Drip rail replacement question.

Started by sxsman, September 29, 2017, 02:48:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sxsman

At the front and rear it curves in slightly following the roof line.

Thinking of using a shrinker/ stretcher to shrink the metal at the corners for a cleaner look.
Kerfing is easier but cutting slats I would think would open up more areas for rust to start.

At Longbridge I doubt they cared much.
I have a specialty spot welder and planned on spot welding rather than MIG plug welding.  (Less prep and clean-up )

What have you guys done ?

94touring

If you're talking about making a roof corner and gutter/drip rail, I've always just sat down and created a section by hand to graph in. I've never had the luxury of fancy stretchers and such.  Sounds fun though!  Pics of what you're dealing with?

sxsman

It's the 3' + section of angled metal above the door and rear window that fits between front and rear seam finishers. Welds to the side gutter.
It's a straight piece of metal.
But where you weld it at the corners it curves in slightly following the roof curve. It's been suggested that I could weld it at the corner and force bend it to fit. Might work.  Might also distort the angled metal.

sxsman

I'm visiting back east.

Post a picture when I get home.

BruceK

So you've got a newer bodyshell and want to replicate the drip rail feature from earlier Minis?   
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

sxsman

No

Mk1 that had been a race car. I'm putting it back in street trim.

94touring

I may have a section of mk1 gutter and lip for you.  Just need to see what you're dealing with.

sxsman

I have new drip rails from Mini Sport. 
They're laser straight. When you put them under the gutter they fit perfect except for the last 2 inches close to the front and rear seam finishers where the corner of the roof is. It curves in slightly.

You can see the drip rail slightly curves as it approaches the corner.

Plan on spot welding rather than MIG plug welding.

sxsman

(Don't know why the image twists from the original)

94touring

Ah I see now.  Needs some massaging.

Pics are due to a forum glitch.  I resize within an app and orientate accordingly if they are upside down before I post.

MiniDave

Requires a bit of fettling, as they say.....   ::)  ;D
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

sxsman

Hey Dave.

Yup, although easier to kerf it can open up more surface areas prone to rusting.
Leaning towards shrinker/stretcher.

Although it will be on a rotisserie and would be easy to lead over. Then more filing and surface prep for something you don't see.

sxsman

MiniSport couldn't answer whether the new drip rails are supplied in weld thru primer or not. Got the new rails to conform to the body lines and filed and smoothed edges.
Sanded and put into weld thru primer.

sxsman