port for the temp sensor. There seem to be a lot of choices as far as material or number of cores, and I want to make sure I choose the right one.

I want to do three things:

1: Replace radiator and all hoses
2: somehow reinstall the temp sending unit (drain plug port on radiator?)
3: possibly remove the heater

Thanks
1982 Mini 1000 HL
@andyray998

94touring

Tap and die the head for the sensor in the stock location.  Buy chinese aluminum radiator off eBay.  Why do you want to remove your heater?

MPlayle

Is there a plug in the hole for the standard location in the head is is it not drilled?

The replacement 998 head I recently got has a plug that can be removed in order to install the temperature sensor.

MiniDave

Would this work?

Otherwise, it's fairly easy to drill and tap the head for the sensor, it's usually a pipe thread, and you can buy pipe taps at any hardware store....just get the right one. If you use this housing you need the temp sensor that fits it - a 10 mm thread rather than pipe thread.

http://www.minispares.com/product/Classic/Engine/Cylinder_heads/Head_components/PEQ10010.aspx?100402&ReturnUrl=/search/classic/thermostat housing.aspx|Back to search

Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

I like these radiators......not necessarily this exact one, although this one is good cause it has the petcock drain with it....and look at the price!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Aluminum-Radiator-For-67-91-AUSTIN-ROVER-MINI-COOPER-MORRIS-ALL-MODELS-MANUAL-/332251904678?hash=item4d5bc1baa6:g:A94AAOSwd4tUD-nk&vxp=mtr

This one is made slightly differently but still has a drain plug.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/50-mm-2-rows-Aluminum-Radiator-for-AUSTIN-ROVER-MINI-1275-GT-1959-1997-Manual-/121631809037?hash=item1c51d21e0d:g:8EkAAOSwPgxVOh1T&vxp=mtr

That's the rad I've put in several cars and even on long highway runs on extremely hot days it does not run hot -stays dead in the middle of the gauge. For the money I think these are a great deal.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Yeah those ebay rads are hard to beat.  I've probably installed half a dozen or more. Just make sure of the thickness.  Some are 45mm and other's 50 or 52. I think I have a 52, lots of capacity!

MiniDave

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

ADRay

thanks everyone. seems I need to look out for thick a walled unit more than anything.

I had thought of drilling and tapping the thermostat housing, much like that unit. Would that fit my head? another option is maybe on the heater outlet port if I remove the heater, but I don't think I'll have the back spacing though.

This is the corner of the head where the port should be. While drilling & tapping would probably be best, I'm not keen on taking it apart to do so at this point

1982 Mini 1000 HL
@andyray998

MPlayle

Interesting that your head does not even have the flat spot in the casting for drilling and tapping a temperature sensor hole in the normal place (below the thermostat).

I would try going with something like the thermostat housing Dave posted.

tmsmini

DSN Retrosport also have thermostat housing with temp sensor ports.
I may have one of the ones that Dave posted. (Edit: can't seem to find it)
How early is the car? The early MK I's with the radiator shroud on the inside fender can require some modification if using a non-standard radiator.
Terry

Lone Star Mini

Dave and/or all....   the ebay radiators are certainly well priced.  Most of them state they go up to a '91.  what is the difference between a '91 (earlier) and '92?  I'm not sure, but given input from another post, my daily driver may be a '92. Therefore what should I look for in a radiator (ebay wise)?  Thanks anyone.
Lone Star Mini
1982 Morris Mini 1000HL (heck of a lot of work ahead of me)
1992(?) Mini Cooper
1964 Austin Cooper
1980 Mini 95 (Pickup)

94touring

I believe the difference is the later models have a sensor built in for the aux fan and the overflow pipe may be a different angle for overflow tanks.

ADRay

ended up going with the 50mm. awaiting installation, stay tuned.
1982 Mini 1000 HL
@andyray998

MiniDave

No question, if everything else is working properly (water pump, block isn't full of sediment etc) that will do the trick!

I had to make a small notch in the fender for clearance on mine.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Lone Star Mini

Quote from: MiniDave on April 25, 2018, 01:57:12 PM
I had to make a small notch in the fender for clearance on mine.

@Dave,  any chance you can take a pic or provide an idea of location of the notch you made?  This will simply serve as an awareness when I get mine and begin to check fit it

@ADRay,  keenly interested in seeing how yours goes in
Lone Star Mini
1992(?) Mini Cooper
1964 Austin Cooper
1980 Mini 95 (Pickup)

MiniDave

Here you go.....I didn't finish it very well.   ::)  I did that after the radiator was already in place and I didn't want to take it out again.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Lone Star Mini

thanks Dave.. I'll have to go out and look to see if I can figure out where this 'notch' might be... 
Lone Star Mini
1992(?) Mini Cooper
1964 Austin Cooper
1980 Mini 95 (Pickup)

94touring

I only needed to hammer that section in a hair.

joakwin

i did a ebay, alloy rover mini radiator on my stockish 998 car, i think it was $55 or $60 for the part
no problems with over heating daily driving it in the AZ Tucson heat in the summer, i didn't even have the heater hooked up and i had the stock yellow fan
D16z6 Automatic, 4 wheel disc brakes, deseamed shell