Lone Star Mini Restoration

Started by Lone Star Mini, August 31, 2017, 10:25:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lone Star Mini

Had to rework the rotisserie as I was not happy with the canted upward forks.  I cut them off, cleaned them up and had a friend re-weld the arms with a perfect 90 degree angle.  I finished them and the rotisserie is ready to go minus attachment to car.  Looking for a Steel company that sells 2" tubing.  Meanwhile, I cleaned the engine a little and found that it was once yellow in color.  Waverli and I then made the wood dolly in preparation of removing everything else from the car.  I thought we were close, but I have to figure out how to remove the rear axle and sub-frames.  I'm not sure how difficult that is going to be.  To close out my day and since I won't be using them, I hung the 13" wheels (extra set that came with the second mini).  Hopefully Waverli and I will make good progress tomorrow since it's a holiday and I'm off of work.  Today's lessons for Waverli included measuring, marking and cutting lumber (including how to be safe using a miter saw).  Measuring, marking and drilling holes to attach swivel casters.  Removing and attaching air tools to the quick disconnect (seemed to be a challenge for her).  Then assembling the Dolly.  Another great day.. no hands on mini education, but effort towards the project none-the-less.
Lone Star Mini
1982 Morris Mini 1000HL (heck of a lot of work ahead of me)
1992(?) Mini Cooper
1964 Austin Cooper
1980 Mini 95 (Pickup)

94touring

That's one fancy rotisserie!  I slapped mine together (one car and one truck) with scrap metal from oil drilling pipe and anything else I had aound the shop. Complete with questionable welds and everything crooked, bowed, and rusty. 

Lone Star Mini

Quote from: 94touring on September 03, 2017, 08:55:09 PM
That's one fancy rotisserie!  I slapped mine together (one car and one truck) with scrap metal from oil drilling pipe and anything else I had aound the shop. Complete with questionable welds and everything crooked, bowed, and rusty.

Thanks '94...'    I made a trade for mine so paid very little for it, therefore couldn't pass it up.  The only real problem I will have it is where to store it once I'm finished with the second restoration.  I may resell it....   4.gif.

'94...'   can you educate me?  With the Tahiti blue h9820 k code you provided, where do I take that to have ti mixed?

Thanks
Lone Star Mini
1992(?) Mini Cooper
1964 Austin Cooper
1980 Mini 95 (Pickup)

94touring

I'm showing a national coating supply (ncs) in Waco near you.  I buy all my materials from them and they carry DuPont.  I've started using their house clear and primer with good results and lesonal paint as it has better coverage.  They can use the dupont code I provided and cross reference it to other brands usually. Their store is located at 1309 S Valley Mills Dr, Waco, TX 76711

MiniDave

Looks like you have your shop set up well.......the biggest problem I had when I restored my old Jag was where to store all the pieces parts I took off of it while I did the rust repairs to the body, where are you storing yours?

I was lucky, my next door neighbor bought a van  that wouldn't fit in her garage, so she let me store my boxes of stuff in hers.

If you google automotive paint stores in your area, I'm sure you'll find a local source for all your body shop needs. I know Dan buys sandpaper online cause he goes thru so much of it. You'll also need a couple kinds of primer, paint gun and air regulator and water trap, seam sealer and sanding blocks if you don't have those......don't forget a good respirator if you're going to prime it at home......

Dan maybe you could post some pics of where/how you bolt yours up to the car, so he can build the adaptors too?
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Not sure I have any pics, but basically just make a bracket and bolt it to the rear parcel shelf and front bulkhead where the master cylinders bolt to.  I go through the window openings but some guys go through the bulk head opening and access panel in the rear seat back if your shell has it. They bolt to the rear shock mounting points. I just find it easier going on the upper shelf.

