Lone Star Mini Restoration

Started by Lone Star Mini, August 31, 2017, 10:25:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lone Star Mini

Hi all!!  Found this forum through a mention on TMF so only recently joined.  My daughter and I have begun or '82 Mini 1000HL restoration.  The first car I ever knew was a mini although just now owning one 4 decades later. All within one year, I went from never owning a mini to having two.  I can only work one at a time though.   I have a great deal to learn not only about hands-on mini, but working with metal, wiring, engines, etc.    I have already learned that the mini Haynes manual is less than to be desired.   We are about at the rolling shell stage....getting ready for the rotisserie
Lone Star Mini
1982 Morris Mini 1000HL (heck of a lot of work ahead of me)
1992(?) Mini Cooper
1964 Austin Cooper
1980 Mini 95 (Pickup)

MiniDave

Hey Lone Star Mini, glad to see you join us - I was the one on TMF that give you the link - welcome!

If you have questions there are a number of very well informed Mini owners here, including our host who runs a classic Mini only body shop north of Tulsa.

We also have a number of members in your state too, so don't feel shy.....
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Lone Star Mini

Ah, Magneto. Thanks for the invite.  I will certainly read and inquire when I'm stuck.  If anyone from Texas happens to read this, I would welcome the comraderie.   I saw a paint not code topic so I will look there for my red, do we have paint codes for paint here in the US?   I have all the codes for England original mini colors, but I don't know how that translates to something that can be more mixed here.
Lone Star Mini
1992(?) Mini Cooper
1964 Austin Cooper
1980 Mini 95 (Pickup)

MiniDave

Dan, our forum owner will be the man to talk to on paint.....94Touring is his screenname.

We have members in Dallas and San Antonio ......

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Willie_B

Welcome aboard.
You are in good company now. So far we have no trolls and all the folks here are willing to share info and time.

MPlayle

Another welcome from one of the Texas members.  I am down in San Antonio.  My current project is a 1967 Moke.  I have a thread under the "Maintenance" grouping where I am sharing the work on the Moke.

gr8kornholio

Yet another welcome from a Texas owner, Allen, just north of Dallas here.  Congrats on the project and the tear down.  Nice wrench, love the father daughter project.  Mine will become a father son project, if I can keep his attention span in check.  Lol
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

BruceK

And welcome from another member in the DFW area!    You'll have to tell us how you acquired your two Minis.  Sounds like the other one is currently running? 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

Lone Star Mini

Thanks All !!!     To SAT and DFW, would love to see your projects as we are in both areas semi-often.  Let's see, Not sure if I mentioned that I have loved Minis my entire life.  When I built my first house, I also built a shop specifically designed for two minis.  Then we had kids and the shop slowly turned into a wood working shop.  Only now, 20 yrs later, am I trying to figure out how to reconvert it back for Minis w/o losing tool space.  My first Mini ('82 pictured left) was imported directly from England.  Boy howdy did I learn over that experience.  Thinking the Mini was from England, it actually had a Netherlands title which was a pain in the rear to obtain a title here in TX.  I would/will do it again in a heart beat as now I'm far more knowledgeable .  As I got ready to purchase a second mini, again I looked towards England.  Then just for the heck of it, I decided to look on Craigslist.  To my INCREDIBLE surprise, I found a mini (Mini on Right) for sale literally 5-6 miles from my house (UNBELIEVABLE).  Because I was already looking at England for my purchase (actually wanted a R/H car), I gave a low ball figure.  A week or so went by so I thought I insulted him (probably did).  Then I heard back and he countered offed with a wonderfully reasonable price.  Never in my wildest dreams could I have imagined that purchase being so close.   The Mini on the right is titled a '65 Cooper, but even with my novice background, I know it's nowhere near a '65.  I'm guessing it's a late 80's early 90's, but can't tell for sure.  Perhaps as I learn and begin to tear it down too, I will gain a better guess as to it's rightful age.  I'm currently driving the second mini while we restore the other.  Although a hose popped (thinking lower radiator) or something and I will have to make my first repair.
Lone Star Mini
1992(?) Mini Cooper
1964 Austin Cooper
1980 Mini 95 (Pickup)

MPlayle

Where are you basically located?

