Lone Star Mini Restoration

Started by Lone Star Mini, August 31, 2017, 10:25:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cstudep

Nice! Replacing the entire bottom of the car sounds like a whole lot more of an undertaking than piecing in parts here and there that is for sure.

Lone Star Mini

Quote from: cstudep on November 12, 2020, 10:57:02 AM
Nice! Replacing the entire bottom of the car sounds like a whole lot more of an undertaking than piecing in parts here and there that is for sure.

I believe you are correct, but the reasoning is two fold.  1. I don't have the skill level (yet) to repair and 2. I want the satisfaction that my first mini will be fully restored given it already has/had many patch jobs already.
Lone Star Mini
1982 Morris Mini 1000HL (heck of a lot of work ahead of me)
1992(?) Mini Cooper
1964 Austin Cooper
1980 Mini 95 (Pickup)

Lone Star Mini

While I am unable to keep up or in tune with the restoration mini forum and you fabulous people out there, my personal restoration is making progress.   With that said and one daughter starting University, another daughter starting to drive and a wife going back for a Master's degree, life limits my pure mini focus.  Although I have learned that I believe the journey of my first restoration may be enjoyed more than having a beautiful mini sit in the garage.  My journey has also included a little fortune here and there and at times I wonder if somehow we are merely drawn to other mini owners in mysterious ways.  This go-round, I wonder ..  what are the odds?  During the process of looking for a good used car for my daughter, we drove down to Austin to test drive a car.  My daughter almost decided on a a newer Mini, but a volvo won out.  On this particular used car test drive through a neighborhood, my daughter said "Dad.. I just saw a mini!!"  I said "No way....."  She then said "Dad, I know what a classic mini looks like and I just saw a mini..."  Long story short, I made a U-turn to test out the turning radius and sure enough, my daughter saw only the front end of this mini.  I backed into the driveway and the owner just happened to be in the yard.. longer story shorter, I did not catch his name (hard of hearing), but my daughter caught the name of someone he recommended for mini engines..  a Jim Davidson.  I managed to find Jim via the Mini Mania forum and we've chatted a couple times now and he seems like a great guy.  Jim in turn gave me the name of a machine shop that he has used for the past 20 years along with answering quite a few questions I've had.  While this forum and others have a wealth of info, it's a small relief knowing there is someone semi-close.  While my restoration status has gaps in the timeline, I have made positive connections that are certainly note worthy.  This mini along with those of Jim's are all Mark I's...  geez how cool is that?!?  Now, apart from this and making me proud, today my daughter drove the pickup around the neighborhood which was the first time she drove an English R/H steering car.
Lone Star Mini
1992(?) Mini Cooper
1964 Austin Cooper
1980 Mini 95 (Pickup)

cstudep

That is a sweet Mini!

Any idea what the old bike in the background is? Almost looks like it could be an old Triumph or something.

Lone Star Mini

Quote from: cstudep on November 14, 2020, 10:09:26 PM
That is a sweet Mini!

Any idea what the old bike in the background is? Almost looks like it could be an old Triumph or something.

sorry.. I do not have a clue.  there were a few old looking bikes tucked away.  I only had a few short minutes with this nice guy, but I may try to find him again since my daughter is down there at UT now.
Lone Star Mini
1992(?) Mini Cooper
1964 Austin Cooper
1980 Mini 95 (Pickup)

cstudep

Old bikes are a bit a weakness of mine, especially old racing bikes.

Lone Star Mini

while my entire mini floor and boot floor are basically ready to be located and welded in, I'm simply not ready to put the welder to the mini yet (not confident in my welding skills yet).  Therefore I have diverted yet again to another fun project.  I'm taking the scrap front end and turning it into a Mini Tool Cabinet.  The cabinetry is the easy part, but this is already giving me the opportunity of welding on actual mini panels.  The end result will be a roll around tool cabinet that looks like the front end of the mini.  The drawers work nicely and now to figure out the remainder of the storage under the bonnet....   
Lone Star Mini
1992(?) Mini Cooper
1964 Austin Cooper
1980 Mini 95 (Pickup)

BruceK

What a great idea!  Can't wait to see what it looks like when it's done.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

Lone Star Mini

Quote from: BruceK on December 01, 2020, 07:37:07 AM
What a great idea!  Can't wait to see what it looks like when it's done.

Thanks Bruce..  just realized that I don't have a large enough piece of scrap birch..  will actually have go buy half a sheet.  However I do hope to get most of this accomplished in the month of December...
Lone Star Mini
1992(?) Mini Cooper
1964 Austin Cooper
1980 Mini 95 (Pickup)

cstudep

Can't wait to see it, this is going to be so cool! Love how the drawer opens out through the grill area!

