Lone Star Mini Restoration

Started by Lone Star Mini, August 31, 2017, 10:25:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lone Star Mini

Quote from: Lone Star Mini on September 20, 2017, 05:01:57 AM
Quote from: MPlayle on September 19, 2017, 09:10:22 PM
Also, what has gone unnoticed about the pictures of your trumpet and cone: the cone has separated.  What appears to be a dome on the big end of the trumpet is actually supposed to be bonded into the bottom of the rubber cone.  It is also where the captive nut is supposed to be (visible when on the bottom of the cone).

Where yours has separated, I would set it back onto the other part of the cone to support it when trying to knock the dome from the trumpet.

Ah.  After re-reading this (lunch break), i understand what you are saying. 
Lone Star Mini
1982 Morris Mini 1000HL (heck of a lot of work ahead of me)
1992(?) Mini Cooper
1964 Austin Cooper
1980 Mini 95 (Pickup)

Lone Star Mini

Question for anyone listening in...  I have the front subframe totally detached yet the jack stands are still holding it all up.  If I had a little experience, i would have started this restoration with the mini located under something that I could hold the shell up while letting down the jacks.  Instead I have built a dolly that fits perfectly under the shell between wheels.  Under a full weight car, the jack points are specifically the frames.  w/o engine, front sub and interior, will the shell sit on a dolly w/o deformation to the floor panels?  The rear is still jacked up so the weight is distributed there too...  Thanks in advance. 
Lone Star Mini
1992(?) Mini Cooper
1964 Austin Cooper
1980 Mini 95 (Pickup)

MiniDave

Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Lone Star Mini

Lone Star Mini
1992(?) Mini Cooper
1964 Austin Cooper
1980 Mini 95 (Pickup)

Lone Star Mini

The front sub is out.  Unfortunately I did not build my dolly tall enough so I had to rig it up on the front end.  I guess I'll have to rig the rear up too.  I still have a trumpet/cone assembly to remove on the L/H side.

Question for the field of experience.  As expected, the bottom of the car has years of grime & crud buildup.  With respect to cleaning this to a workable/paintable surface, what cleaning supplies has worked best for you?  Haven't decided how to finish the underside yet, but I must clean it first before I can even address rust and repair.  I can borrow a pressure washer if that has been effective to anyone.

Also, I plan on powder coating the subframes.  Any ill or favored advice for powder coating the frames?  I have half a mind to choose a color (vs black).
Lone Star Mini
1992(?) Mini Cooper
1964 Austin Cooper
1980 Mini 95 (Pickup)

MiniDave

Unless you're going to have it sandblasted, scrapers and wire brush on an angle grinder will do the job, but make a horrible mess.

Dan uses a wet blaster to take the car down to the metal, if you can find someone in your area that does it that way I think that's what I would do......

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

If you're just trying to clean, then use lots of degreaser.  If you're removing scale and flakey undercoat/paint, then get a needle scaler.  If it really needs stripped then sand/wet blast.

Lone Star Mini

Thanks Gents..   just trying to think ahead at my next step.  I still have a little metal work to do on the rotisserie.  I figure all the cleaning will begin one I get the Shell up.  All in all, I think the shell is in fairly good shape, but will learn more soon.
Lone Star Mini
1992(?) Mini Cooper
1964 Austin Cooper
1980 Mini 95 (Pickup)

jeff10049

Polycarbide wheels are badass they will conform to the ribs in the floor, also great for rain gutters. They go away fast but minis are small enough it doesn't matter.
No experience with the harbor freight stuff just used the link for an example.
https://www.harborfreight.com/4-inch-polycarbide-abrasive-wheel-brush-94015.html

Jeff

Lone Star Mini

Quote from: jeff10049 on September 21, 2017, 08:05:20 PM
Polycarbide wheels are badass they will conform to the ribs in the floor, also great for rain gutters. They go away fast but minis are small enough it doesn't matter.

Thanks Jeff..  I'll give it a try.. 
Lone Star Mini
1992(?) Mini Cooper
1964 Austin Cooper
1980 Mini 95 (Pickup)

Lone Star Mini

Quote from: Willie_B on August 31, 2017, 12:52:05 PM
Welcome aboard.
You are in good company now. So far we have no trolls and all the folks here are willing to share info and time.
Thanks Willie..  would love to meet you at some point.  We lived in Macon, GA of 9 yrs and my family still lives in that area.  nearly every time we go back, we find ourselves up in Stone Mtn which is near you I believe...
Lone Star Mini
1992(?) Mini Cooper
1964 Austin Cooper
1980 Mini 95 (Pickup)

Lone Star Mini

Bruce,  it was great to meet you today as you passed through.   I appreciate you taking the time to stop by driving that beautiful '88 of yours.   I look forward to the all Brit car show tomorrow.   

How does your mini handle the 75mph speed limit?
Lone Star Mini
1992(?) Mini Cooper
1964 Austin Cooper
1980 Mini 95 (Pickup)

94touring

Quote from: Lone Star Mini on September 23, 2017, 07:48:47 AM
I appreciate you taking the time to stop by driving that beautiful '88 of yours. 