MiniDave

Be sure to weld in some temp braces to keep the shell square if you're going to cut out a lot of metal....like entire floor panels.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Lone Star Mini

Quote from: 94touring on September 04, 2017, 06:30:34 AM
I'm showing a national coating supply (ncs) in Waco near you.  I buy all my materials from them and they carry DuPont.  I've started using their house clear and primer with good results and lesonal paint as it has better coverage.  They can use the dupont code I provided and cross reference it to other brands usually. Their store is located at 1309 S Valley Mills Dr, Waco, TX 76711

well thank you '94...'   thank you very much
Lone Star Mini
1992(?) Mini Cooper
1964 Austin Cooper
1980 Mini 95 (Pickup)

Lone Star Mini

MiniDave and '94...',

I greatly appreciate the input.  While plans change, my current plan is to paint the interior only along with a few odds & ends like the gas tank.  I will let a professional paint the exterior.  My working background is that of building VVIP aircraft interiors.  With that said, we have some of the most incredible painters, one of which also paints cars on the side.  I will hire him to paint the exterior and engine bay to a show quality finish.  I plan to have the subframes powder coated (haven't decided if I will do any other color than black) and I'm not sure what to do about the bottom of the shell.

As far as storing parts, I do have to rearrange a little, but I have the room to store as there are not that many items.  The engine will most likely be among my first project tasks while I save up for the paint job, therefore the engine will remain out front and center.  The rotisserie is on wheels so I should have little problems moving it about as needed. 

Back to the paint... In order to test out the color and practice a little more, I plan to repaint my tool chest and old bike frame tahiti blue. 

As for the rotisserie, I believe I have it figured out, just have to purchase 16' of 2" tube.  it turns out there is a steel company 2-3 miles from my house. I will check prices with them tomorrow and hopefully pick up some scrap metal for welding practice.  I plan to mount both front and rear rotisserie to the subframe mounting points.  At least this is what I've seen in pictures and seems structural sounds.  This will require some more metal working and welding.  With that said, I would love to see pictures of what you recommend or how you have done in the past. 
Lone Star Mini
1992(?) Mini Cooper
1964 Austin Cooper
1980 Mini 95 (Pickup)

MiniDave

What welder do you have?

Best for this type of sheet metal work is a gas/mig welder.......flux core will work, but the gas type is so much more accurate and easier to use and clean up after.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Here's one style which is similar to mine.

http://www.restorationmini.com/forum/index.php?topic=135.0

Here's one pic of one of mine. I use a hand winch that goes from the handle/large pipe on the rotis to an end on a leg to turn it whichever direction I want.

Lone Star Mini

Outstanding '94...'  Looks as though you truly know your way around minis with years of experience.  Perhaps over time I will learn peoples years of TLC on the Mini.  Currently everyone to me has far more knowledge....  by the way,  my name is Randy (which was a difficult name to grow up with in England).
Lone Star Mini
1992(?) Mini Cooper
1964 Austin Cooper
1980 Mini 95 (Pickup)

velopackrat

Randy (which was a difficult name to grow up with in England).

Took me a second for that to sink in but THAT is funny:)  Although I would think the young girls who took an interest...
Anyway, fun to follow your Mini project!  I'm in Ft. Worth although my car is an older Mk1.  Good to learn of other Texas based Minis--

Lone Star Mini

Quote from: velopackrat on September 04, 2017, 12:21:20 PM
I'm in Ft. Worth although my car is an older Mk1.  Good to learn of other Texas based Minis--

Would love to see your Mini!!
Lone Star Mini
1992(?) Mini Cooper
1964 Austin Cooper
1980 Mini 95 (Pickup)

Lone Star Mini

A little fun doodling for our Logo...
Lone Star Mini
1992(?) Mini Cooper
1964 Austin Cooper
1980 Mini 95 (Pickup)

gr8kornholio

Quote from: Lone Star Mini on September 05, 2017, 05:37:36 AM
Quote from: velopackrat on September 04, 2017, 12:21:20 PM
I'm in Ft. Worth although my car is an older Mk1.  Good to learn of other Texas based Minis--

Would love to see your Mini!!

I'd second that.  There are good amount of us classic owners in DFW.

