(Sold) ProTech Coilovers

Started by MiniDave, October 12, 2017, 09:53:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiniDave

Complete set of ProTech coilovers with adjustable shocks. Lightweight aluminum bodies, adjustable shocks so you can easily set the stiffness you like.....adjustable spring perches allow you to set the ride height where you want it too. Complete with all brackets and hardware, ready to install. Easy installation, the only hard part is that you have to move or even remove the fuel tank to get to the left rear top shock mount. If you have a set of dead rubber springs this is an easy and cost effective replacement, plus you get the full adjustability of the ride stiffness and height, no special tools required to install. Plus they are lightweight and look pretty cool!

These have done about 2000 miles on my car and are in as-new condition....pics show then as they were removed from my car yesterday. Yes, I did rinse the dust off.   ;D

New currently $700 plus shipping from England

Asking $450 obo - full set

Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

gr8kornholio

So guess the question is:  What didn't you like about them? 

I'm considering suspension change and have lots of irons in the fire for what to do.
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

MiniDave

Mostly they were fine, but a little too aggressive for an old man like me. Mostly of the driving I do with this car is highway, so a smooth ride is more what I'm looking for than aggressive turn in. These are not harsh, once I got them dialed in a bit and a few miles on them, but they're not quite like the stock cones.

I think for someone who likes to set the car low and have really sharp handling, they're perfect.

I went back to stock rubber cones and Hi-Los. I'll soon know if it was the right move or not, but judging from other cars I've driven with new cones, I think I'll like them better.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

gr8kornholio

Ok, my car has the coil spring conversion with hi lo and it's biggest problem I see is travel.  It seems to bottom out constantly and looking at the springs it's not a surprise, there isn't much room for it to compress.  Any problems with that on these?

"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

MiniDave

No, not if you set the ride height correctly.....these springs are quite a bit longer so they have a little more travel and don't coil bind on bumps - which is probably what you're feeling.

But if you set any car too low, the suspension has no travel and will bottom out unless it's really stiff.....and if it's that stiff you'll hate driving it on normal roads.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

gr8kornholio

Yea, mine is by no means low.  There is a good 4 finger gap between tire and arch. 

MPlayle

Might be an interesting "bling" factor on the Moke?

I haven't tried to take off the upper front shock mounts from the current body, so don't know their condition, these look like they include that component, so that would potentially solve any issue of the old ones not coming off in good shape.

Edit:
How do the bottom brackets for the fronts work?  Where do they mount?

MiniDave

Yes, everything you need is there....all the brackets and hardware for the install are included.

These are a very simple and easy install, the bottom bracket fits over the upper ball joint, under the nut, and you remove the shock mount bolt and install a bolt there...easy peasy. I'll see if I can find a pic.

You do have to widen where the rear shocks mount to clear the new coils - I just took a mallet and banged them out a bit - no biggy.

I've had a lot of solid enquiries, so if you want them you'll need to move fast...first guy with the $$$ wins.

Pics of the rear shock upper mount and front lower mount....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

I already have new cones, knuckle joints and shocks for going on the Moke so if someone else steps up first it is no problem.

As light as a Moke is, they might be "overkill" anyway.

MiniDave

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad