new keys?

Started by Dmulder, September 17, 2017, 01:59:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dmulder

Friends,
Somehow this weekend in the shuffle between different cars I have either lost or misplaced my keys.  I have spent the last 3 hours turning the house upside down looking for them.  I have searched through both of our other vehicles.  I have searched my office at church.  Odd thing is the car was locked.  I can only lock the car with the keys (I'm not sure this is a normal mini thing or not).  I am wondering if anybody has a spare set of door keys and a spare ignition that they might be looking to sell or of someone might now a way I can get some new keys cut without the old ones.
It is titled as a 1976 but other things indicate mid 80's.  Thanks for the help in advance.

Devin
"In like a lamb, Out like a lion."

MPlayle

Many of the Mini Saloons would only permit the driver's door to be locked by key (especially the MK-I and MK-II cars).

The later locks would only let the inside lock work if the door was closed (cannot "pre-lock" the open door then close it).

An old-fashioned locksmith may still have the blanks and be able to cut new keys for you.

MiniDave

Yes, the key being "old fashioned", or one that's been in business since say the 60's. You can buy the blanks easily from any of the usual suspects - MM, 7Ent, Vicky Brits, GB parts etc if the locksmiths don't have them. One of the first things I do when I buy a Mini is to have a few extra keys made...
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Dmulder

so assuming that the numbers don't match up if I buy the blanks can a lock smith still make keys for them with out the original keys or numbers?

MiniDave

Yep, they do it all the time......but it would be easier if you could find your old keys!   ::) ;D

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Dmulder

Dave - Agreed.  However, I'm going to operate under the assumption that finding my old keys isn't going to happen.  I believe that they must have fallen out of my pocket at some point.  I had them on their own key ring and had driven the mini earlier in the day and had them in my pocket with the other keys.  I am going to guess that after I go through all the trouble of ordering the blanks, finding a lock smith who can make new keys without the old ones or without numbers of any sort, that I will find them in a place I would have never thought to look.
I already had to cut out the back window to get in and unlock it.  Thank God I had already ordered the new back seals and had them sitting in the basement.
2 more questions - This is an Austin mini.  When I'm looking up key blanks I see that the blanks only fit the newly made lucas locks.  Not sure if this is what I need or not.  http://www.minimania.com/part/BHM7107/Classic-Austin-Mini-Ignition-Switch-Locking-Assembly-1976-And-Later
Do I need to take in the ignition switch and the door handle locks to get new keys made?

MiniDave

If you take one door lock and the ign lock, that will save you some money at the locksmith's....that should be all you need unless the trunk lock was different - it shouldn't be but sometimes people  had to buy a new boot lock for some reason or other.

If the locksmith has the blanks, you're golden.....my old downtown smithy had them in stock. I would have them make at least two sets.....

Ignition

https://www.7ent.com/products/key-blank-locking-ignition-up-to-1989-aau8276a.html

Door

https://www.7ent.com/products/key-blank-door-boot-ignition-key1.html

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

An alternative is to buy the special package deal set of all new exterior door handles and a new boot handle that use the same key.   It's just £44 (about $69) from MiniSpares and they supply 2 new keys with it:   http://www.minispares.com/product/Classic/Body/Doors/Locks/CZH1785.aspx?030403&ReturnUrl=/product/Classic/Body/Doors/Locks/CZH887.aspx|Back to

Also, MiniSpares makes the ignition lock you referenced above and they sell it for just £35 (about $48) --  less than MiniMania and you get two new keys as well.   http://www.minispares.com/product/Classic/Electrics/Switches,%20stalks/BHM7107.aspx?0912&ReturnUrl=/search/classic/bhm7107.aspx|Back to search

So, for less than $120 plus shipping you'd have new keys that are guaranteed to work -- and brand new locks too!

Typically, an order Sunday night to MiniSpares arrives by Thursday or Friday, so no worries about shipping times from the UK.

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

jeff10049

I had no keys with my mini when I bought it the local locksmith here had the blanks in stock and made keys no problem.
It was very fast and inexpensive I took the boot handle with me and they keyed from that.

Jeff

Dmulder

Jeff - thanks. Being a ups driver affords me some connections in town. My friend who delivers to a local lock smith suggested the same thing. I will be attempting this today. I'm not to sad about taking the rear window out to get in as I needed to replace the rear trim.
I enjoy being a part of this forum. The help and endless resource of knowledge has been a huge pet in my mini owning success and enjoyment.   Thanks for helping a British car novice as many times as you have.

BruceK

For those of us that still have original keys to the doors and boot lid of our cars (and not one cut by a locksmith), it can be helpful to note the "FS" numbers  stamped into the keys.   There are only so many different FS keys out there (most seem to start with FS 9xx) and if you lose one you might just find an owner of some other British car has the correct FS key he no longer needs.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

BruceK

Did you get news keys?   Was it simple for a locksmith to do?
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

Dmulder

Bruce - yes I did get some keys made. A lock smith made me some from the tumbler I took in to him. They are a bit longer than I would like so now that I have a pattern I may purchase some of the actual mini size keys and have them cut. It was simple. I think I paid $50.00