That's a pretty sweet logo.
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

velopackrat

When you guys come through Ft. Worth, let me know in case I can meet you for a beverage.  My resto took 2.5 years but damn, what a beating.  I have nothing but respect for 94Touring and the other guys who have done many.  Not to mention, their work is super nice.  here's a couple of pics, although the little pig needs a bath.

velopackrat

Lone Star Mini

Quote from: velopackrat on September 05, 2017, 04:12:53 PM
When you guys come through Ft. Worth, let me know in case I can meet you for a beverage.  My resto took 2.5 years but damn, what a beating.  I have nothing but respect for 94Touring and the other guys who have done many.  Not to mention, their work is super nice.  here's a couple of pics, although the little pig needs a bath.

Beautiful Velopackrat!!   I'm guessing the engine may not be stock as it look as though you have a roll cage??     it does look wonderful !!
Lone Star Mini
1992(?) Mini Cooper
1964 Austin Cooper
1980 Mini 95 (Pickup)

Lone Star Mini

Not much time today, but I did have a neat experience in picking up the 2" steel tubing.  A new steel company moved in just down the road so I got to go in and see a little bit of steel work.  In the end, I picked up the material in order to attach the rotis to the shell.  Then in an effort of organizing in preparation for pulling the Shell w/ rotis into the shop, I cleaned up a little by building a wall hanger bracket for my ramps.  Now at least the large ramps are out of the way with easy access.  I have goals out in front of me.. as I too fear a 3-5 yr project.  I must do something every day if possible, even if it is only cleaning up from the day before....  I have learned in other projects that I can spend a lot of time looking for tools, therefore cleaning up to me is a time saver.
Lone Star Mini
1992(?) Mini Cooper
1964 Austin Cooper
1980 Mini 95 (Pickup)

Lone Star Mini

Quote from: velopackrat on September 05, 2017, 04:14:11 PM
Right, the whole car.

I don't have sufficient knowledge or history, but those side mirrors look like the new classic battery powered Mini that is in development.
Lone Star Mini
1992(?) Mini Cooper
1964 Austin Cooper
1980 Mini 95 (Pickup)

BruceK

Great-looking Mini!   (I may be kinda partial to the color combo you got there!) 

I'm on the east side of the Metroplex, but perhaps we can meet up at Cars & Coffee some time?
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

ADRay

Yay, another '82 1000 HL! Welcome
1982 Mini 1000 HL
@andyray998

MiniDave

sideways and upside down pics bug me.....  besides, she's looks so proud of her work!   4.gif

For future reference I hook one chain to the last exhaust manifold stud (using a big flat washer outside the chain link) and the other to the alternator bracket on the water pump, both are easily accessed when the engine is in the car and strong enough.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Lone Star Mini

Long work week so it was a few days since I touched the Mini.  Manage to near empty the engine bay although got a little stumped on the Brake system - I assume that is the master brake system.  It's tied to the pedals I see and I think I see a pin or something, but will tackle it tomorrow.  So I diverted my attention on to take a mental brake by removing the exhaust, finishing the dolly and jacking up the shell with expectation of pulling sub-frames out tomorrow.  Another item I'm currently stuck on is the speedometer cable that runs to the backside of the console.  I haven't figure out how to remove the speedometer cable from the console so that I can pull the cable through the bulkhead.  Perhaps a fresh start with a clear head tomorrow will help.  I am so close to an empty shell.  I do have a question if anyone happens to read this... I plan on replacing the entire wiring harness.  I know I can purchase England, but I'm wondering if there is a better choice.  I've noticed that some of the gauge wire is really small and I would like to improve upon this if at all possible.  Any suggestions is greatly appreciated.  Along with this, I'm not sure what all I want in the car, therefore I know my harness won't be "standard".  I hope to end up with a later Cooper "Look-a-Like" and therefore will be adding items which result in more wiring.  I know less about wiring than I do about a restoration (not good) so I've got a long journey and learning process ahead of me.   
Lone Star Mini
1992(?) Mini Cooper
1964 Austin Cooper
1980 Mini 95 (Pickup)