Yeah it's ok I guess lol  77.gif

BruceK

Yeah.  It's kinda okay.  ;D

Randy,  it was great meeting you too.  Hope to see you again tomorrow at the car show. 

I cruise about 65 to 70 - there's a sweet spot there where the car and the engine just smooth out. 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

Lone Star Mini

Quote from: 94touring on September 23, 2017, 07:53:06 AM
Quote from: Lone Star Mini on September 23, 2017, 07:48:47 AM
I appreciate you taking the time to stop by driving that beautiful '88 of yours. 

Yeah it's ok I guess lol  77.gif

'94....'.  I understand you cleaned up some rust and painted it.   Nice job!!  I'm envious of your mini skills. 
Lone Star Mini
1992(?) Mini Cooper
1964 Austin Cooper
1980 Mini 95 (Pickup)

Lone Star Mini

Bruce,  if that last pic was taken on your way south. I know exactly where you were.  65 was about all I wanted to push the mini Imcurrently  restoring.  It's good to know that I was right on target with your driving. 
Lone Star Mini
1992(?) Mini Cooper
1964 Austin Cooper
1980 Mini 95 (Pickup)

MiniDave

Was it dark when you left, or when you got there?

Is Emma entered in the show?

We need pics!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

It was dark when I left this morning at 6am.  I wanted to drive in the morning when it is cooler.  Even after daybreak it stayed pretty cool because it was overcast.  Excellent.  The car ran great and no crazy drivers.  I got lots of thumbs up from other motorists.  4.gif.    I stopped by the event hotel and I am all registered for tomorrow now.    I've seen 3 Minis so far - they were on the rally (I didn't participate) and drove by in the opposite direction. 

I had booked a room for tonight but when I did a drive by of the hotel I didn't really like the look of things. So I just used an app and found a nicer place to stay. 

The car show is tomorrow - I'll post photos following it.    Tonight I'm having dinner with an old friend who lives nearby.  Actually, we are both old!  ;D
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

Lone Star Mini

I finally have a rolling shell.  Although there are still some bits that need to be removed.  I also got to meet BruceK today who was kind enough to stop along with his way South.  Bruce seems like a great guy.  Seeing Bruce's Mini gave me a little hope to what my Mini will look like one day. I guess now I will try to finish the rotisserie attachment and begin cleaning.  The subframes appear to be in good shape, from what I can tell.  With that said, I have nothing to compare against.

For all you experienced folk,  when tearing down an engine, what is the best way to support the block?  Should I put it on an engine stand or simply work on a bench or ?  If putting it on an engine stand, where are the best attach points and would you happen to know what size bolts?  I know MiniDave told me where to attach the engine hoist so I will follow his direction when I lift it again.
Lone Star Mini
1992(?) Mini Cooper
1964 Austin Cooper
1980 Mini 95 (Pickup)

MiniDave

A lot depends on the design of your engine stand, I've mounted them from the flywheel end and the side. To mount from the side you may need to make an adaptor - it bolts to where the oil filter housing attaches to the block, and to the holes that the alternator bracket bolts to. Of course, to attach to the flywheel end you have to remove the flywheel......

I've also built them on workbenches and milkcrates....

I'll see if I have some pics.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Lone Star Mini

Thanks Dave.. I'll have a look at the engine tomorrow.  I think I would like to attach it to the oil filer and alternator attach points...   
Lone Star Mini
1992(?) Mini Cooper
1964 Austin Cooper
1980 Mini 95 (Pickup)

MiniDave

2nd pic from the bottom shows an adaptor plate made to do that, you can buy those online but it might not fit the head of your stand.....I was able to adjust the attaching legs on my stand to bolt up that way, but it doesn't work with a pre-A engine, only A+ (which yours should be)

The bolt holes are slightly offset, about 3/8" (top to bottom) so you can't use just a flat plate

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Lone Star Mini

Quote from: MiniDave on September 23, 2017, 09:15:49 PM
2nd pic from the bottom shows an adaptor plate made to do that, you can buy those online but it might not fit the head of your stand.....I was able to adjust the attaching legs on my stand to bolt up that way, but it doesn't work with a pre-A engine, only A+ (which yours should be)

The bolt holes are slightly offset, about 3/8" (top to bottom) so you can't use just a flat plate
My engine stand has 4 moveable/rotatable arms.  It may work out well.  I will try to determine that today if I'm able..
Lone Star Mini
1992(?) Mini Cooper
1964 Austin Cooper
1980 Mini 95 (Pickup)

MiniDave

So does mine (top 4 pics), and I was able to adjust them to work, but you will need spacers to square it up due to the offset of the holes.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Lone Star Mini

No work (yet) on my Mini today, but I went to the All British Car Show down in Round Rock, TX.  Met Bruce again down there along with a couple others.   The show had everything from Bentley to Lotus to Aston Martins..... Of course my favorite were the Minis.   To my surprise, every one of them was R/H steering.  There was an MK1, a '65 Wolseley convertable, but the best of them all.. *COUGH COUGH* was the '88 White Austin.  While it's not quite the shows in England, it was nice seeing these Minis together.
Lone Star Mini
1992(?) Mini Cooper
1964 Austin Cooper
1980 Mini 95 (Pickup)