Lone Star Mini

Quote from: cstudep on December 01, 2020, 08:40:31 PM
Can't wait to see it, this is going to be so cool! Love how the drawer opens out through the grill area!
Thanks..   scratching my head over getting the seam between the bonnet and wings perfect.  When I sand blasted the inside of the bonnet, I noticed the filler was extremely thick along the edges.  I'm thinking I will have to add filler/bondo back in order to get pretty seams.  There are two drawers coming out of the grille and they work quite well with soft close slides.  Trying to decide on the wheels now...
Lone Star Mini
1992(?) Mini Cooper
1964 Austin Cooper
1980 Mini 95 (Pickup)

cstudep

So just like on nearly all the car rebuild threads, fitting the bonnet to the wings nicely proves to be a bit of a headache. At least you don't have the scuttle panel to worry about........or perhaps you do and you just aren't showing it yet.

94touring

Please don't add filler to close the gap on the seams.  When I mount wings I will use screws to pull them in towards the inner wing.  It's my way of using a 2nd pair of hands to hold them till I throw in some spot welds. When I'm done I weld up the holes where the screws were.

Edit: if it's for the drawer project have at it with filler.

Lone Star Mini

Quote from: 94touring on December 02, 2020, 06:21:37 AM
Please don't add filler to close the gap on the seams.  When I mount wings I will use screws to pull them in towards the inner wing.  It's my way of using a 2nd pair of hands to hold them till I throw in some spot welds. When I'm done I weld up the holes where the screws were.

Edit: if it's for the drawer project have at it with filler.

Yes..  for the actual restoration, no way.  This particular issue is for the tool cabinet.  I am still trying to find a way to pull in the the wings so that I do not have to use filler.
Lone Star Mini
1992(?) Mini Cooper
1964 Austin Cooper
1980 Mini 95 (Pickup)

cstudep

You may have to fabricate some sort of "inner wing" that you can then attach the lip of the wing to just like it would on the car. It looks like the drawers are inbound of that plane but its sort of hard to tell. That would also give you a vertical face to finish off the "hatch area" under the bonnet from the rest of it. You could probably even use wood, rather than metal so long as it was substantial enough to resist the pull of the wings.

Lone Star Mini

Quote from: cstudep on December 02, 2020, 06:46:00 AM
You may have to fabricate some sort of "inner wing" that you can then attach the lip of the wing to just like it would on the car. It looks like the drawers are inbound of that plane but its sort of hard to tell. That would also give you a vertical face to finish off the "hatch area" under the bonnet from the rest of it. You could probably even use wood, rather than metal so long as it was substantial enough to resist the pull of the wings.

Good ideas.. I think I have the structure figured out with hopes of getting to work on it this weekend.  My next step is to solidify the location of the wing and run welded beam across the back and front...  my biggest problem right now is organizing the storage space.. 
Lone Star Mini
1992(?) Mini Cooper
1964 Austin Cooper
1980 Mini 95 (Pickup)

Lone Star Mini

A little more progress on the custom Mini Tool Cabinet.  To date, I have the framework / bracing and the interior cabinetry complete.  I am scratching my head over how to best build/create the axle.  I have a plan, but somehow I feel that it could be better.  It would be so much easier to make the wheels stationary  All in all, it's coming along nicely and it's giving me more knowledge of the front panels and welding experience.
Lone Star Mini
1992(?) Mini Cooper
1964 Austin Cooper
1980 Mini 95 (Pickup)

Lone Star Mini

This tool cabinet has given me wonderful practice in just about every area that I need for my restoration.  Metal forming, cutting, shaping, and welding.  I've learned that I can weld on an acceptable level when I can easily access the area.  If I have to reach, lay on the ground or use my left hand, then my welding gets worse.  I'm now at the point where I am removing stickers and rust in preparation for my own bondo work before painting.  The wiring is now complete, minus two indicator lights which I have to order.  The USB and all outlets are working perfectly and the interior is basically finished with the exception of shadow boxing all the my mini tools....  One step closer to being complete and project well done...
Lone Star Mini
1992(?) Mini Cooper
1964 Austin Cooper
1980 Mini 95 (Pickup)

94touring

Lone Star Mini

Quote from: 94touring on January 02, 2021, 04:34:50 PM
Nicely done!
Thanks Dan and I believe I will actually use this vs being a mere garage rolling art piece...
Lone Star Mini
1992(?) Mini Cooper
1964 Austin Cooper
1980 Mini 95 (Pickup)

BruceK

Quote from: Lone Star Mini on January 02, 2021, 04:50:31 PM
Quote from: 94touring on January 02, 2021, 04:34:50 PM
Nicely done!
Thanks Dan and I believe I will actually use this vs being a mere garage rolling art piece...

It's both functional and artistic!  Nice job.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

Lone Star Mini

Quote from: BruceK on January 02, 2021, 07:17:01 PM
It's both functional and artistic!  Nice job.

thank you Bruce..  Now I just have to pull of a nice paint job...   
Lone Star Mini
1992(?) Mini Cooper
1964 Austin Cooper
1980 Mini 95 (Pickup)