MiniDave

Profile says Hewitt, just outside Waco....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Quote from: MiniDave on August 31, 2017, 04:17:52 PM

In Texas terms that's relatively close to DFW by being just about two hours away!  And about 3 north of San Antonio.

I'm planning to drive past Hewitt on my way to the All British Car show in Round Rock in about 3 weeks.  Lone Star, perhaps we could meet up either on my way down, or on my way back home.   Or perhaps you might visit the show? 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

Lone Star Mini

Directly between SAT and DFW.. HEWITT TX (BASICALLY WACO)
Lone Star Mini
1992(?) Mini Cooper
1964 Austin Cooper
1980 Mini 95 (Pickup)

Lone Star Mini

Quote from: Lone Star Mini on August 31, 2017, 04:30:56 PM

Directly between SAT and DFW.. HEWITT TX (BASICALLY WACO)

I'm Game..  please tell me more about this All British car show..  I'm definitely interested.
Lone Star Mini
1992(?) Mini Cooper
1964 Austin Cooper
1980 Mini 95 (Pickup)

MPlayle

There is a thread on this forum about the show:

http://www.restorationmini.com/forum/index.php?topic=1409.0

The show website is here:

http://www.specialtypartshop.com/txabcd/

Edit:
I forgot about looking in the profile for location.

gr8kornholio

Nice mini's.  Mine is a 65, Australian.  Luckily it was already imported and titled.

HiJack  ;D  Bruce, are you going down just for the show and shine or are you making a weekend of it?

"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

BruceK

Quote from: gr8kornholio on August 31, 2017, 05:15:23 PM
Nice mini's.  Mine is a 65, Australian.  Luckily it was already imported and titled.

HiJack  ;D  Bruce, are you going down just for the show and shine or are you making a weekend of it?

Undecided at this time.  I'm weighing the options.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

94touring

Welcome to the forum. What red are you looking for?

Lone Star Mini

Quote from: 94touring on August 31, 2017, 05:41:34 PM
Welcome to the forum. What red are you looking for?

Thanks 94touring..  honestly can't say.  My daughter has to weigh in because it will be her car, flame red perhaps?   

side track to the All British Show..  Gents, I'm in.  this will give us a goal to shoot for in 2018 assuming we can totally restore "The Duchess" by then.
Lone Star Mini
1992(?) Mini Cooper
1964 Austin Cooper
1980 Mini 95 (Pickup)

94touring

If you decide to go flame red the paint shop can take the dupont code and cross reference it if you prefer something other than dupont.

Flame Red  92-97  100/CPQ    Dupont Code:  H9863

Lone Star Mini

Quote from: 94touring on August 31, 2017, 06:03:24 PM
If you decide to go flame red the paint shop can take the dupont code and cross reference it if you prefer something other than dupont.

Flame Red  92-97  100/CPQ    Dupont Code:  H9863
Thank you 94touring..  would you happen to have a code for the Tahiti Blue with Pearl and would you know if the code is a really good match?  Again, I thank you!
Lone Star Mini
1992(?) Mini Cooper
1964 Austin Cooper
1980 Mini 95 (Pickup)

94touring

Also called biarritz blue found under Rover at some places.  I've painted a few in Tahiti and pretty much dead on to a factory Tahiti blue I owned.

Tahiti Blue 97-00 = Biarritz blue, code h9820 K

Lone Star Mini

Thanks 94touring!!   I will learn more when I get to that stage.  Heck, I'm not sure where in the world to go to look for Auto paint.  I think I will attempt to paint the insides, but let skilled folk paint the outside.  Again,  I thank you!
Lone Star Mini
1992(?) Mini Cooper
1964 Austin Cooper
1980 Mini 95 (Pickup)

BruceK

Quote from: BruceK on August 31, 2017, 05:38:34 PM
Quote from: gr8kornholio on August 31, 2017, 05:15:23 PM

Undecided at this time.  I'm weighing the options.

I decided to make a weekend of it.  I got the time off and I plan to head to Round Rock on Friday.   Unless it is unbelievably hot weather, I plan to drive my Mini rather than tow it.   
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

gr8kornholio

Sounds like fun.  We have a concert Saturday night.  I'm putting it on next years calendar though.  Now back to our normal scheduled thread.