Cleaning up my Carb

Started by Flyinace2000, October 18, 2017, 05:29:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flyinace2000

My float bowl is a weepy mess. 

https://photos.app.goo.gl/SGZ45MCLjqO7mrjm1

Looks like someone installed the bolts upside down.  Besides a gasket what else should I be looking at cleaning up?

MPlayle

It looks like someone installed those bolts in place of the original screws as the tabs the screws go into are broken/cracked.

I would be tempted to recommend a replacement float bowl entirely.

MiniDave

If you can't find a replacement float chamber, you can carefully build up some tabs in metalized epoxy, then drill and tap them....the amount of torque needed on those is only about 5-8 inch pounds.
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

LarryLebel

That's a new Mini travesty I've not seen before. If you are going to source a new float bowl I would suggest you replace the carb entirely with and HIF model. They are better than the venerable HS versions.

jedduh01

Seeing the ' weepy mess up higher than the gasket i would certainly replace the rubber hose too.  alogn with some  "fuel injection"  hose clamps

they clamp th ehose better than a 'worm" clamp

I also know i have a few identical used single Carbs around = would be good for "parts" if you would like one.   Free + pay for shipping  guessing 10 - 15 $

Flyinace2000

Some of those photos are old. I did replace the fuel lines and clamps with new. That helped a lot. I'll take you up on your offer. I was gonna buy a new bowl and lid anyway. Thanks for the help!

Flyinace2000@willsisti.net

Flyinace2000

Finally getting around to finishing this job.  Lots of salt on the road, so not doing much driving. 

Anyway, got the carb from Jedduh01 and cleaning up the float.  Next i was gonna buy a kit for all the gasket and a new jet.  My question is should i get the static or keep the waxstat.  Looks like i'll need to get a choke kit (BFS701SUL) to do the conversion as well.  Am i better off just getting the new waxstat type and modding it with 2 pennies to avoid the kit?  Cost difference is about $10.

Waxstat kit $86
https://www.7ent.com/products/carb-service-kit-hs4-1975-on-csk65.html

Standard Kit $56
https://www.7ent.com/products/carb-service-kit-hs4-single-plastic-jet-csk52.html

Conversion Kit - $18
https://www.7ent.com/products/jet-linkage-conversion-kit-bfs701sul.html

MiniDave

Everything I've read about the Waxstats says get rid of them and use standard jets.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

I think most folks would recommend converting to the static jet away from the waxstat jet.

Most of the reasoning is not the performance of the waxstat once tuned, but the tuning process is longer and trickier to get right.

Jimini II

Minisportusa.com sells the jet with the conversion clip for around $35.00 and shipping is quick.

Flyinace2000

Quote from: Jimini II on December 28, 2017, 09:46:01 AM
Minisportusa.com sells the jet with the conversion clip for around $35.00 and shipping is quick.

https://usa.minisport.com/aue1111-su-jet-conversion-waxstat-to-conventional-su-hs4.html

$22!  Nice recommendation. Thanks!

Flyinace2000

Here is my shopping cart.  Do i need everything or should i break some of that stuff out ala cart?

Jimini II

No that looks good unless there is any needle wear you could replace that also. Us the FI clips and decent 1/4" fuel hose as suggested and you should be good to go. Don't loose the choke cable clamp if you disconnect it and don't over tighten the accelerator cable clamp. You can actually replace the jet without removing the choke and accelerator cables If they are worn you may as well replace them as well).

Flyinace2000

Can you guys help me I'd where each of these gaskets are used. Mostly the small ones.

MiniDave

Are those HIF gaskets? The bottom pic looks for sure like the o-ring that goes under the carb for the float bowl.....the middle pics also look like they could be for an HIF.....

Edit: no, they seem to be for HS carbs....my bad

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Jimini II

The top picture.
Large black washer looks like the carb damper washer.
Large siilver washer looks like the washer that fits under the jet bushing (not need to disturb if you have a swinging needle).
Small silver washer looks like it fits on the end of the jet tube next to the spring.
Small black washer Looks like it fits the jet tube next to the silver one to create a seal between the jet and the the float bowl.

The bottom picture.
The large black O ring looks like the float bowl seal of a HIF carb.
Not sure on the others some of these kits fit multiple applications and you just use what you need.

Flyinace2000

Quote from: Jimini II on January 14, 2018, 04:10:17 PM
The top picture.
Large black washer looks like the carb damper washer.
Large siilver washer looks like the washer that fits under the jet bushing (not need to disturb if you have a swinging needle).
Small silver washer looks like it fits on the end of the jet tube next to the spring.
Small black washer Looks like it fits the jet tube next to the silver one to create a seal between the jet and the the float bowl.

The bottom picture.
The large black O ring looks like the float bowl seal of a HIF carb.
Not sure on the others some of these kits fit multiple applications and you just use what you need.

Awesome, thanks!

Flyinace2000

Got it installed. Didn't have to remove much to just do teh bowl.  I removed the main nuts holding it to the manifold to allow me to wiggle it a bit.  But otherwise was able to do everything w/ a 1/4 driver and some extensions. 

Having the freebie carb was a lifesafer so i could examine things on the bench to know how they come apart.

Won't get to test until the morning. Plan on doing a basic tune up in the garage to get idle and mixture close, then bring it to a local guy to dial it in. This assumes I don't spray fuel everywhere.

Flyinace2000

Wow she fired right up.  Only cranked for 10 or 15 seconds while the bowl re-filled.  Need to re-do idle and mixture next. But so far a success!  Thanks all.